X

woe is me for attempting to change my chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woe is me for attempting to change my chain

Well I have a new chain...so I came up with the brilliant idea to remove the old one, and swap it out...how hard can it be?

lol
    sooo...i dont have a chain breaker, i used my sawzall to tear the old chain off, I attached the new chain to the old chain with some picture wire and pulled it through so i didnt have to take the fairing off.

Low and behold, the chain was too short! Its my own fault, perhaps its because of the newer, bigger sprocket.

So after a few mins of cursing, i had to decide what to do next.
    I took the master link off the new chain, grinded down the pins on the old chain and tried to put the new master link on the old chain, so i would have a bike to ride....but now i cant slide the pins into old chains spaces...maybe they became bent?

Now what do i do?
    Ive given up! I dont want to buy another new chain

Thanks

Is there a formula I can use, to compute the number of needed links? For example, I have a 14t/48t set up.

Im looking at this one...
    Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

120 links?

Comment

now did you get yourself in this mess cuz you were a bit too lazy to remove the rear wheel? If you had of taken the wheel off, you could have removed the chain....just in case. NEVER destroy an old part for any vehicle until you have confirmed the new one fits. I learned the hard way...just like you just did. There is a formula you can use....count the links on your old one....including the one you cut off. Good luck!
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

well i wish it was as easy as removing the rear wheel, but u also have to remove the swingarm, suspension etc.

It was my first time replacing it, and I didnt consider everything ahead of time, but I learned the hard way...I guess we all do at some point

Thanks

Comment

Wish I had better advice for ya, then live and learn. Ive learned not to attempt things Im not comfortable w/out help around of someone who's knows more about what Im attempting.

Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way

Comment

so true.

I can manage 40 bucks for that chain i posted earlier...hopefully, I can turn around and sell this new chain i bought though

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
              well i wish it was as easy as removing the rear wheel, but u also have to remove the swingarm, suspension etc.

It was my first time replacing it, and I didnt consider everything ahead of time, but I learned the hard way...I guess we all do at some point

Thanks
              are you serious??? what a pita that is. I don't think I have to do all that. I will check tomorrow to make sure. I think I installed a solid chain once fairly easily...but I could be mistaken. The last 7-8 chains we all using a master link.

Comment

great news...
                I saved myself from buying a new chain!

I purchased a master link from a local stealer, and was able to grind off another link from my old chain and throw it back together!

However, I cant get the clip to fit snug inside the grooves of the master link, i didnt buy a rivet link bc i didnt have the tool, but now i cant get the sideplate to squeeze in all the way to get the clip completely snug.

I rode with it like this, and so far so good...but what can i do

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                  great news...
                  I saved myself from buying a new chain!

I purchased a master link from a local stealer, and was able to grind off another link from my old chain and throw it back together!

However, I cant get the clip to fit snug inside the grooves of the master link, i didnt buy a rivet link bc i didnt have the tool, but now i cant get the sideplate to squeeze in all the way to get the clip completely snug.

I rode with it like this, and so far so good...but what can i do
                  seriously dude....fix that master link....and i mean don't even drive it until you do. so much can go wrong with a chain. it can go flying out the back...or worse yet, in my opinion, is end up punching a hole in your engine. it can happen. it cost a buddy of mine $2k (at a dealer) when his let going during a brake burn. another buddy of mine lost his master link when we were on the highway. his chain was like a mile back cuz we were cruising downhill. i drove back on the shoulder and got it for him. he was lucky the master stayed with the chain. he just lost the clip. after alot of skin off the fingers, i managed to get his chain around the front sprocket and joined together...which wasn't easy cuz it was twisted...then I tightend the shit out of the chain. it held til he got home. you do know that the clip is made to go on one way, i hope. the end that is closed has to point in the direction of the chain rotation. think of the open end as two tails dragging behind.
                  seriously though....it can get expensive if it decides to. dangerous is a given as well. you don't have to to be goiing fast either to trash your engine....so the "i am taking it easy" way of thinking is when something stupid decides to happen. get it fixed right. stop off at the dealers and slip them $10 to put the clip on if you have to. it's better than having to put $ in an engine. that's just my opinion...and advice, I guess. take it as you want.

one thing i should add is you can try is take the master link off, then squeeze the 2 links at the end of the chain together a bit. not much, but enough so when you put the master back in, more of the pins are exposed...and the groove. it should do you safely until you get a new chain. just make sure whatever you do is secure and solid.

Comment

get it done properly....Mojoe is right....don't trust your bike or your life on a part that costs a few bucks.

Comment

thanks for your advice guys, i will def take it into consideration now...

Mojoe, i didnt know the clip goes on in a specific direction either. However, I tried and tried, but i cant squeeze the side plates hard enough to get the clip into securly, into the notches of the pin.

I tried clamps, channel locks, even two pliers at the same time...its almost like the o rings are too thick?In any case I cant even get the side plate off now, so i must squeeze it further.

any ideas how?

Comment

damn i wish you were closer id come hlep ya but get some lube and try to wiggle it off with cannel locks thats your best bet i think

Comment

It is a must to replace the sprockets when replacing a chain. I would have already had the fairings off.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

You chain lenght will but 520/118 or a 530/118 I have a the 14t/47t set up on my bike. I bought a 120 link chain just to cover the length if need be. I had a shop put mnie on since I did not have the "Correct" tool to put one on with. In the future take your wheel off because you would have saved yourself some headaches. Oh and by the way you do you know that the rear will could slide forward more to fit the new chain. You have to run the chain adjusters all the way out then slide the wheel forward then adjust the tension on the chain to about a 1/16th of play or to where it goes up onto a tooth and almost onto another one when you push up on the bottom of the chain.
                            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

at first, i didnt think to take the rear wheel off, i just tried to slide it over the rear sprocket, but i did figure that out soon after.

I took the clip and sideplate off today, i was able to push the plate further in, allowing the clip to become fully secured.

Thanks for everyones help

Comment

Working...
                              X