Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can you chrome the spring on the shock??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you chrome the spring on the shock??

Just wondering if this is possible. I don't know what the properties of chrome are or if you do this will it chip, crack or just come off? I was able to remove the spring from the shock without damaging it. Actually my dad is a die tool maker/sheet metal mechanic and has his own shop. I brought the shock in and told him I wanted to remove the spring for cleaning and then powder coating...He was able to do it. So I was thinking, a dangerous pastime I know...well any ways if you can powder coat these why not just chrome it...now I know powder coat has some flexability but don't know if it will be able to handle the abuse that a shock takes...any information would be appreciated...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Plating WILL change the tensile...

Comment

there is some powdercoat that is pretty damn close to chrome. also, chrome is not that durable of the long run. the life expectancy of any chrome job on a set of wheels is 3-4 years. I would imagine less on a spring, if it holds up at all.

Personally, I would go with powdercoat. much more durable and will last a longggggg time.
      Here is what it looks like. It is not like real chrome, but still pretty good if you ask me.

[img][/img]
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Impressive! But would it be safe to cook a pressurized system such as the shock, or can you remove the spring itself?

Comment

Remove the spring.
          Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Spring has been removed...now I have the spring bracket and main housing all in pieces...That chrome powdercoat looks cool...is it cheaper than chrome...I need to do the swingarm and other parts done or should I get those chromed out?
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

Hmmm.... I wonder if that powdercoat (which is, um, a plastic coating) looks like cheezy plastic chrome? My guess is YES!

So, have you ever seen just about any twin-shock motorcycle built since, well, forever? They just about all have chrome springs, so I reckon it won't flake-off if applied properly.
              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
                Hmmm.... I wonder if that powdercoat (which is, um, a plastic coating) looks like cheezy plastic chrome? My guess is YES!

So, have you ever seen just about any twin-shock motorcycle built since, well, forever? They just about all have chrome springs, so I reckon it won't flake-off if applied properly.

good luck finding a place that does it properly. items that are produced as chrome are done right because...well, they have to do them right because it is their product. it is hit and miss with an aftermarket chome shop. some will go through all the steps to make the job last, others are a "quick" job that will only last a couple of years. there are only 2 ways to know if you are going to get a good chroming job from a business. You either have to be there and watch it step by step, or else contact previous customers and see how their work held up. You can get ripped off from a chromer.
                As for that powdercoat chrome looking cheesy, well, you are wrong. I did my wheels with "almost chrome" 3 years ago, and got many compliments on them. It is duller than that...it looks more like brushed aluminum.
                But "cheesy" is relevent. Different strokes for different folks. I have seen pics on here that I think look cheesier than hell, but the guy who posted it likes it, and that is all that matters.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

If you're looking for a good chromer, I'm sure Spedee knows exactly where to go

As for the process, etching, plating... no reason it shouldn't hold up as long as it's heavily coated. You will find a nickle-chrome plate does better than a straight chrome-plate for such applications; let the chromer tell you what he thinks should be used.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys for all the advice if anyone else has any or knows of a shop they can recommend please feel free to add on to this thread..

Comment

I knwo of a good plater and is affordable...

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                      X