No announcement yet.
X

My girlfriends wants to ride 2 up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, thx for the feedback gang. I understand all of your points and I guess I'm just being selfish, which is a quality I never thought about me. I think I'm just trying to be over protective of her because of how much I love her. I most definitely know that she is the one! If it came down to it, I would sell my bike tonight to contribute towards placing a diamond on her finger. I may take her to a very large parking lot and get her going up to about 35 mph or so and call it a day, but I just can't risk putting her at risk.... she just means too much to me. Maybe I'll buy a Xbox or something and let her enjoy playing that with me instead!

Thx for all the feeback and opinions fellas, I really appreciate and value your thoughts, be safe....
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

The parking lot test is probably a great idea to start off with. Be careful though, you both might come addicted to 2-up riding!

Comment

I was thinking of taking a friend of mine riding with me as well. She says she digs bikes but I don't feel comfortable with the 2up thing. Maybe I should try riding with in the parking also and see where that leads to.
        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
        sigpic

Comment

My wifes been riding on the back of my bikes off and on for about 22 1/2 years. She took some time off for the most part while our kids were still young, but now she rides with me almost every weekend in the riding season. We put just over 1k miles on my Fazer in 5 days worth of riding 2 weeks ago when we were on vacation in So Cal, LA traffic and all. I agree that riding 2up would require a change of riding style/habits for you. Simple things like giving yourself more space in front of you in traffic, shifting below 6k rpm's when you might be used to 9-11k rpm when riding solo, giving yourself more time to slow down or stop, and slowing for corners a bit sooner etc, all go a long ways into keeping both rider and passenger safe. Chances are if you do start taking her for rides, within a few months, you won't even notice her on the back anymore. I also agree with CP on getting some signals between rider and passenger figured out before the ride. My wife just has to tap me on the shoulder and point to the side of the road, and I know she needs to stop for something (usually a rest room, or just to stretch her legs). She also knows if I downshift a couple gears, and tap her leg, it means she needs to hold on a little tighter while I pass a car that's been holding us up for a while.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

I say, get her good gear, and use this season to see if she really likes riding 2up, if she is, You might consider buying a bike for her. - My wife went out and got gear her self, without telling me, and it's great to share the experience, but I also know the feeling of wanting to ride solo - For me it's two different rides, going solo and going 2up - both are nice, but sometimes I prefer to go solo, and she understand.

The parking lot thing is a good idea, but check that it's clean, with no oil spill or sand for your corners... A friend of mine scratched up the fairing and exhaust on his RF900 while giving his GF "lessons" on a parking lot... none hurt, but the wallet, so better than traffic, but still sucks...

Comment

I think you should include your girl, she wants to be with you and ride. My wife doesn't have any desire to ride her own bike, but she loves to ride with me. We have a great time riding and even tear up the twisties together. We spend a week every year in Ky, carving up the corners together with friends. It is a blast!!!
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catcha23 View Post

I would love for her to experience it with me, but I'm just afraid to let her ride. I love her too much and would not want anything to happen to her if a cager just so happen to plow into us or something.
                Your logic is flawed . This implies you have no love for your self .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Riding with her on the back would most definitely be an adjustment for me. .... besides, I'd have to be taking my seat cowl on and off It's fairly simple to take on and off, but the lil metal tabs aren't in the best of shapes. I have however laid part of the groundwork for considering her to ride by purchasing another seat on ebay for a few bucks so that I won't have to keep taking the cowl off. It also helps when I need my tail bag along for the ride.

My GF is pretty small and light. She's fairly coordinated from what I gather, so I think should could handle riding with me but I don't think she's the type to get her own bike. Currently this is a long distance relationship. She lives in NY and has made a comitment to see me at least once every three weeks, so it's not like we see each other everyday or something. She just knows how I love to ride and she wants to experience it with me for the weekends that she spends with me. Who knows, I guess we'll just have to see...... time will tell. Thx for the feedback!
                  [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

sounds like a plan. there's no harm in getting her some gear, doesnt have to be top of the line or anything, but some decent gear, and just trying. who knows, she may hate riding, i doubt it, but it's a possibility. and if she does, oh well. you sell the gear you got her, make up most of the money, and in the end you'll only be out a small percentage of what you spent to begin with, and you're right back where you are now.
                    2004 Katana
                    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

CP gave you some sound advice.....be sure to go through signals and routines. A further piece of advice....when slowing down for train tracks while riding in town...you may want to lift/brace yourself a bit on the pegs so Jim and the Twins don't get crunched.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Catcha23 View Post
                        My girlfriend of a few months now wants to experience riding on the Kat with me. She says I get a gleam in my eye when I start talking about my bike and how great it feels being on the open road and she wants to share the experience with me.

