X

My 1st "Almost Lost It!" experience

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st "Almost Lost It!" experience

So, I'm leaving my parent's house out in the suburbs of northern Raleigh, and I'm traveling down a road to get to central Raleigh around 9:00pm (so, it's not black out, but dusk). I come to a stop sign, look both ways, and take off - not too fast, but just as normal. I get up to speed (about 55mph), glance down to check my speed and when I glance back up I see a deer sprinting across the road...

Now, it's not like it's waaay up ahead - no. It's, like, 20 feet away practically cutting me off. So, as a squid, I take a handfull of BOTH the brake and clutch.

Immediately my front tire locks up and I discovered this phenomena that a locked front tire starts to skip along the road. So as my front tire skips, with each landing it screeches and jolts my handle bars in the opposite direction as the last jolt (as in, *thud* jerk left *thud* jerk right), and it does this about 6 times or so before I realize that the deer has passed and I let go of the brake and clutch - and everything straightens out, lol

Of course, this all happens within, like, 7 seconds - but I can recall every moment of it!

Anyway, so that's the "I almost died" story, but the evening continues...

As I get into town, I take a detour onto the beltline where I meet up with this other biker. Now, this guy is DEFINITELY a squid. All he was wearing was a helmet (with, of course, the visor all the way open... at 70mph on the beltline!), and a t-shirt and khaki shorts and sneakers. And, of course, had a spankin' new gixxer something. Anyway, so we both happen to take the same exit, and we come to a stoplight at the end of the exit ramp. We exchange glances, nod, do the usual "biker" thing and the car next to us (full of teens) shouts "Let's see what you guys got!!"

The other guy grins and starts revving his aftermarket exhaust and looks at me. I shake my head 'no' and make a gesture as to ride normally. He shouts back to the car "I do, but he don't wanna!". And I shout to him, "I got a can-o-tuna" (trying to lighten the situation) and he chuckles a little, and we take off normally when the light turns green. Of course, he still has to zip ahead and pop a wheelie (with no gear, keep in mind), probably showing off to the car.

Anyway, we part our ways and I head back home. Then, it starts to rain and I'm like, "Great. It's like the MSF course all crammed into an hour". But, I make it home safely and no harm done.

The End :P
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Man about the deer, its good to hear you didn't hit one.
    About the guy in the gixxer in the stop light, that's the wisest thing you could've done. (Let him go)
    Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

I'm glad to hear everything turned out alright because it could have been worse if you had hit the deer or went down from locking up the front brake. Just remember to never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly! Oh yeah about Mr squid, you reacted to him perfectly.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I don't have to worry about deer here in LA on the 60, but man, we got more than our fair share of squids.. Nicely handled on both counts... 8)
        --
        Sagan

Comment

i really don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but until you get your reflexes under control, you are not much less of a squid than the guy on the gixxer. gear only protects you....not make you a better rider. the reason i am saying this is that you are doubly lucky today. the deer could have brought you down, or you could have brought yourself down. i hope this makes you realize that you need to get back in a parking lot and practice that braking. having a tank slapper like that was....well....brought on by human error. you fucked up. you need to correct that because the next time could lay you down. you also mention losing track of the deer....as in having to realize you passed it. that's not good. fear is powerful and your reactions to it can save you from a situation, or kill you for it. sorry to sound so harsh....but i mean it with best intentions. call it constructive criticism. work on that braking.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

ya "THOSE" guys who have to show off and be better and faster, usually end up paying a price for it in some fashion. Me , i dont show off or do stupid tricks. I may accelerate fast alot , but never more than 15mph over limit

I had a Ducati pull up next to me, earlier. Didnt rev up or anything just exchanged glances. Light turned green , ZOOOOM there he went as if i was gonna race him. * SIGHS *
            " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

They woulda been eating Katana dust. I would have smoked them both. And made some deer jerky all in the mix!
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Moj: Very little offense taken In my original post, I did admit what I did was squidly, so don't think that I'm assuming I'm invincible. But really, one can only encounter stuff like that out on the road (versus parking lots). There will be nothing that can simulate what happened if I'm in a lot. Primarily, if you're practicing emergency braking, you're planning on the event happening, and so you prepare for it. It's the un-rehearsed realtime events such as this one that really builds experience. Emergency braking in a parking lot is one thing, but actually doing it in an un-planned realtime scenario is another. But, I see what you mean

