noobalicious questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noobalicious questions

Ok, so I've been riding for two weeks now. some questions:

is it better to ride in a higher gear at a lower rpm or a lower gear with mid range rpm? in terms of engine strain and longevity.

i think my chain might be a little loose, but since im new i don't know anything. how would a loose chain effect performance, would it ride any differently?

i can't see the brake fluid, but the breaks are working great... is that a problem?

the bike only has about 1200 miles, but i can't seem to find the break pad line that indicates the brakes need replacement. .whats up with that..?

thanks in advance!

edit: also, i hear some kind of very faint friction coming from the front wheel, when the bike is turned off and im moving it along in neutral. is that normal or is that an indication that the break pads are not aligned..?
    Last edited by kharma; 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM.
    joey b.

anything under 1500 rpm you are "lugging the motor" very hard on it gas motors dont like that at all. If you cant see brake fluid in the sight glass on the resivoir you risk sucking air into the lines and your brakes no longer work. Also you need to check the resivoir for the back brakes as well it is hiddin under the right side fairing. the friction you hear is normal the pads are always touching cuts your reaction time down
    Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

RPMS depends on situations. In city riding I keep them a little higher for quicker response time. Same with splitting lanes, higher RPMS. Cruising I tend to keep it around 5K.

Chain should have play, about 1/2" I believe...and keep it lubed. I lube and clean mine at least once a week.

You should have fluid, yes that a problem.

Yes that sound is normal...

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
      Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
      Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

is it better to ride in a higher gear at a lower rpm or a lower gear with mid range rpm? in terms of engine strain and longevity.

well as with any engine the more RPM means more wear... only thing is this is a sportbike engine so you will ride higher RPM than cars...

I usually try to cruise like 5k-6k You wana find that smooth spot where it dosnt buzz (its annoying not bad) riding in a higher RPM allows you to access the powerband much quicker to get you out of any sticky situations...

stopping is measured in feet, acceleration is measured in seconds....

i think my chain might be a little loose, but since im new i don't know anything. how would a loose chain effect performance, would it ride any differently?

look at your bike. Press the chain upwards with your finger. It should only move 1 inch total up and down.

i can't see the brake fluid, but the breaks are working great... is that a problem?

the rear brake resivour is above the right footpeg behind the plastic. that needs to be on F. and the front should be half way im guessing. thats where mine is.

the bike only has about 1200 miles, but i can't seem to find the break pad line that indicates the brakes need replacement. .whats up with that..?

its like a car. just wait for the squeek or brake performance loss. or you can just peek into the caliper, the pad should have some distance from the metal plate... youll know

thanks in advance!

edit: also, i hear some kind of very faint friction coming from the front wheel, when the bike is turned off and im moving it along in neutral. is that normal or is that an indication that the break pads are not aligned..?

brakes on bikes are floating. thats normal
        Last edited by IndyGunner; 10-22-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Check your manual for chain tension. I think it is closer to 1" than 1/2".

Comment

If i remember when when I had mine it was 1" to 1 1/4"

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              If i remember when when I had mine it was 1" to 1 1/4"
              I think the manual on my 97 says 1.1" which is where I keep it.
              1997 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

mines 1.5-1.6" get the Haynes it will have the spec and help you with all your new maintenance
                voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

this thread has moved here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89880

Comment

I don't live far from plano, if you ever need someone to give something a quick look just drop me a pm. I don't know a ton of the internals but I can help with some of the maintenance while you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dragoncutlery View Post
                      mines 1.5-1.6" get the Haynes it will have the spec and help you with all your new maintenance
                      I have the Haynes...and for my (2002 GSXF750) it says 20-30mm which is roughly a little more than 3/4 Inch to almost 1.25 inches.

Comment

Working...
                      X