X

A Halloween Fright!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Halloween Fright!!

I was riding into work on Friday (Halloween) when as I was in the fast lane about to move over for my exit, my 1990 Kat backfires like a piston was falling out, loses power, then fires back over, loses power, fires. It does this lone enough for me to get off my exit. As I stop, bike is running. I turn left it dies. So I pull over and park it. Check everything, no leaks, no gas smells or anything unusual. So I go to fire it up, starts right up. Idles great, I am really confused and getting scared that my 56,000 miles is finally catching up. I ride slowly the rest of the way (~3 miles) to work, no problems. Fire it up a few times in the parking garage no problems. Okay, I don't want to miss the kids and Halloween so I leave work early just in case it dies, I would have time to trailer it home if needed. 15 miles into my 30 mile commute, the bike dies on the freeway. I pull over, put into neutral and say a little prayer. You know when you are desperate it works. Bike fires right up. Okay what the hell is going on with this bike. Put it into gear and it dies.

Now the light goes off in my brain. I look done, my kickstand has vibrated to the side, just enough to make the sensor think the kickstand is down and shutting off the engine. I guess many years of cleaning and lubing the chain has caused the springs to not be as tight as they could. So I ride the next 15 miles with my leg hanging down pressing the kickstand tight to the bike. I have had a leg crap all weekend. I ordered new springs, and center bolt for the kickstand and should have it replaced this week. In the mean time, I put a little clip on the stand and it keeps the sensor engaged even if the stand move away a little.

I was so nervous, I love my Kat and didn't want to have to replace it.

Just a little reminder, check everything when you clean and check your bike. I should have noticed this sooner, but didn't think about it.

Road in today, no problems!!!

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share.

thanks for the advice, guess ill check mine while i have it in the shop putting tires on it and a few more maint. items. haha, Thanks for the heads up.
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

When you said put it into gear and it died, I guessed the stand too. Glad you figured it out, because you sure don't want to miss holloween

Comment

I hate it when that happens....It hasn't happened on my 05 Kat but I have had that same exact thing happen on another bike I used to have...only I didn't learn until I had it towed to a shop and paid the $300 for them to so called "troubleshoot" and "fix" the kickstand.

Nice catch! Saved yourself a load of money.

Comment

Happened on my Bro's '03 Bandit.... He called me up saying it wouldn't start, so I got my dad's truck and some tools...I was expecting to load it up and haul away.
          Did a quick once over and 5 minutes of WTF!!?? and realized it was the kickstand sensor...then adjust tighten, runs!!

Glad to hear it didn't cause you a more serious problem

Comment

I was scared for you through the first part or the story.
            Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

When I first got my 600 it would die when I dropped it in gear! That switch got bypassed first thing!! The last thing I need is my bike telling me that I cant put it in gear and drop it!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I had a similar thing happen to me. Bike was running fine until I signaled, so that's how I figured out the issue.

Comment

Take that sucka to 100k ya.

Comment

I have heard alot of bad things about the kick stand switch... should it be bypassed?
                    02 Kat 750F
                    68 Mercury Cat

Comment

Originally posted by clint1972 View Post
                      I have heard alot of bad things about the kick stand switch... should it be bypassed?
                      Okay I am being lazy, I did not do a search. Anyone know if there is a write-up on here on how to do that?

Comment

well as far as doing it just to do it .. not a great idea .. dont really want to get into some sharp curves and find out you got the kickstand down .. bad things can happen . thats the whole purpose of said switch
                        so many roads so little time

Comment

i've been working on my project katana and could'nt figure out why it would'nt go in gear until someone told me about the switch. when i looked for it , it was not there. someone had already bypassed it and i unknowingly took the wires apart.(these stupid wires don't need to be together!)yea right, learned my lesson.
                          Life is what happens when your making plans :mrgreen:

92 katana 600
                          98 katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by katana_ron View Post
                            Okay I am being lazy, I did not do a search. Anyone know if there is a write-up on here on how to do that?
                            Follow wire to first connector, jumper the two leads.

It isn't something I would fix until it becomes a problem.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                            X