Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cold Starts (probably stupid and pointless)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Starts (probably stupid and pointless)

Alrighty, so I live in Milton, Florida, and it's FINALLY starting to get cold. (seems like it's 40's-50's today, lol)

Anyway, I'm finding out that my bike... well, she's real bitchy about cold starts and SUPER touchy on the throttle. The constant ascending/descending of the RPM's goes on for a few miles.

This may be normal, but I wouldn't know it, but is there any way to HELP the issue? Would tuning the carbs help some? because I haven't done that yet(and plan to within the next 2 weeks). Other than that, I have no other plans for messing with the bike much as she is running great.

Thank ya much,
    Lil' G

general tune up, def check the carbs if its been a while and yeah it can take a few times to get it warm enough to idle.

Fife

Comment

Mine is being a bit "cranky" (lolpun) when I start up the first time in the morning (finally getting "cold" here in AZ too). I know I need to replace my plugs and air filter and attribute most of the initial idle issues to that. Clean carbs of course is the generic answer to any kat mechanical question and never hurts.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Alrighty, didn't think too much about the air filter. And whether or not it helps much, i'm sure it's time for a new one none the less. Carbs will get tuned soon, so that's on the list as well.

Out,
        Lil' G

Comment

Put a full 16 ounce can of Seafoam in the gas next time you fill up and run the tank until its almost gone. I did that to my ZRX (located in Orlando)when it started acting goofy on cold starts and now it runs great and saved me alot of time not having to pull and clean 4 carbs. Its a cheap easy fix for 6 bucks at Wal Mart. You might still need those other items checked also but its always good to start with the simple stuff first.

Comment

Yeah I run a bottle of sea foam thru my bike spread out over about 3 tanks in between each oil change, but I'd recommend that as a maintenance item more than a quick fix.
            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Working...
            X