X

Does riding a Katana "make" you become a better ri

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does riding a Katana "make" you become a better ri

Taking into account the negative aspects of the Kat, wouldn't it make sense that overcoming these obstacles could help one (especially a beginner) to actually become a better, more skilled rider?
    ~ Lisa
    2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
    2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

I think so. At least in my case.

I found that I really had to learn about cornering and proper technique in order to stay in the same zip code as a lot of guys at the rally. I think that a person can get "lazy" as a lot of new riders with supersports do, and play "catch-up" on the straights.

Then again, I certainly have learned the finer points of throttle control from my R1. You don't want to whack THAT hornet's nest, I'll tell you.

However, I learned WAY more from the people I rode with (and the roads I rode on) at rallies than "just" riding the Kat would have taught me.

So...in the end, just like everything else, it's the people, not the machine.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Yeah , it's harder making a so-so machine go fast , so when you get on a better one it comes WAY easier .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The only concern I'd have with saying that riding a Kat makes you better is that the Kat is much more forgiving than a more powerful sportbike.

So we may be making small mistakes and not really knowing it, but when we move to a lighter, more powerful bike we make the same mistake and it's magnified.
        Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

I think so. If for nothing else, it's sheer weight will more or less force you to have to be more controlled with your riding, especially at low speeds. I also think it's more forgiving nature will help prevent new riders from trying stupid stunts b/c the power delivery just isn't there. And if they try it anyways, then they'll get to learn the maintenance aspect a whole lot quicker!

Yes, lighter bikes w/ more power are more of a handful, but I think learning on a Kat will provide the skills to "step up" to one of those machines instead of trying to start on one. Just my $.02

Comment

it can be more than a begginer bike.i've been riding my kat for 6years now and still haven't learned it all

Comment

I'm personally using a Kat600 as a beginning bike. I was thinking how the weight will really help out if I move to something lighter. I'm getting good at keeping the Katana steady at low speeds. Once I'm used to that weight, a lighter bike will probably feel like a feather. I'm sure that you're going to learn a lot of things with each bike that you ride. So yes, the Katana makes you a better rider, but I think that any bike is going to improve your skills in some ways.

Comment

Actually, I think the Kat won't do nearly as good a job as a smaller, more nimble, less powerful bike with a narrower powerband (such as an EX250, EX500 ninja, Bandit 400, etc), but it will keep you from killing yourself as readily.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes, there's a lot of smaller bikes around with a lot more forgiving low-speed handling than the Kat(just try a U-turn on a CB500 or GS4XX/500 or EX250/500).

They're also a lot more forgiving on the wallet if you screw up and dump the bike(the fairing equation)

I'd say try to get atleast 3 months on a smaller bike like the aforementioned ones then swap for a Kat.

Kats are heavy compared to current generation supersports, but still very managable compared to say a 80's Z900 or CB900F and even a lowly 600 Kat will likely have comparable peak HP to these bikes which where among the supersports of that era.

Personally i consider a Kat an 'intermidiate' bike(espcially the 750's and 1100's).
                  It might work as a beginner bike for some, but for someone with absolutely no experience i.e. 'noob' it could be a handfull :/

But that's just what i think... Most people don't care anyways heh
                  -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Actually, I think the Kat won't do nearly as good a job as a smaller, more nimble, less powerful bike with a narrower powerband (such as an EX250, EX500 ninja, Bandit 400, etc), but it will keep you from killing yourself as readily.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    +1 my first and 2nd bikes were kawi 500's used to throw them around all over the place feels more like the r6 i rode last year (but the kat looks twice as nice as the ninja 500)
                    a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
                    so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

Worked well for me. Had I had a supersport in a few instances, I would have gone down as I was learning.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by JDS
                        The only concern I'd have with saying that riding a Kat makes you better is that the Kat is much more forgiving than a more powerful sportbike.

So we may be making small mistakes and not really knowing it, but when we move to a lighter, more powerful bike we make the same mistake and it's magnified.
                        Exactly! Totally on target.

For me, it was throttle control. I really could be ham-fisted with the Kat, and have no ill effects. With the R1, a millimeter of throttle is the difference between good speed and disaster.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I think it depends on what your next bike is planning to be. If you're going to bump up to an R1, Gix1000 or and RR bike it's going to be a whole new world. If you're going to go the sport/tourer route I do think it can make you a better rider if for nothing else, the weight. Honestly, I would have had a harder time with a ZX-10 or Gix1000 than with my Busa.
                          sigpic

Comment

Texas blonde: I think that dominating the weight of a kat being your first bike helps you alot, It gives you more confidence on smaller bikes if you ever need it.
                            Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

With a Kat, becuz its forgiving to a new rider, it allows to you learn and become proficient on ur techniques without worrying about getting out of control w/ too much power while you learn. And even after you've gotten used to ur kat and even if you've been riding for a long time. The kat is still a fun all around bike to ride.

But yes, u always need to guard against becoming complaicant when u ride, no matter what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X