X

How much does she weigh?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does she weigh?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the approx "wet" weight of a 1999 suzuki katana 750. I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle carrier (the kind that attaches right to the hitch on your truck, and am wondering just how much the bike weighs. My truck as a 8000lb pull capacity, and a 500lb tongue weight. Check out this auction, for the carrier i'm trying to describe.

On totalmotorcycle.com it shows an '04 at a dry weight of 465 lbs. And a '95 at 460 lbs. dry weight. Which I found kind of odd...so hopefully someone can chime in on this and validate it? So, by the time you put your fluids, and the carier on the tongue...I'm not sure how great of an idea it would be? I wouldn't mind looking into something like this tho since I've seen it.
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Wet the bike weighs about 550 lbs...
      -Steve

Comment

yeah I wouldnt chance it myself.. but I have an aquaintance who's used to haul his gixxer and loves it, never had a problem that I know of... Obviously the Kats are heavier, so I'd pass though.

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
          it doesn't weight that much. my 93 1100 weighs 553lbs dry.

according to www.suzukicycles.org the 99 750 kat specs http://www.suzukicycles.org/1990-1999/1999b.shtml

GSX 750 F Katana 1999
          Length: 2 135 mm (84.1 in)
          Width: 750 mm (29.5 in)
          Height: 1 190 mm (46.9 in)
          Seat Height: 790 mm (31.1 in)
          Wheelbase: 1 465 mm (57.7 in)
          Ground Clearance: 120 mm (4.7 in)
          Dry Weight: 200 kg (441 lbs)
          Engine type: 748 cc, four-stroke, 4-cylinder, 16 valves, air/oil-cooled, DOHC,TSCC. 92,6 hp (68,1 Nm)/ 10,500 rpm, 66,7 Nm/ 9,500 rpm.

so if you have 441lbs dry, just add the weight of gas and oil. gasoline weighs around 6lbs per gallon, so if you have a 5 gallon tank, that is 30lbs. ....that brings it to 476lbs. Oil is much more dense, so weighs more. lets go as far as doubling the weight....12lbs/gallon. to be even more safe, lets say there is 20lbs of oil.....that is 496lbs. add another 4lbs for electrolite in the battery and clutch/brake fluid.....you are talking 500lbs tops.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

+1 Mojoe
            www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

our Kat's are too long for that anyway. I checked this out already.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                our Kat's are too long for that anyway. I checked this out already.
                not according to these guys. if they can make one for a busa, your little 600's and 750's will be just fine. i would not be afraid to put my 1100 on one. I saw a goldwing on the back of a winnabego like that. the only thing that would worry me is the receiver on the tow vehicle. a 3500lb hitch is the towing capacity....not the tongue weight. with my bike, plus the weight of the carrier, i am looking at over 600lbs. you would want a good solid hitch.

GRADY COUNTY CARRIERS SPECIALIZES IN CUSTOM WORK!!!

IF YOU WANT THE OPTIONAL LIGHT KIT ADD.....$65.00

IF YOU WANT THE OPTIONAL UPGRADE TO HANDLE THE BIG BIKES WITH LIKE THE HAYABUSA AND ZX-10 ADD.........$65.00

IF YOU WANT A GAS TANK CARRIER ADD........$49.99

IF YOU WANT 5 RACHET STYLE TIE-DOWN STRAPS RATED TO HOLD UP TO 1500LBS ADD.....$45.00
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I don't care what the weight is, I'd NEVER haul a bike as big as a Kat that way! Man, that's just asking for a problem or a disaster!

BTW...............I'd say they mostly all wya just under 500 lbs. I've hauled two Kats on my trailer LOTS of times..............and I know the empty weight of the trailer, and I've pulled thru the scales just to check weight: never have I been over 1,000 pounds net with two Kats on board........and they're both "WET".
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

According to what I've seen, the wet weight for a fully-loaded Kat (i.e. - all fluids topped off) should be 510 lbs for 98+ Kat 600 and 519 lbs for a 98+ Kat 750. Naturally, what's stuffed under the seat plays into this a bit too...

Common weights:
                    Gasoline = 6.45 lbs per gallon
                    Motor Oil = 1.8 to 2lbs per liter, depending on brand/weight.
                    Brake fluid (DOT 4) = 1.96 lbs per liter
                    Estimated fluid weight added for a Kat full is approximately 44lbs plus the weight of the battery, based on a full loads using the above.

Good Luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why would you haul it that way on the back of a Truck that has a perfectly good place to put a couple of bikes. LOL
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yup, my bad... Okay, 520, not 550. Sheesh... Still, heavy...
                        -Steve

Comment

I used to use one of those for my motocross bike and had no problems, but that is only 200 pounds or so. If you go for it, just use ALOT of straps and start,stop, and make turns gentler than usual. Good luck.

Comment

Somehow you get that bike onto the carrier. Drive it up with an extension ramp? The consequences of losing balance would be quite severe.

Is there a tilt feature on the carrier, where you drive the bike up like on a see-saw?

Two very strong men grab the bike somewhere and lift it onto the carrier?

If you are going to pull a camper trailer, this set-up might be necessary. Or if your truck bed was going to be filled with other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                              donno where you getting your numbers from but at Epping NH (drag strip) and a gallon of gas my 750 weighed 482 wet with about a gallon of gas like i said b4

Comment

Working...
                              X