X

Dirt Bike riding on my KAT !!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike riding on my KAT !!!!!!!

I DID it this weekend : we went camping around North Adams in MA , and we had about 1 mile of dirt road to get as close as possible to the lake where we wanted to camp.

My friend had a EX500 Kawa ( a Ninja I believe) and I had the Kat with a passenger and some luggage ( camping , you know ...). And the Kat behaved absolutly PERFECTLY.

First the road was more like on Mount Washington ( dirt and some gravels). And the very end was muddy (pictures will come).

Than it started raining .. and we had to go get meat for the barbecue, no passenger this time. And that was really fun too ( 1st gear going down the sloppy muddy durt road on a Kat )

And last but not least, Sunday morning had to make it back WITH the passenger , down this time, on the muddy road .... Had no problem at all.

So I road it 4 times in total and it really was fun. But I do get a new front tire today (it wa already scheduled).

So my advice :

- going up low RPM second gear (lower torque ?) and keep going. The front tire is jumping around ... needs some control.

- going down : first gear , no front braking , only rear , and use AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE engine braking.

- and TRUST your bike, it really is a great bike !
    PICTURES are on the way.

W.
    WittyMonkey
    ----------------------------------
    www.bostontechnologies.com

I did a little dirt riding on my Kat years ago too. When we were living in OK, my wife's parents lived at the end of a mile long dirt road....I should say dirt and gravel. The Kat does suprisingly well off road.

Comment

I did it once, and I hated it. There were some really bad and deep ruts though.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

thats crazy! lol i guess u never know what your bike is capable of in the right hands
        Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
          thats crazy! lol i guess u never know what your bike is capable of in the right hands
          Or the wrong ones.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Did it at the rally last year -- about 3 miles worth...

I'll never take the back-road short-cut from Tapaco to Fontana again! Mostly it was the gravel that was a killer.

=-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The kat's are universal, take em anywhere, and they just keep goin, and goin,and goin...

Comment

north adams ahhaha that place is crazy HUGE PARTY school up there MCLA, if you went up RT 2 you went past my town Orange ma bout an hour and a half out side boston and an hour from North adams

Comment

Seems like every group ride I lead people on I find dirt and gravel roads. I blame the GPS. Those darn really squiggly lines look like FUN roads. Most of the time you're greeted with a "pavement ends" sign about 1/4 mile down the road though. I never turn back. Sometimes the gravel and dirt will go for a few miles, and sometimes just a few hundred feet. I have yet to own a bike that hasn't been down dirt or gravel roads..
                  -Steve

Comment

Been there , done that . No problem if you're careful and don't do anything TOO stupid (eh Jason ) .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

that road is not so bad. I travel roads like that often enough to get to the cottage. There are 3 roads to my camp....and all are gravel...and each one is between 12-16 miles (I measured it).
                      The gravel roads that really bother me are the ones that has just been graded....where is like 3-4 inches of very loose gravel on the surface. It's like riding on chunky snot and the bike just dort of wanders on the road. I like it, but most people who are ever with me take a lok at it and say, "fuck that"....lets go another way. I just chuckle and say, "there is no other way
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

So guys, aren't you afraid the gravel will give you a flat tire ?

W.
                        WittyMonkey
                        ----------------------------------
                        www.bostontechnologies.com

Comment

Nope . Like Mojoe said , thick gravel is what REALLY sucks . But if you're careful and take it easy till you get used to it , it gets fun ! Just don't fight the bike , GUIDE it . Those wheels will wander all over the place , and it's unnerving at first .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I keep a YZ 250 for that stuff!!LOL!!

Comment

Working...
                            X