X

Not a Good Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Good Day

I can honestly say yesterday sucked. I took the bike in for an oil change to the dearlership....sounds simple enough. Rode the bike to grab some lunch afterwards and noticed oil when I came back out. I thought at first it might be coming from the overflow tube but it was dry. Took it back to the mechanic and he tweaked the plug a bit more...... to no avail. Upon closer inspection we discovered a cracked pan. Sooooooooo....who knows how long I'll be without the Kat. Hopefully they can get a replacement soon before I start to go through withdrawls.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

That sucks man. On a serious note, is it in a location where you may be able to "JB Weld" it to keep it ridable until you get a replacement?
    sigpic
    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Yeah that sucks. I'm going to get my bike back from the dealer in 1 week and they did some carb work on it during the winter. Hopes everything will be perfect or I'll be ****ed like you.

Comment

That bites!!! Just had mine worked on, I'm on my way out to look it over now!!
        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

No. The bike's in pieces on the workbench. The mechanic had to remove the fairings and exhaust to get to the pan. The crack is right where the drain plug is located.The good news is that they're taking responsibility for it and replacing everything without charge. There may be some truth in owning two bikes... just for times like this.
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
            The crack is right where the drain plug is located.
            Geez, you got me thinking about getting a Fumoto valve again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
              Geez, you got me thinking about getting a Fumoto valve again.
              I'm unfamiliar with that.....what is it??? how does it work?
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Basically it's an oil drain valve. So you don't need to remove it to do your oil changes, just open it.
                Thus, no risk of over torquing the plug.

I'm not sure this is what could have lead to you pan being cracked but still, everyone on the forum here says that with that valve, oil changing is a walk in the park.

The website will explain it better than me: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

On the Post Kat you have to grind something to make it fit, but on the Pre they fit right in if I remember right.

Comment

What size Fumoto valve would you need for a 98+ Kat?

TIA ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Originally posted by jbo197 View Post
                    What size Fumoto valve would you need for a 98+ Kat?

TIA ~
                    I think for the Kat it's the F111.

Comment

The mechanic that changed the oil should have notice he busted the pan before you ever left the dealership. Im a mechanic at a car dealership myself and people like that give guys like me a bad name.... accidents happen, but letting a customer ride, or drive, off in a vehicle with an issue you caused isnt exceptable.
                      Originally posted by arsenic
                      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Sorry for your trouble Slo...especially since you've waited so long for riding weather. Two bikes...do that myself...definitely worth considering.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I'm glad they owned up to their mistake and are taking care of you!
                          02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                          90 GSXR 750/1216
                          96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                          87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                          sigpic

Comment

Well if you even needs parts try these guys http://motos.pintendreautos.com/maitrea.html they are out of Quebec and they seem very honest everytime I have ever used them.

Comment

Glad to hear they are going to own up to their mistake and take care of you, this is number one reason we work on own here as well!!

Comment

Working...
                              X