X

Projects: BIG and small

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects: BIG and small

I decided to simply start a thread with my projects on it. Some of them actually take some work, most of them aren't that hard. I'll post some pictures just to keep you guys updated on the look of my bike.

Projects I can think of at the moment include:
    -Amp/speaker system with audio hook-up for mp3 player
    -paint and/or reupholster seats
    -paint bike
    -replace main left fairing
    -replace windscreen
    -tank pad and gas cap pad
    -remove bulky tail section
    -accent the bike with LED's
    -powder coat rims
    -wheel stripes
    -flush mount signals
    -replace brake/clutch levers
    -new decals
    -paint visible sections of frame

I'm sure I'll add to the list as I go.

Right now, I've actually begun a bit of the work.

The rear view mirrors are pulled off, I bought some small hot-spot mirrors from Advanced, cut them with a dremel, and have them glued to the back of the turn signals. This is temporary as I plan on removing those turn signals.

Also pulled off the passenger grab bar. though, for the moment, I've left the bolts and spacers on (stick slightly out of the seat) yes, it's unappealing, but I'm painting the seats soon, and at that time, I'll buy some caps to fit in where the bolts are, making it look 100 X BETTER...

If I can find a way I'd like my rear turn signals, I may be hacking off the tail section very VERY soon. maybe tomorrow or the next day. Start off the new year the RIGHT WAY.... with new projects!!! woot!

Speaker System - I honestly have only heard of one sport bike having this. And it's a local guy who rides a post 98 Kat. Though I'm 95% sure he's not a KR member. That aside, I already have this planned out on how I'm going to do it, and I've begun the purchasing process. gotta wait for my ebay product to get here, then I can begin. It doesn't seem complicated, but just for a bit of excitement, I'm going to keep this idea in Check, holding back on the information and pictures (hoping it turns out how I want it to.) until the end, where hopefully it will be worth it. We'll see how it goes!

Sig and I painted my current windscreen black, which turned out great..............until we put on the clear coat. Not so great. A few small bubble spots appeared and it wasn't the best job. So, as planned (due to small cracks and imperfections in the windscreen) I purchased a new one already and it's on it's way.

I'll ad more each day or so on my progress or ideas...

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to go about some of the projects? (though few-none are anything more than minor things)

or even ideas on what other things I may want to consider.

I'm riding a 1996 Katana 600... fyi.

Originally posted by Lil' G View Post
    -Amp/speaker system with audio hook-up for mp3 player

Speaker System - I honestly have only heard of one sport bike having this. And it's a local guy who rides a post 98 Kat.
    I've often considered this. The only ones I've seen are the waterproof, ready made setup for cruisers.

The only one so far that I liked is in this picture. But I do not know who makes it. Controller on the left, speaker in the center.

Keep us updated.
    Attached Files
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

That's kinda out in the open and obnoxious, lol. As I said, I'm trying to keep my ideas about that concealed until I try it (whether it works or not) but I will say I'm going to try and fasten mine in the undertail (below the passenger seat)... and it's not already fashioned... more on the make-shift side.

Comment

double posting... I know I suck.

Thought of one in the shower, lol. I had wanted to do this for a while as well, just forgot when I was writing down the list last night.

-Kill Switch for all lights.

Comment

-Kill Switch for all lights.[/QUOTE]

i think that would be kool i have thought about it for a while

Comment

That's kinda out in the open and obnoxious, lol.
            The cruiser ones are worse. At least this speaker in thin and less obtrusive. The volume controller...well I don't what could be done.

Kill Switch for all lights.
            All the lights or just the headlights?

I've seen a European headlight switch for some other models that will allow to turn the headlights off during start up. Then afterwards you can flip the headlights on.

I guess the DOT figures Americanos are too dumb to remember to turn the headlight on before they ride away.

Comment

ALL lights Squiggy... even when the brakes are applied. Almost like a stealth mode

And I've already got my speaker system all planned out. I'm either going to have a 6x9 speaker or a 6.5" speaker... not sure which one. But aside from that, I'm also mounting two tweeters (some little cheapos) to the front of the bike.

I've ordered: amp, silver decals, dark smoked (pretty much black) windscreen, tank pad, gas cap pad...

Soon, I'm buying: speakers/tweeters, LED's to play with...

Comment

So are you talking about music while riding or while parked?

Comment

Music while riding. The power and volume will have switches/knobs on the "dash", as I wouldn't use it at higher speeds. Just backroads/stop go traffic/parking lots/small roads... and the like. Not exactly sure how loud it's going to be. But I'll find out in the next 2 weeks. I've done the measureing and planning on where everything's going to go, and it's looking great. Not saying it's going to be easy, but I shouldn't run into any major problems... as it's pretty straight forward.

Comment

Let me know how you do the lights.. light kill switch could come in handy !

Comment

ALL lights Squiggy... even when the brakes are applied. Almost like a stealth mode
                      That doesn't sound like a smart thing to do....even if you're running from cops at night, you still need to see where you're going.
                      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                        That doesn't sound like a smart thing to do...
                        I'm gonna take this one step further and say that's a really dumb idea. Not only dumb and unsafe but illegal. And as for the speakers, I cant hear my headphones over 30, let alone speakers. You will also be projecting noise everywhere you go, a gooood way to get cops attention and a ticket.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Didn't expect to get support from everyone, and it's cool, not in it for others' approvals.

I will make note that the 'lights off' mod isn't for running from cops, despite what you think. Even if I mentioned it, which I didn't, it would have only been in a joking manner. It'd be kinda cool to have the bike running with just the LED's showing... no brake or head light. (not moving, just sitting)

That, and the speaker idea is just something that I want to try. Somewhat inexpensive. I will have spent about $125 plus a few hours of work. If it doesn't work out all that great... least I tried. And we do have a local rider that has successfully done it and from what my buddy tells me, you can hear him coming from down the road (his speakers). So who knows? To me, it's worth a shot.

====================================

on a SIDE NOTE! I just got back from Advanced and O'Riley's. I picked up some gloss black vinyl/fabric spraypaint for my purple seats. WOOHOO! That, and I also bought a 132 decible freeway blaster (my current/stock one is 105 decible). Hopefully there will be a noticable difference. I believe it's a car horn, but oh well. What I would really like is my parents '99 Ford Explorer horn, that will make you jump! But, I can only wish.

OUT!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

New Post:

So I just replaced the horn, and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER! I think part of it had to do that my previous horn was going out (if that can even happen) but it sounded pathetic. But I bought a horn with an extra 27 decibles, and it's amazing.

Also, I went ahead and used the fabric/vinyl spray paint on the seats. After 3 coats, they're looking great.

Yeah, I know these are simple things, but it makes my bike look/sound/feel much better, thus making me that much happier.

OUT!
                          Last edited by Lil' G; 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Supposedly the high and low tone Freeway Blaster is the way to go. But trying to fit two horns would be tough. Maybe in two different places.

Comment

Working...
                            X