No announcement yet.
X

How fast have you got your kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got my 91 kat 750 to 120mph by speedo, but i've noticed my speedo errors as early as 60mph (my speedo reads 60 when i'm really doing 55) so i'm not sure what speed that actually is. rode by a radar a few times and the speed on the radar matched up fine with the speedo till about 50mph or so....

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

...you guys are friggin pussies!!!

I've had my 98Kat-600 up around where you can feel the atomic particles in the air bounce off your helmet! (gives you a headache after a while). And if some moron says "the Kat can't go that fast", you can just bite my ass! I've had the Kat tuned out by Valentino Rossi himself with a $60 off the shelf jet kit, a "HI-FLOW" air filter, and a slip on exhaust! ...and although my chain is rusty and clagged up because I never clean and lube it, a spark plug is dead because it never woke up from last winter, a family of rats set up a nest in the air box, my bald tires have about as much grip as a penguin flipper after he's finished eating a box of KFC... I can still whip all my friend's hyabusas asses even if they caught a tailwind from a force 5 hurricane!!!

...I've actually been mistaken for a misguided cruise missiles!!!

Surprisingly, the tacho remains accurate. I'm going faster than a GPS satellite can orbit the planet (so I can't use this to measure), but my tacho goes all the way up to "you're the fuckin hell-man, as a reward you should go find you some pussy!!!" (you need to change the face plate of the tacho to get this text on there).

...but hey, there's still room to upgrade my awesome l33t, yet-still-rather-stock, machine, 'cause I can change a sprocket, and cause when I'm at the top end, I can still feel that the bike really isn't maxed out yet. Like as if I'm still at idle, my bike rocks!... after my sprocket upgrade (I'm gonna gear down the rear sproket so I can chuck wheelies!!! fuckin l33t!), it's gonna go so much faster in the top end, that instead of just splitting atoms, I can race past that ray of light that's been taunting me all week, and turn the road into a simulation of a black hole!! I'll get to the finish line so fast I'll be able to watch my awesome riding ass catch up!!!

There's a reason my bike is called "the singularity, fuckers!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
        Are you talking about upshifts, downshifts, or both? I am finding that if I shift up in a higher rpm band (around 5,000 rpm, or more), the shifts are smoother.
        Both... the transmission in the Kat and virtually any other 4-stroke motorcycle is designed to not have positive push against it from the engine at the instant of shifting (I.e. - don't lay on the throttle and then just keep shifting). Even in drag-shift-kits (air or electric-solenoid) for 4-stroke bikes, which quick-shift without use of the clutch, both types interrupt the spark signal to the engine momentarily before the shift to unload the power-output to the tranny spline for the execution of the shift.

You unload thrust coming off the engine by matching rpm's with the engine speed needed in the new gear?
        I unload it by using the clutch and then matching the RPM's... Since RPM matching can be a difficult task on downshifts (watching the road, the speedo, the tach all at the same time), I normally blip the throttle past where I know it's going to end up and release the clutch as the RPM's fall "thru" where the perfect RPM spot is, thus completing the actual shift with the RPM's closely matched and no power-load on the tranny spline.

With the Kat, if I am coming to a complete stop, I leave it in 6th until about 12 or 15 mph, and then pull in the clutch and do multiple downshifts to neutral.
        Consider learning to downshifting as far as 3rd as part of your normal riding technique, and then do the 2nd and 1st downshift after you get down to 5 mph or a full stop... This way you can't get caught out at 18 mph with a sudden need to accelerate out of trouble and the engine bogging away in 6th gear.

In trying to match rpm to speed in gear, is it better to have a little more rpm than needed, or a little less?
        A little more downshifting with the clutch, a little less if upshifting with the clutch. Generally, most shifts will result in a 1000 - 1400 RPM change in the 4k to 9k RPM band.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

135mph on 93 kat 600 according to speedo.

Comment

I came around a turn and over a little hill, to find a 2 mile long decline (maybe 15 degrees down or so) so I floored (er.. grabbed all the throttle?) it. I got up to around 130 or so speedo.

Comment

I had my 96 kat 600 at 140 then I got passed by a 05 vette. I backed off then

Comment

Originally posted by theKM
                ...you guys are friggin pussies!!!

I've had my 98Kat-600 up around where you can feel the atomic particles in the air bounce off your helmet! (gives you a headache after a while). And if some moron says "the Kat can't go that fast", you can just bite my ass! I've had the Kat tuned out by Valentino Rossi himself with a $60 off the shelf jet kit, a "HI-FLOW" air filter, and a slip on exhaust! ...and although my chain is rusty and clagged up because I never clean and lube it, a spark plug is dead because it never woke up from last winter, a family of rats set up a nest in the air box, my bald tires have about as much grip as a penguin flipper after he's finished eating a box of KFC... I can still whip all my friend's hyabusas asses even if they caught a tailwind from a force 5 hurricane!!!

...I've actually been mistaken for a misguided cruise missiles!!!

Surprisingly, the tacho remains accurate. I'm going faster than a GPS satellite can orbit the planet (so I can't use this to measure), but my tacho goes all the way up to "you're the fuckin hell-man, as a reward you should go find you some pussy!!!" (you need to change the face plate of the tacho to get this text on there).

...but hey, there's still room to upgrade my awesome l33t, yet-still-rather-stock, machine, 'cause I can change a sprocket, and cause when I'm at the top end, I can still feel that the bike really isn't maxed out yet. Like as if I'm still at idle, my bike rocks!... after my sprocket upgrade (I'm gonna gear down the rear sproket so I can chuck wheelies!!! fuckin l33t!), it's gonna go so much faster in the top end, that instead of just splitting atoms, I can race past that ray of light that's been taunting me all week, and turn the road into a simulation of a black hole!! I'll get to the finish line so fast I'll be able to watch my awesome riding ass catch up!!!

There's a reason my bike is called "the singularity, fuckers!!!"

You are a dork .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

on my bike i ran out of room on the speedo, but that is with this set up which i think it was at 165ish on the speedo

813 overbore
                  yoshi exhaust
                  ignition advancer
                  kn pods
                  dyno jet kit
                  and 14/45 gearing
                  The Katana's Big Brother
                  1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    You are a dork .
                    Thank you thank you very much

...I was starting to think the post was under-appreciated until your reply.

Comment

And I thought you were serious at first , too ! You weren't , were you ? *bounces club in open hand*
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        And I thought you were serious at first , too ! You weren't , were you ? *bounces club in open hand*
                        ...while I do believe that I should be rewarded with pussy :tongueflap ...yes, it was completely satirical.

Comment

well i don't have my kat yet but iv'e gotten my friends 05 kawi ZX6RR up to 156mph and ran out of road.. I had more room to roam on the tach....

Comment

Working...
                          X