X

Newbie questions.......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions.......

I'm a newbie to the Kat world, not to riding. Picked up a 1998 Kat with 5K miles on it for $1600.00. Only damage is the right side fairing that was laid down there and painted with a rattle can. I had to take all the fairing panels off to get to the motor ( been sitting in storage for a long time, wouldn't start ) for some work and I quickly realized that the fairing bolts are mismatched,missing,jacked up.
    So, my newbie questions are:
    1.} Where's the cheapest place to get a fairing bolt kit?
    2.} Where can I look for a used right side fairing in red with blinker? Or any idea what a new factory one costs?

I bought this bike to ride to work and keep the miles off my Harley (don't hate on me) . I'm 49 years old and not into wheelies,stoppies, or dragging my knees, but I raced quads up 'till about 8 years ago and I love speed at time still. The 11K red line is a blast !!!!! How close do you guys take it to 11K when you're gettin' on it? My Harley has a 5,500 red line, but of course it wasn't made for speed.
    This Kat is a BLAST !!!!!!!
    Thanks !
    I love chrome like a fat kid loves cake !!!

2003 Harley Ultra ( I'm 49 years old ! )

1998 Kat GSX600F ( I'm 49 years young ! ) Gone, but never forgotten, great bike !!!

Welcome to the site! Your best bet for a fairing will be ebay, any year 98-06 will work, unless you want to specifically find a red one, which won't always be as easy as just picking one up and painting it to match the rest of the bike. A factory one will run you in the neighborhood of $300. www.ronayers.com is a great on line Suzuki OEM parts dealer, they have an online microfiche that makes finding exactly what you need easy. Ebay would be a good place to check for the bolts as well, but there is an aftermarket company that does fairing bolts, the name escapes me right now though...Pro-Bolt maybe...not sure.

No one here will hate on you for having two bikes, even if the other is a Harley...I've got an 85 Ironhead sporty sitting in the garage right next to my kat.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

teddy,
      Thanks for the reply. I love my Harley,,,,and I already love this Kat. 2 different worlds, 2 kinds of love. I saw you're from Ohio, I'm from Warren, Oh, but moved to NC 1 1/2 years ago. We ride YEAR 'ROUND down here. hahahahahahha
      I checked e-bay and found the bolt kit. I think I'll end up with a whole new paint job instead of trying to find a red fairing. Mine is just painted with a rattle can and doesn't match, and I'm ANAL about my stuff lookin' good !

1998 Kat GSX600F ( I'm 49 years young ! ) Gone, but never forgotten, great bike !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyKat View Post
        So, my newbie questions are:
        1.} Where's the cheapest place to get a fairing bolt kit?
        I don't know if it's the cheapest, but seems reasonable.

Welcome!
        1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

Welcome. Run a search on fairing repair. Lots of guys on here have picked up bikes needing fairing work and some of them have written pretty thoroughly about their experiences. The thing that has really struck me is that you can fill scratches or mend broken bits with ABS glue from the hardware store. I'd done fiberglass before and wasn't at all satisfied with the results. If ABS glue will do the job properly then I'm all for it. Definitely less expensive than replacing the fairing.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yep, found them on ebay too.

Comment

fairing bolts ebay..thats where i got mine as far as the fairing u can try ebay (but they get a little pricey) Try craigslist, u might get lucky on there..If nothing else works i have a blue right side fairing off of a 98. its not red but with a little paint could be as good as new...
              pveity = 100%

Comment

Welcome to KR.
                Quick search found this...Red too!!! Just might get lucky.

It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Nice - another Katana/Harley rider....welcome!
                  1999 220 KDX
                  2003 450 KTM
                  2003 Softail Std
                  2000 Katana 750
                  2004 ZZR1200

Comment

Yeah, I found that one on CL but it's for the wrong side.
                    Thanks all.

Comment

The 11K red line is a blast !!!!! How close do you guys take it to 11K when you're gettin' on it? My Harley has a 5,500 red line, but of course it wasn't made for speed.
                      To about 10500, peak HP there =)

This Kat is a BLAST !!!!!!!
                      They ARE fun. Having the choice between rolling on the throttle and moving when I wanna, or sitting up and having a long, comfy ride is nice.

--B

Comment

Working...
                      X