X

Another Newbie Kat performance question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie Kat performance question

I just bought my '06 Kat 600 5 months ago. After doing some research and talking to other bikers I found the Kat fit exactly what I was looking for. It was'nt until after I bought it that I started hearing some of the bad rap it gets in the performance area. But because I had nothing to compare it to, it was (and is) PLENTY fast for me. Besides it fit my budget and my insurance company said "good its not on the list for the higher rates". Anyway, Im lovin' the Kat, performance and all.
    However having said that, one of my so-called friends came by my house just when I was starting to really consider buying a bike. He had just bought a cruiser, one of those old-school Harley Police bikes. I forgot what year it is but it an 1100 or 1200cc. I told him that I was considering getting a bike too. He tried to convince me to get a big bike cause they can "go fast".......whatever. I saw him a couple days ago. He approached me while I was talking to some non-biker friends about my Kat. He said "are you ready to sell that 600 and get you a bike,.. you should've at least got a 750". Ordinarily it wouldn't have bothered me but he made me feel like my Kat is a real weeny bike.
    Sorry for the long intro but my question is this. Sooner or later he is gonna come by the house and want to go for a ride. I know better than to try to ride beyond my abilities but I wonder if my Kat will have a real hard time keeping up with him. Mind you he is a big guy at around 6'7 and at least 320 lbs. I'm 5'8 ~190. I have ridden with a couple buddies I met in the MSF class. One rides a 2K(i think) CBR 900, the other rides an '05 Gixxer 1000. Both of course are a lot faster but I am able to keep up on the streets/freeway.
    I know I shouldnt let it bother me but this one kinda got to me. It was a bit embarrassing and I dont think he knows much about sport bikes anyway. I'd love to give him a bit of a surprise on how my Kat can run. But if I'm gonna get smoked I'll let it him go and play it off.

If you need to feel that you have to show him up I would not ride with him as that is how you get into trouble, Be happy that you have a nice handling, comfortable bike and let it go.

There are a few things that you can do to get more response such as Jet kit and Ignition Advancer.

Where you at in So Cal anyway? Going to the Motorcycle show?

Tmod

Comment

You will definitely regret making any decisions on how to ride based on how you want others to view you. Always, ALWAYS, ride for yourself, not for others. You'd be surprised anyhow, how correct riding in the twisties can make a slow bike fast. It's all about proper gear, lean angle and acceleration out of turns. You don't need much more than 600 cc's to go through turns. Ride to your ability and don't try to keep up with anyone if it puts you in danger. If you think your embarassed now, wait how you'll feel when you're sitting on the side of the road with a broken bike and a broken leg.
      2006 Katana 600
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the Kat is a good bike for you, especially beginner bike. don't worry about what he says. Gain your experience and you will whip him no matter what he is riding. (sounds like he needs the extra power to get him around anyway)
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I'm sure that Kat will walk away from that Harley all day long.

Comment

And off the record, I still think the Kat 600 should be able to take one of those old school HD police bikes in a race, Maybe you should tell him to meet you at a drag strip somewhere.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

all out .. he may take you on a really long run .. but cc's do not equal better performance .. while you have a fairly heavy bike .. he has a really heavy bike .. plus the extra hundred pounds he carries .. his aerodynamics are crap compared to yours .. all that being said .. if you worry about what anyone else thinks .. you have already lost
              so many roads so little time

Comment

Any fat fool on a Harley can go fast in a straight line.

Practice and learn to go round the twisties with minimal braking, nice and smooth lines, and correct gear selections, and you'll smoke 90% of riders on your 600 Kat, no matter what they ride or how crap they say your bike is.

Comment

The Kat is more than capable. Don't allow yourself to get lured into a situation where you are being competitive or pushing yourself to "keep up". That falls into the stupid category and will get you the honor being able to post in the "Request for lessons learned" thread.

Comment

Your Kat will do fine. Ride for you - F#$% the dumb shiate.
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

A 1200cc Hd police bike would be an antique, last produced in '78, then a 1340 'till '99, a 1450 'till '07, and a 1550 'till present. Your 600 has more Horsepower than any of them, but less torque. You should be able to leave him in the dust, but don't ride over your head to prove anything to some clown. You're the best judge of your abilities though.
                      1996 600 Bandit
                      1955 HD Pan/Shovel
                      1971 HD Superglide
                      1987 1100 Sportster

Comment

There's been a lot of really good advice here, so I won't beat a dead horse too badly. I will say, however, that there are quite a few beginners who try to ride beyond their abilities and end up oweing a lot of money for a glorified boat anchor. Do yourself a favor and tell your friend you're willing to ride for the sake of riding, but if he's only interested in proving whose bike is faster, then **** off.

Comment

HAHa! Your Kat is about 150lb lighter with about 20 hp more than that 1930's design POS!

Comment

Indeed . But his penile enhancement is bigger than yours . Tell him he's a tool , and ask him if he wants to drag . Like up to say 100mph or something , so it's not TERRIBLY retarded .....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Buy him a CHIP's lunchbox and fill it with a couple of cans of motor oil so he can take on the road with him - he will need it before the trip is over . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X