No announcement yet.
X

The never ending oil filter debate: filter cutter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my K&N oil filter and repsol sintetico' 4t or castrol GPS 4t regiment has worked great....

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      I don't have any problems with my oil filter Comes right off, new one goes right on, what's the specific issue with it again?

Same here, no problem.
      25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

I don't have any problems with my oil filter Comes right off, new one goes right on, what's the specific issue with it again?

I was talking about how well it actually filtered (i.e. - did the job it was designed to do), not how easy it comes on/off.

=-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

I was talking about how well it actually filtered (i.e. - did the job it was designed to do), not how easy it comes on/off.

=-= The CyberPoet
          Ah...I read "design" and thought of exterior, couldn't figure that one out
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ah...I read "design" and thought of exterior, couldn't figure that one out
            That's why you need the cutter -- to cut the metal of the exterior away to examine what's inside without mangling the contents.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the kat filter is not as simple as spinning it on. Suzuki uses a different thread pitch. Cross reference the oil filter, you'll see they are JUST for Suzuki.

Comment

Malloc ran one of those for about 40k miles, and his compression suffered as a result, even with timely and good oil... Personally, I won't ever run one, for the most part because I can literally see daylight through it (meaning it won't filter fine clay dust or fine sand dust, the primary reason for running an oil filter IMHO).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:
                1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  the kat filter is not as simple as spinning it on. Suzuki uses a different thread pitch. Cross reference the oil filter, you'll see they are JUST for Suzuki.
                  I agree -- but the part you spin the filter onto on the ZX is a replaceable part (basically a hollow, threaded shaft that's threaded into the oil pan housing). That would imply I could change that shaft with one that has different threads on the outer portion, so it would mate to the Suzuki oil filters (or swap it to any other thread size that suits my desires). Look up Kawak part # 32033-1535 on the '08 ZX-14R to see what I'm talking about [Oil Pump/Oil Filter fiche page].

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the Suzuki oil filter thread deal just comes off too. I have no idea if you can just replace it, but it just unscrews.
                    yup, #38
                    Last edited by arsenic; 03-23-2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Malloc ran one of those for about 40k miles, and his compression suffered as a result, even with timely and good oil... Personally, I won't ever run one, for the most part because I can literally see daylight through it (meaning it won't filter fine clay dust or fine sand dust, the primary reason for running an oil filter IMHO).
                      That and they will actually fall apart. I delt with that one. I will stick to stock now. It did take about 50k for it to fall apart. But it did. That and it was a pain in the butt to deal with. Taking apart and cleaning. So much easier to just remove and get a new one.
                      Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                      6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                      5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DRUNK_UNCLE View Post
                        I use a scott's billet re usable oil filter. Stainless steel mesh filter and come off easy and looks cool.
                        Don't use these on road/street bikes

These are designed for race bikes that see fresh oil before every run, that are torn down and inspected and rebuilt often.
                        Run them on a regular street bike and you may as well run it with no oil filter at all
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                        X