X

You know what really bugs me?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what really bugs me?

People who go out and get a motorcycle during a mid life crisis whim because they think its cool and they wanna be like all the irresponsible, crazy, riders on the road today. I wanna do something off the wall, crazy, irresponsible, I wanna go buy a bike!! WTF is that? The public perception of motorcycle riders stinks, and yet these people wanna go out and be just like all the other crazy people??!!

The just totally rubs me the wrong way. Real riders, the ones who do it for the love of the sport or better yet the way of life that riding is , are not wild, crazy, irresponsible, stupid or any other piss poor adjective they wanna throw out. All they see is jesse james and the Tuetuls riding around w/ no lid, being the crazy biker, and Oh man I gotta have one.

Heck, the same thing applies to the punk kids of today.. all they see are the Hard Copy stories on TV and in the news about crazy kids stunting in the streets, causing traffic jams and endangering the lives and well being of those driving on the same roads as them. What, they gotta just be cool and go ride a bike because doing wheelies and stoppies is cool!! Gimme a break. It's no wonder the public perception of us never gets any better because too many people whether they are 18 or 50 go into riding for the wrong reasons.

Stunting on busy roads and city streets..or revving up ur bike in residential neighboorhoods just because you have the physical ability to do so doesnt make it right, and its not what riding is all about!

I take offense to punk kids doing that obviously, as probably most of us do..but also w/ these people in a mid life crises who all of the sudden say, I wanna go out and do something crazy, irresponsible and buy a motorcycle. That is not what we are all about nor is what riding is all about.

If you wanna do it and its just simply out of character for you, but you've always wanted to try it, and u go about learning and riding the correct way, in the right frame of mind..then more power to ya and welcome to the world of riding.. BUT

when go into just because your perception of it is people that do it are irresponsible to themselves and their family,and they are all wild and crazy bikers who just dont give a damn, and they wanna be rebels too; then yeah thats just flat out wrong, IMO. Im a biker and Im not crazy, stupid or irresponsible. I ride because I love it, because I enjoy the feeling of being on the open road and being one my bike. I do it because of the commradery and kinship. I do it because I never wanna stop learning about bikes no matter how much I may know already from experience. I do it because my wife and I enjoy it as well, and its something Im proud to say that I do to anyone that asks, and its something that hopefully my kids will want to do some day as well and I can pass along what I have learned and hope they take it to heart.

Just my .02 rant for the day after reading an article recently about somebody who used pretty much those exact words for a reason to get a bike.

Let me just clear one thing up. One of the reasons this whole thing started because my best friend's father-in-law is going through a divorce, maybe even a mid-life crises at the same time, and he went out and bought a fat boy, and matt had to go and get his panties in a bunch. This is not someone he knows or has even met. This guy never said he was going to go out and be a squid, all he did was buy a bike (a very ugly one I might say). And he has a right to. Thousands of people go out and buy bikes for a thousand different reasons, maybe not for your reason, but for their own. They have that right to. And how are they supposed to learn the commeradery and way of life biking attitude that you have if they don't go out and get one first. It's a learning experience I'm sure. Not everyone starts out knowing it right off the bat, it will come to them soon enough. So it's really not your place to judge them about why they bought the bike in the first place. Give the poor guy a chance to do his thing and work out his frustrations, and maybe he'll have a chance to become part of the biking community. :
    >>> Missy <<<

With great power, comes great responsibility...So don't be the one to screw it up!!!

Comment

But yes, honey dearest of mine. I realize everybody has to start somewhere, and as long as they enter into riding w/ that frame of mind, of learning the right way,learning what riding is all about and what it a priviledge it is to ride; then its all good, glad to have them aboard.

What I dont agree with is coming into riding with the wrong attitude and wrong state of mind, and reasons for doing it.

example, wanting to be like the star boyz, wanting to be a rebel biker, wanting to be crazy in the streets, wanting to do it just because u think u look cool doing it and it doesnt matter because u have the right to do it, when u should be thinking of learning to ride w/ the proper training and equipment.

