X

What do you think it will cost....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think it will cost....

So, I just gave a local shop a list of parts that I want to get powder coated either a metallic or chrome green....

1) Rear grab bar
    2) Rear Caliper
    3) Rear footpegs (both sides)
    4) Swingarm (both sides)
    5) Heelplates (both sides)
    6) Brake lever/clutch lever
    7) Engine cover 1
    8) Gas cap
    9) Engine cover 2
    10) Bar ends
    11) Brake/Clutch lever
    12) Front Caliper
    13) Front Forks
    14) Rotor inners
    15) side kickstand
    16) clutch cover

What do you think they'll quote me. I was basing my guess off of their "caged go-kart frame" price being only $135...
    I'm guessing $300, yeah, it's a little more work, but doesn't cover near the area of a go-kart frame.

Just seeing what you think

A go kart frame would be quicker to clean up and coat then all those parts combined. It is not just 'a little more work', its a LOT more work. The engine covers alone will run $60+.

How do I know? I co-own a Powder Coating Business
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

thats gonna run you a mint! i'd say your looking at $600+

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

the place I use would probably charge around 200-250 for that. I have noticed that there is a huge gap in PC pricing. Places that target business towards motorcycling and automotive customers tend to be way overpriced. Find yourself an industrial powder coater and the prices will be WAY cheaper.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
          the place I use would probably charge around 200-250 for that. I have noticed that there is a huge gap in PC pricing. Places that target business towards motorcycling and automotive customers tend to be way overpriced. Find yourself an industrial powder coater and the prices will be WAY cheaper.
          For that price I'll ship them there

Comment

Originally posted by Theric View Post
            For that price I'll ship them there
            you're better off paying what your shop charges...trust me. Shipping those parts cross border would be quite costly. Not to mention my handling fee's

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Wow, is that price for pre-prepped parts Joe or they do it all?
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

better be ready to dig deep into the pocket for all that
                so many roads so little time

Comment

Who is doing the prep work? If looks were my thing, then I would just box everything up and send it to Sasquatch. In my little bit of experience with finish stuff, what you are paying for isn't so much materials, but labor. The powder itself isn't that expensive in comparison to how much work goes into making stuff look good in the end.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

im thinking of close to $600. thats alot of work involved. if the parts aint ready expect to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                      Wow, is that price for pre-prepped parts Joe or they do it all?
                      pre prepped. I have never brought anything to them that wasn't prepped already. Not sure if they would do it or not.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      In my little bit of experience with finish stuff, what you are paying for isn't so much materials, but labor. The powder itself isn't that expensive in comparison to how much work goes into making stuff look good in the end.
                      exactly. prep time on any refinishing work is where the cost is.
                      Last edited by chinto; 10-30-2008, 08:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

It's the labor that's gonna kill you. I'd say $500+

Comment

Do it one piece at a time instead of all together. Thats what I do Twenty bucks here, ten bucks there...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I received an email back asking if the parts would be painted or powder coated prior when they receive them, I told them I would strip them and they might just have to "clean up" the pieces a little.

With that being said, any tips for stripping the parts?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                            X