I would love for her to experience it with me, but I'm just afraid to let her ride. I love her too much and would not want anything to happen to her if a cager just so happen to plow into us or something. I would feel terrible!! She wants to go shopping for all the gear and everything soon, but I'm trying to get the right words together to explain it to her that I love her too much to have something to happen to her on my bike. It's not that I'm selfish and don't want to share my first love (lol) but the thought of us in an accident and her getting killed or injured and my injuries minor..... would kill me!! I ride within my abilities and do nothing fancy while on my Kat, but that doesn't mean that a cager could run us down at a light or something.

As riders, we all take a risk starting our bikes up each day/ every weekend. I've come to terms with the thought of actually being killed on the bike and just say prayers before, during and after rides. Bottom line, I love her too much to have something happen to her, so I'm going to have to tell her in the nicest way possible to beat it, this Kat is mine.... all mines!!

So you dont want her to ride, for the same reason most people dont want you to ride.She just wants to see what your joy is, trying to experience it with you.
                        I want my wife to ride with me, she took one. She says its not for her. Im just happy she tried.
                        Not to be funny but you guys can be in ur cage and get t-boned by a truck and still get hurt or die..
                        2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

Share you love with your love!!!
                          pveity = 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbell View Post
                            If you don't want anyone on YOUR bike fine, I understand that. But to inhibit someone of doing something they might actually enjoy is really selfish. I'm sure she is an adult and can make her own decisions. Get her one of her own, some gear and quit being overbearing.
                            I agree fully with Tinkerbell...all except for the "overbearing" part. My fiance wanted to ride with me so badly, and I did finally allow her to. But, unlike your fear, my hang up was that I just dont feel comfortable (physically) with a passenger. After a few rides, I suggested (in my not so subtle Marine Corps way) that she get the heII off the back of my bike, and get her own, since she likes riding so much. She agreed, and went and got her permit, got a bike, and took the MSF course (resulting in not just her liscence, but invaluable training). A great starter bike for your girl, I think, would be a GS500E. That's what my fiance started on, and she's looking to move up now.

Good luck with your dilema!
                            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                            Semper Fi

Comment

I had my bike long before meeting my wife. When she found out I had a bike, she wasn't real happy about it, but... She did start to go for a few rides with me once in a while.

When we moved in together (her in to my place so changed now to ours...) she wanted to bring the 2 cats... indoors only. I'm not a fan of indoor pets... but... I keep the bike, she keeps the cats.

I enjoy riding my bike, and I have to say I do find it a little more comfortable solo. I also really enjoyed having her along for the company. Eventually, I purchased a ninja 250 and offered her lessons. Now, it's "her" bike... and I'm not allowed to touch (mostly because I keep offering hints on mods we could do to it... )

When she started to ride on her own... My heart was constantly in my throat. I always kept her in my sight. Turns took extra time to make sure traffic was very clear, avoided left hand turns if possible, stopped every 15 mins to make sure everything was ok.

I can understand where your coming from, but I think most have missed the real reason for your feelings of concern. In my oppinion, the primary reason for your feelings of uneasieness is either a lack of confidence of your skills, or deep down a accurate assessment of your riding skills or choices you make out on the road. I'm not slamming you, so don't take it that way. What I'm saying is that if your not confident with your abilities to make the ride with her as safe as possible, your going to worry about her. You have the same feelings I did about her learning to ride on her own, only it's hard to admit because it relates to YOUR skills.

We make choices all the time to dismiss our own safety. Going a little faster in that curve, passing that car on a double yellow... But now your faced with making the decision for BOTH of you... and I think that is where your issue comes from.

This isn't a bad thing. Understanding the real reason allows you to address it. If I'm right, then what you need to learn is how to enjoy the slow ride. How to pass on that impulse decision, keep it safe, keep it slow, and stay relaxed.

But that is just my take on it. I may be wrong.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

O.K I have read all the post about the wife and the G/F riding. My wife was on my bike the 4th day I brought it home, it is a little different 2 up but as everyone else had said just make sure you go through the signals with her and teach her to lean properly. I have three kids that ride with me often and they all love it. I have only been riding for 6 yrs now, and will ride till i am 80 I hope!!!!!

My wife wants to ride really bad so we are going to get in her into the training course her in town. And then find another Kat for her, or something small to tool around on.. (I am kinda nervous)

There is nothing better than a Sunday ride with your significant other..

Just my thoughts on this issue..

Eric
                                "I am not going faster officer, everyone else is going slower than I was"

Comment

Working...
                                X