Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So correct following distance is pretty important...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So correct following distance is pretty important...

So I learned a pretty good lesson about following distance yesterday.

As it turns out, more distance does not eliminate risk as much as i had thought. As i was riding down the road yesterday i had about 100-150ft between me and the car in front of me. Heading for an intersection, the light changes to yellow. Meanwhile a car from the oncoming direction is out in the intersection waiting to make a left turn. At this point it was one of those "should i stop or speed up to get through" kind of things. I was too close to slow down so i went through before the light turned red. Of course, the car wanted to get through too.

Of course i had to swerve out of the way, and thankfully nothing happened. But it was close enough that it made me appreciate all my gear in case something did happen. I guess from now on I'll just have to be close enough that other cars won't be inclined to do the same thing.

I haven't even been riding for a full year yet, and this isn't even the first close call I've had, and I'm sure it wont be last.

Can't wait to get away from the busy roads here in Maryland.
    Let's go riding!

good to hear your still alive
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

I always stop. Work on emergency stops in a parking lot or something, it just might save your life, or skin. Glad you made it, though.
      sigpic

Comment

When doing emergency stops, do not support your bodyweight on the handlebars, "clutch" the tank with your knees to stop you from doing so. - If you manage to do this - it will be a safer and shorter stop - and if you lock your front wheel, it is less likely to skid sideways.

Comment

Glad you're alright. Stopping at the light is always good in a situation like that. You have to assume that others don't see you... and, in most cases, they honestly don't.

Comment

Originally posted by alien View Post
            Glad you're alright. Stopping at the light is always good in a situation like that. You have to assume that others don't see you... and, in most cases, they honestly don't.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

According to code, the distance the lines before the intersection go solid should equate to the required distance to stop (by the light) at the speed limit for that road, and the time for the yellow should be sufficient to go from the speed limit to a full stop in that distance.

With over 100 feet to stop in, why did you feel you couldn't stop safely?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

because the flow of traffic was like 60. Plus i felt safer going through since i have had bad experiences with trying to stop too fast
                Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                  since i have had bad experiences with trying to stop too fast
                  That would indicate a need for "Emergency stop/braking training" imho.

Part of our basic training program is on a closed track, here we practice various "dangerous" situations (car tire in the road, and nowhere to go, but over it, blocked road in a blind twist, emergency car avoidance followed by emergency breaking in 60+mph (80+kmh) - you had to be able to lock the front wheel, and release it. - Quite fun day at the track's - recommended for everyone...

Comment

Enough distance "just in case" is prudent and wise , but also EXPECT that drivers either don't see you , or WILL be stupid , and it'll help TONS in situations like this .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                      ...since i have had bad experiences with trying to stop too fast
                      As the others noted, it sounds like you need to work on your braking techniques... My guess is that your back brake isn't set "right" and that you over-rely on your front as a result of locking the rear at some point...

You may also need to do some preventative maintenance on your brakes (cleaning the rotors once a week is really a great place to start -- all that grime that builds up on your wheels also builds up on your rotors and reduces your stopping power). A bit of windex on a paper towel and wipe them down -- that's usually worth 15 to 20% better braking for the typical rider these days.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

First never blast through a intersection , make it a habit to slow down when ones comming up - just dont speed - then after , blast away when safe .....ride safe and dont take chances.... The two big ones a yellow and going around a car making a left in the intrsection

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                          The two big ones a yellow and going around a car making a left in the intrsection
                          It's not worth it. I like to make it a game, let's see how fast I can stop this time. Same as the "let's see how fast I can go around this turn this time"

If you're gonna go fast, you gotta be able to stop fast.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                          X