It doesnt matter what you ride, as long as you do it in a responsible manner and for the right reasons and realize that just because you are on 2 wheels doesnt mean you are some irresponsible, crazy, lunatic biker that just wants to be a rebel without a cause.

Comment

Who learns to ride on a fatboy, honestly? It really does sound like a chasing-the-image situation to me. Now, if he had bought, say, a Nighthawk, then yeah, I'd think he wanted to learn to ride, and what it's all about. I'm not going to judge him as I don't know him, but I'll say that the appearance would be that he's trying to chase down the elusive bad-ass image.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

So...the funniest thing happend today!

I was checking out this web forum, and I GOT TRANSPORTED INTO SOMEONE'S LIVING ROOM!!

It was really weird. I could hear their whole conversation.....

:P

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Don't hold back wildkat,tell us how you really feel Seriously though, i agree with you 100%.I have a neighbor who did the same thing,just up and out of the blue,he goes and buys a bike,had it delivered to the house,cause he can't ride it. I congratulated him on his purchase,and asked when he is taking the MSF course,i was not suprised at his answer( you have to know this guy ), he said well it looks easy enough how hard can it be, ( the short version ) i eventually lost it , and gave him a lecture , to the effect that it is imperitive that he takes it, as he has never had a bike before,oh and one more thing, did i mention that his choice for a first bike was a Hardley dresser. AAAHHH
            This guy is like 5' 8'' and 170lbs soaking wet,i wish him luck, and hope everyone else can aviod him.
            Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

I know for a fact that you did not start riding because you were in the "right frame of mind", first of all because I know you, and second, because you were ten when you started riding and I know that a ten year old doesn't say "hey, I'm gonna start riding a motorcycle because I want to be part of the biking community and be responsible and lead my biking life in a responsible, non-squiddish way". Ten year olds don't think like that, especially someone like you at the age of ten. They think, "hey that's awesome! I'm gonna get one and ride all these cool wheelies and show off to my friends and I'll be the coolest kid on the block!" Then, as you got older and (huh-hum) more mature, then you learned the responsiblities of riding. So yeah, maybe joe shmoe isn't thinking like the responsible rider you are now, but he will learn just like you did.
              >>> Missy <<<

With great power, comes great responsibility...So don't be the one to screw it up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CrunchieJD
                I know for a fact that you did not start riding because you were in the "right frame of mind", first of all because I know you, and second, because you were ten when you started riding and I know that a ten year old doesn't say "hey, I'm gonna start riding a motorcycle because I want to be part of the biking community and be responsible and lead my biking life in a responsible, non-squiddish way". Ten year olds don't think like that, especially someone like you at the age of ten. They think, "hey that's awesome! I'm gonna get one and ride all these cool wheelies and show off to my friends and I'll be the coolest kid on the block!" Then, as you got older and (huh-hum) more mature, then you learned the responsiblities of riding. So yeah, maybe joe shmoe isn't thinking like the responsible rider you are now, but he will learn just like you did.
                ...that's actually pretty good, WK. Whatcha got? :P

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
                  So...the funniest thing happend today!

I was checking out this web forum, and I GOT TRANSPORTED INTO SOMEONE'S LIVING ROOM!!

It was really weird. I could hear their whole conversation.....

:P

anywho, you're right when I got my first 3wheeler when I was 10 or 11 I didnt understand what motorcycling totally meant, or all that was involved with it, but I was wanting to ride and learn so I got one for christmas that year. I took my time and learned, and took my msf course when I was old enough to ride on the street. I learned the right way because my dad and brother taught me that's how riding is supposed to be.

