X

Help - chain and tire alignment!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - chain and tire alignment!

going on a trip for a few days tomorrow with the Kat, just went down to give the bike an inspection and adjust the chain.

problem: in neutral, on the center stand, i noticed after i adjusted the chain, i was turning the wheel slowly to lube the chain and it gets tense at a certain spot - ie doesn't turn freely. i am assuming its not aligned properly (tire)...i checked the alignment lines (the notches on either side) and they are not that far off...i mean, one is just to the right of the last notch, the other is just to the left...so i loosened the wheel nut again (the one with the cotter pin) and started adjusting those two nuts for the chain...i just can't seem to line them up perfectly without getting the chain either way to tense or way to loose...and when i loosen the bolt on the right side, the metal bracket just goes way too loose, as if its loosened as much as it can be.

i'm guessing my chain is stretched to its limit and i need a new one. i have been very careful to adjust it properly and keep an eye on it this year...also lube it after every ride, even cleaned it with chain cleaner at the start of the season. this is the first time i notices the 'tension' when rotating the wheel...but then again i usually lube it on the center stand while the wheel is spinning in first gear, and not with my hand.

now i'm all packed and set to leave tomorrow and i am a little worried. was planning to stop by my mechanic tomorrow morning and hopefully he will take a few mintutes to look at it, adjust it properly and give me his opinion..

any advice would be appreciated!

how many miles you got on that chain?
    Unfortunately....the real way to check the chain is with it off the bike....and how much it bends when you hold it out straight....

IOW, how much play between pin and journal. But I'm thinking, if it buches in places....given proper adjustment and lube....yeah, you may need a chain...

Of course all this depends on how severe you're talking about.....could really be nothing. So, how many miles?

Comment

18,000. i know its in rough shape but i think it will last for this trip...i can adjust it if needed...but i'm worried about the wheel alignment...if thats whats causing the wheel to not spin freely...

i guess i'll drop in to the mechanic i use...he's a bit of a perfectionist and honest so if its not safe for a long journey he'll be up front.....and hopefully he'll have time to adjust it for me...he's could be a bit grumpy at times...

Comment

Easy way to check for chain stretch:

If you can pull the chain 1mm off the back sprocket's base (the picture shows about 6mm to 8mm pull-off), then the chain is ready for replacement and the sprockets probably are too (and if they're not, they will be shortly because of the damages induced by using a stretched-out chain).

18k miles is a good lifespan for a typical OEM style chain and if it's the original, it's probably ready for renewal.

As for the binding -- you may find that it has zero to do with alignment and everything to do with either your rear sprocket being oblong (not perfectly round), or more likely, one or more of the chain link seals are toasted (often visible as a reddish powder at the seal at first -- that's the sealed lubricant inside leaking out). If the rear wheel is out of alignment, you may also see it as a change in where the sprocket teeth meet the chain as you rotate the tire by hand in neutral -- in two spots it may meet the outside of the chain's roller links when the teeth first engage, and in two spots it may meet the inside of the chain's roller links where the teeth first engage, per full rotation -- this would be a definite indication that the alignment is way off.

Finally, if you have to use the stock chain adjuster notches to compare the two sides, push them as far forward as they will go -- this will give you a much more accurate comparison than just letting them hang. Once aligned using that method, start tightening down the axle, and from that point on, count rotations of the adjustor nuts (or bolts, if you riding some other types of bikes) to keep them in sync -- 1/4 turn each side then recheck, etc.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Easy way to check for chain stretch:

If you can pull the chain 1mm off the back sprocket's base (the picture shows about 6mm to 8mm pull-off), then the chain is ready for replacement and the sprockets probably are too (and if they're not, they will be shortly because of the damages induced by using a stretched-out chain).

18k miles is a good lifespan for a typical OEM style chain and if it's the original, it's probably ready for renewal.

As for the binding -- you may find that it has zero to do with alignment and everything to do with either your rear sprocket being oblong (not perfectly round), or more likely, one or more of the chain link seals are toasted (often visible as a reddish powder at the seal at first -- that's the sealed lubricant inside leaking out). If the rear wheel is out of alignment, you may also see it as a change in where the sprocket teeth meet the chain as you rotate the tire by hand in neutral -- in two spots it may meet the outside of the chain's roller links when the teeth first engage, and in two spots it may meet the inside of the chain's roller links where the teeth first engage, per full rotation -- this would be a definite indication that the alignment is way off.

Finally, if you have to use the stock chain adjuster notches to compare the two sides, push them as far forward as they will go -- this will give you a much more accurate comparison than just letting them hang. Once aligned using that method, start tightening down the axle, and from that point on, count rotations of the adjustor nuts (or bolts, if you riding some other types of bikes) to keep them in sync -- 1/4 turn each side then recheck, etc.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Thanks for the info. I am just about to head to my mechanic and this info will come in handy.

Comment

dropped in to my mechanic (Rosey Toes in Etobicoke)...got the chain changed! Brand new D.I.D chain. Great to have someone willing to do it on such short notice. Anyone in the area I highly recommend Ted.

Well, I'm off! Had to get back home to pick up some documents!

Comment

*Ahem* http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...ight=such+dolt
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I just had my chain and sprockets replaced ... HUUUUUUGE difference!
                Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Working...
                X