X

Is 96 a bad year for KATS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smhholm
    Yeah, that blinker fluid will get ya. The muffler bearrings are even worse though.
    Actially, they are properly named Main Exhaust Tubular Bearings. Since the older Kats have twin Exhaust, 2 are required... and unfortunately, they are pretty expensive - usually around $200 + each. Special order item too!

-Grimmy
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmy
      Yeah, that blinker fluid will get ya. The muffler bearrings are even worse though.
      Actially, they are properly named Main Exhaust Tubular Bearings. Since the older Kats have twin Exhaust, 2 are required... and unfortunately, they are pretty expensive - usually around $200 + each. Special order item too!

-Grimmy

Comment

My '01 has muffler (well, collector) bearings. Seriously...

Now for the rest of the story:
        When I got the headers Jet-Coated, they stuck them in a vibratory tumbler afterwards to polish them, and some of the ceramic beads used in the tumbler got stuck in some of the holes in the collector (there's a bit of holed-sheet metal inside the OEM collector) -- hence the bearings comment.

KNOW THIS:
        The 96 & 97 Kats in the North American market are the same as the 90-95 Kats EXCEPT for the change over to the new (98+) style spark plugs -- CR9EK. The new plugs are a smaller diameter and a different design.
        I've been told by those in the know that the '96 & '97 Kats in most of Europe get the TPS (throttle position sensor) which doesn't appear until the '98 Kats in the USA. That would also mean a mandatory difference in CDI's. Then again, the European CDI's were generally always different, using a much larger amount of advance than the North American market Kats (and why adding a 5 degree advancer here is common; add one to an Euro-Kat and it would push the advance too far forward).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

don't mind duffy, he was dropped on his head at birth.

Comment

& from what I've heard, several times since then

Comment

Originally posted by lopeha
              & from what I've heard, several times since then
              no....just the one time. he doesn't get dropped on his head anymore....he just gives head.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Really ? He'll be at the rally , right ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You guys aren't right.... But thanks for the actual info in this thread. I think that was one or two of these post....
                  Chase

Comment

shut up matt and no i wont

Comment

Working...
                    X