But, one must agree that there are (at least) 2 types of squids - one like myself (which is more of an "inexperienced" issue), and one like the other guy (who does stupid sh*t intentionally).
                "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Actually there is 3, you forgot the one that aims for deer so he can get some free meat
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Deer are the reason I don't like riding at dusk or at night. Ohio has a way to many deer. I am super glad to hear that you are ok without insident!!!
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Glad to hear that you made it alright!!
                      It dose make for a great learning experience though!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

when i get caught out of the city at night ( i usually don't ride up in the hills at night for this very reason ) i let my thumb hang down and cover the horn. if riding through a wooded area you can blow your horn every now & then. that and get a louder pipe

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                          Moj: ..... But really, one can only encounter stuff like that out on the road (versus parking lots). There will be nothing that can simulate what happened if I'm in a lot. Primarily, if you're practicing emergency braking, you're planning on the event happening, and so you prepare for it. It's the un-rehearsed realtime events such as this one that really builds experience. Emergency braking in a parking lot is one thing, but actually doing it in an un-planned realtime scenario is another...... .
                          The whole point of practicing is so you don't have to think about how to brake, and the sequence of braking, upshifting, etc. It'll be precious time saved when you're on the road.

Just my 2 cents .....

Regardless, glad it all worked out. And, self-awareness will take you a long way.

Enjoy riding, and ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                            Moj: Very little offense taken In my original post, I did admit what I did was squidly, so don't think that I'm assuming I'm invincible. But really, one can only encounter stuff like that out on the road (versus parking lots). There will be nothing that can simulate what happened if I'm in a lot. Primarily, if you're practicing emergency braking, you're planning on the event happening, and so you prepare for it. It's the un-rehearsed realtime events such as this one that really builds experience. Emergency braking in a parking lot is one thing, but actually doing it in an un-planned realtime scenario is another. But, I see what you mean

But, one must agree that there are (at least) 2 types of squids - one like myself (which is more of an "inexperienced" issue), and one like the other guy (who does stupid sh*t intentionally).
                            actually, i have no real idea how many types of squids there are. i never even heard the word squid before signing up on kp. if the word did not exist, i would have called you "inexperienced". I know a parking lot can not represent a dangerous situation, but at least it would give you a better feel for your brakes. maybe a buddy could help you out.....like drop a flag when it is time to brake. it is not like a deer jumping out in front of you, but it could test your reaction speed and manouvers.

on another subject, i have to wonder if it is really such a good idea for inexperienced riders to upgrade their braking systems...such as ss lines and better pads and rotors. i just hope they have a feel for braking before doing so. it doesn't make much sense to gain more stopping power when they can't control what they already have. i am not saying this applies to you....just speaking in general.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                              when i get caught out of the city at night ( i usually don't ride up in the hills at night for this very reason ) i let my thumb hang down and cover the horn. if riding through a wooded area you can blow your horn every now & then. that and get a louder pipe
                              tim
                              If only it were that easy. Tim, you are in Oregon? What kind of animal clears the road for a horn sound or engine noise? Stray cat or dog, I think, and probably a lot of wild animals too.

From my experience, nothing works with any certainty for white tailed deer. They can make it across the road in front of you, and still turn around and cross the road again and you hit them. The first deer may make it across the road, but the here to fore unseen second deer is even more determined to follow the first deer across the road, right in your path.

Because a deer's path is so unpredictable, all you can do is scrub off as much speed as you can and try to stay in control. At some point you might be lucky enough to be able to attempt to steer away from where the deer is, or where you think it is going to be. But in the real heart stopping near misses, where a deer jumps into your path from out of nowhere, all you can do (in a car) is smoke the tires and grit your teeth.

My discussion of deer is meant to respond to several postings about deer on this topic. So I am not focusing solely on whether or not sounding the horn would be effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X