The difference between the frame of mind of a kid w/out proper instruction and guidance and the frame of mind of an 18 yr old or a 50 yr should be light years apart from each other. If a full grown adult is coming into the sport for the right reasons.. the ones that show a true rider, then thats awesome and we should all be so lucky as to have all new riders come in w/ this mentality..but it doesnt happen.. the bad boy, rebel, cool biker, stunter, squid, image takes over and they just want to be apart of that. Which is a total crock!

Yeah I was 10 years old and didnt know everything about riding, and I still dont know, but Ive learned because I chose to learn the right way.. as opposed to someone who comes into the sport as an adult and chooses to ride the wrong way for thw wrong reasons.

Comment

The difference between the frame of mind of a kid w/out proper instruction and guidance and the frame of mind of an 18 yr old or a 50 yr should be light years apart from each other.

The key words here are "should be". But that's not always the case. Everyone's circumstances are different. But I'd bet a shiatload of money that 98% of bikers, their very first reason to get a bike is because they saw someone or something that made them think "awesome!", not the thought of becoming a part of a certain community. Please! So basically the thought process is

step one: awesome!
                    step two: I'm gonna get one
                    step three: buy one and take it down two to a hundred times
                    step four: get better and take your msf course
                    step five: ride a lot or a little, and after a while realize that you really don't want to die, so you wear the right gear, take the right courses, read as much as you can
                    step six: realize that you've actually matured to the best of your ability and are now part of the "right frame of mind" people

Now maybe not everyone thinks this way, but my bet is I'm pretty damn close.
                    >>> Missy <<<

Comment

The key words here are "should be". But that's not always the case.
                      My exact point, its the ones where this isnt the case that I take issue with.

And yes, one of the reasons to ride is that its awesome. Its an awesome feeling to be out on the road, to ride on 2 wheels, to have even the dull, boring ride to work,be transformed into a fun experience. To have a smile on ur face from the time you start up the bike till the time u get off.

step three: buy one and take it down two to a hundred times
                      It doesnt have to be like that. Sure going down at some point and probably more than once is inevitable IMO, but why increase your chances 100 times by riding like an arse.

and by the way, yes we are just debating, we arent really mad at each other

Comment

Give it up MATT. She has you by the short hairs. I bet you are sleeping on the Couch tonight.

I see her point and yours. Every one starts riding for all different kinds of reasons. I started when I was 5. I saw my cousins riding and told my uncle I wanted to learn. He put me on the bike and said here is the gas and clutch see you later. It was a dirt bike and I was in a open field. I did lay it down but boy it was fun while I was up on 2 wheels. I eventually learned the right way to ride and not be to much of a squid. I still do stupid things as seen in the videos I have done. As for you Matt you are correct too in the fact some people do not have a clue about motorcycles and should never be allowed around one let alone on one. So you 2 go kiss and make up and we will continue this tomorrow night in your living room. So good night folks and tune in tomorrow for the Lizzard and Crunchie Taco Show
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Who says they're going to ride like an arse? I'm talking about new bikers in general for whatever their reason!
                          >>> Missy <<<

Comment

New bikers in general are more apt to go down simply due to inexperience..and new ones w/ the wrong attitude and motive for riding are even worse..

geez this logging in and out is getting old

Comment

I was not going to say anything because this is like a lovers spat or something, but I gotta tell ya matt....i am not in synch with your way of thinking. you really gotta open your mind. if someone wants to go out and buy a big fat harley and dress up like tonto because he thinks it would be cool, then all the power to him. whatever floats your boat. it's thier life, and that is their way to be happy with it. everyone finds happines and pleasure and fun in their own ways. who are we to dictate what others choose to do? within reason of course. it is the same in the rest of the world. with cages, with guns, with whatever....everyone has thier own way to do things. some good...some bad. you can't let it get to you.
                              besides...wanna hear my definition of a real biker? A real bike rides for himself. When he is on his bike, he doesn't care what other style of bikers think. And he shouldn't worry how other bikers choose to ride.
                              It's just you and the machine. The rest of the world just doesn't matter.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X