X

Lost my key!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my key!

Sometime during the long cold winter months i misplaced my key. can I have a new one made with my vin number or do i have to have the thing towed? It's an '06 600.

thanks!
    There is something about being on a bike that is singularly American. It says, "I have some priorities here that aren't about life expectancy."

-Alton Brown

there should be a key code in your owners manual for it to get one made.... I THINK...
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

call the dealer you might get lucky
      But usually you need to pull the ignition and get the numbers off it
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

help!

Does anyone know how to pull the ignition on a 06 kat600. I hope it's easier than it looks. do i need to unscrew the bolts that have the tension knobs on them?

any guidance would be extremely appreciated!
        There is something about being on a bike that is singularly American. It says, "I have some priorities here that aren't about life expectancy."

-Alton Brown

Comment

You will have two keys from now on won't cha. I sure would check with the dealer before I started pulling stuff apart....GOOD LUCK!!!
          This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
          BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

haha! yeah you said it! it's quite an undertaking I've gotten myself into. My buddy kept telling me when i first got the bike, "get a duplicate, get a duplicate," I wish I would have heeded his warnings!

A lesson for all, it is nearly impossible (and around 350 dollars including a new seat lock and gas cap!) to get a new key after you've lost your first one.

-Alton Brown

Comment

I had a new one made by "impression" for about $45 at a lock and safe place. They didn't have to pull anything, but I did bring my bike to them.

Also rather than having it towed make friends with someone who owns a truck
              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

i didnt make a copy of mine but then again its attached to my scooter key which stays in the ignition when at home and in my pocket when not at home.

And its inside a locked garage, which i wouldnt care if they stole the scoot anyways because then i would just make a claim and get full new value back and buy a new kat.

I should though because the key is pretty worn and i should make a master copy now before it gets worn any more.

Comment

lost keys

ouch!!this could be very costly if u dissassemble the ignition the switch does no come out peacfully mine is pressed in 88-96 katana you can get a good deal on a set of blanks on e bay an take them an bike to a locksmith an souldnt be a problom.

Comment

That sucks I lost my keys once and i paid for it i replaced the ignition gas cap and seat lock Now i have 3 keys just in case
                    Last edited by BUCKJFLOWERS; 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

i only got 1 key with my kat when i bought it and 1st thing i got 2 new ones made from the code as when they tried the original key it was so worn that the copies wouldnt work but they original still worked on the bike and when they made the replacements they looked different from my original and i thought they wouldnt work either and they did. So hope all goes well for you but this is one lesson i refuse to learn the hard way.

Comment

I definitely would not have any less than 2 keys EVER....and in different locations.<br>

Comment

im having the same problem.... locksmith told me they would charge me $55 dollars to make new key if i brought the ignition to him. Does anyone know what tool i need to take the ignition out? Theres these to funny looking bolts holding the ignition in. Someone pleeeeeeeeeease help

Comment

Working...
                          X