X

Stainless rear brake lines

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless rear brake lines

I have just installed my new stainless brake lines (Thanks HS2020). They look fantastic and the black and yellow matches my bike wonderfully. Over the last few months I have been reading sport riding techniques and they talk extensively about the use of the rear brakes. One of their salient points deals with adjusting the brake such that you can use it but are less likely to lock it up. They speak about lowering the lever, removing material from the pad as well as a few other ideas to reduce the risk of lock up. I was thinking that by putting on a stainless rear line you are actually going the opposite of what they are teaching. It is too cold to ride right now and there is way too much dirt on the roads but I did take it for a short spin last weekend and the rear did lock very easily. I was thinking about going back to the OEM line on the rear. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I give myself time to normalize to the new feel or is it better to go with what you know? A good friend of mine has raced for years and yesterday when I spoke to him he told me that he has never used stainless on the rear.
    Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
    http://www.burley1.ca

First, I would get used to it. If you're locking it that easily, lay off the rear a bit. Adjust your lever down. I've seen a lot of people do that.

I have to admit that since I took the Air Force sportbike class last summer, I haven't used my rear brake a lot. They actually told us that for the duration of the class, that we should use it since we were learning to brake a lot in turns. I need to get back to my rear brake.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

i pretty much only use the rear break when i need the little extra braking power to stop quicker.
      2004 Katana
      GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I ride like nerd right ouuta her MSF class....still use equal pressure to the fronts and rear.
        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Bad news;
          The Katana rear, by all accounts, locks up really easily.
          Good news;
          In my experience it tracks well while locked up. The rear doesn't step out much
          (Yes I lock it up often, so should you, see below)

**Leave the SS line because it is good for life, while the rubber one is only good for 5 years. (in other words, yours should be replaced anyway)
          **Adjusting the lever is a pain, but many like it lower, just don't lower it too much.
          **Use the rear brake often, not because you have to but to keep in practice. Gaining muscle memory on using the rear brake means that when you need it you use it right.

Comment

I agree with leaving it on and getting use to it - just be extra careful during downshifting.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by ontariokatana View Post
              One of their salient points deals with adjusting the [REAR] brake such that you can use it but are less likely to lock it up. They speak about lowering the lever, removing material from the pad as well as a few other ideas to reduce the risk of lock up.
              On the Katana, all you need to do is adjust the linkage length coming off the rear master cylinder to adjust the peddle position. It's a bit of a PIA to get to, but you can easily set your rear foot peddle into such a position that your foot fully extended (while still on the peg) is just shy of absolute lock-up, so that to get a lock-up, you'd actually have to remove your foot from the peg.

I don't think that SS lines are significantly more likely to induce rear lock-up than brand new OEM lines; that's more down to grabbier pads and SS lines vs. old OEM lines that are already bloating... In NO CASE should you have to remove material from the pads' friction materials.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I also use the rear every time I apply the brakes, always when doing slow speed maneuvers and occasionally to scrub off speed in corners. If it locks I am down. I agree, it does track well when locked…………….. I was also considering injecting a measured amount of air into the system. Such that I could inject the same amount every time I change the fluid.
                Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
                http://www.burley1.ca

Comment

I was also considering injecting a measured amount of air into the system. Such that I could inject the same amount every time I change the fluid.
                  The addition of intentional air in the lines is fool-hearty at best... and suicidal at worst.
                  Adjust the lever as needed, and don't compromise your braking via any method other than retraining your foot and limiting absolute lock-up to the very edge of your foot's potential movement range.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was also considering injecting a measured amount of air into the system. Such that I could inject the same amount every time I change the fluid.
                    not a very good idea.....as the brakes heat up that "measured amount of air" will heat up as well and that feel you are looking for will change. Better to make mechanical adjustments and learn your brakes and where they lock. Take it to a parking lot and train your muscle memory. Air in the system can lead to bad things.
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

i rarely used my rear brakes under normal stopping ...but now im using it more to slow the fast momentum of the weight of the bike in fast stops just lightly,. but the front is always the sure thing used to stop on a dime

Comment

You hear that the rear brakes are %20-%30 of your stopping power. Most people blow that off like its nothing. But how much would/have you paid for %5-%10 horsepower gain?
                        For me I use my rear break most every time I stop. I don’t always when scrubbing speed as i am just slowing.
                        %20-%30 = shorter stopping distance = your life!!!!!!
                        sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                        A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckwick357 View Post
                          You hear that the rear brakes are %20-%30 of your stopping power. Most people blow that off like its nothing. But how much would/have you paid for %5-%10 horsepower gain?
                          For me I use my rear break most every time I stop. I don’t always when scrubbing speed as i am just slowing.
                          %20-%30 = shorter stopping distance = your life!!!!!!
                          Good way of looking at it..
                          Another:
                          You can stop from 30 MPH to 0 in 30 feet, with just the front brakes...
                          A "big solid thing" just appeared in front of you... 25 feet away..
                          Do the math..

Comment

If you decide you want to go back to the oem I saw a stainless sleave you can slide over the oem for the look without the effect. If i can find it again i will post the link.

Comment

Working...
                            X