X

Hmmmm, what to do..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm, what to do..

Just found a new riding partner last night, which is cool. While over swimming at her parents house, she had invited her friend over from work and their kids; so they came over, all was good. Her friends husband worked till midnight, and she asked if I could ride out to his work and lead him back to the house so he could hang out too. Little did I know, he's riding a 2000 Gixxer, full d&d exhaust, so I was like, Sweet! So we road home, and then talked about bikes for about a couple hours and hung out before they went home. He's in a new club that's starting up in my area, and told me I was welcome to come to one of their meetings and join up. So that was great, I think I'll probably go.

Anyhow, he's got a helluva nice bike, but doesnt have enough money to afford any gear other than a helmet that he used to have but doesnt fit anymore. I don't know his whole background or financial situation at all, however seeing him ride last nite in a windbreaker, jeans and no lid, worried me, just cuz I guess I just care too much about the people I ride with. But I have a friend who's got a new suzuki leather riding jacket that's never been worn, since he sold his bike, and he wants 300.00 for it. I mentioned it casually to this guy and he said he'd be interested in, but can't afford quite that much right now.

So I kinda was thinking of telling this guy that I'll lend him my rocket blaster II jacket to wear since his club goes to the drag strip alot and races, but also goes on alot of rides in general. Im not using my blaster II jacket in the summer, simply because its too hot and I have my phoenix one for that. And lending him one of my spare 2 helmets to wear as well for now.

obviously Im not obligated at all and if he goes down my jacket could suffer significant damage obviously. It was a gift from my wife last christmas and if anything happened to it, and it wasnt my fault, I'd feel terrible. The better half said it would be a very nice thing to do, but told me it was solely up to me either way was cool.

What would you do?

Tell the squid to check out Brockton Cycle for some cheap gear!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

He's doesnt have a computer so they arent online to do ebay and other suppliers for gear. And of course the dealers around here have a limited supply of gear that's alot more expensive than u can find online.

Comment

Lend him a lid and send him to EBAY to find some gear..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Public library = public access
          Tell him to check out Brockton, NewEnough or MotorcycleCloseouts, write down the product numbers he wants and then call in the order.

Not saying don't help another rider but if dude can afford a bike like that and the insurance on it he can afford a lid and an $89 closeout jacket. It's not the cost it's the matter of him needing to set it as a priority. If it was important to him he'd find a way to get the cash.

Personally I think if I were you I'd offer to sell him the spare gear cheap if you feel real bad for him, otherwise I'd send him in the right direction. Either way I don't think I'd loan my gear for more than maybe a days ride with the catch "you break it you bought it"...... I'm kind of a prick though
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I would lend him the jacket and the lid personally
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

It still confuses me how people afford Gixxers WTIH mods but can't afford gear....that's squid thinking to me.

Just show him the cheap spots (ebay, newenough) and call it a day.

Comment

Here's a few under 70 bucks!

and one under $90

He should be able to swing one of these.
                92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

Sometimes I know u have to be tuff to be kind... but its just the nice guy in me I guess that wants to help him out I guess because I know bikes can be expensive and I myself have had to, and still do, buy my new gear a piece at a time.

But yet being responsible to urself and ur family is something you do need to set as a priority, as Jim mentioned.

Comment

I agree, if he can afford such a bike, the least he can do is afford some minimal gear.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I would'nt lend it, do ya want him sweating in it all summer and then wear it afterwards. I dunno my gear is like my underwear and I would'nt lend it to anyone. If you can afford a bike like that you should be able to have enough scratch to buy the minimal equipment.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

+1 Jim
                        www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

That is so kind of you man, if you are really going to keep seeing this guy and ride with him and his group let him borrow your extra stuff.
                          How did he manage to afford a 2000 gixxer?
                          Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

I believe he recently got it as early as a couple months ago. I heard thru the grapevine that a week after he got it, somebody pulled out in front of him and he lowsided...messed up the right side pretty bad..but it seemed perfect last nite so I guess he was able to get it fixed.

Comment

Another thing you could do is look up the brockton cycle stuff for him, and print off some pages so he can call up and order it.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X