No announcement yet.
X

How does one handle scuffing new tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one handle scuffing new tires?

We all SHOULD know that new tires come to us with a lot of manufacturing oils and residues on the surface. Because of that, we need to watch our traction requests for many miles (some say ~150) until the new tires are "scuffed-in". Here's where the problems lies....

Demanding little traction of the tires means that they will not get leaned over into aggressive turns. Not leaning the tires over means that the edges never get scuffed-in. After riding 150 meandering miles, to wear some of the skin off of our new tires, we want to hit some turns and push the traction limits. When we do so, we are venturing out onto "new tire". The edges are still untouched and can be slippery. It's ironic that if we don't push the handling limits of the tires, the traction may never be there to do so.

How do you handle tire-break-in? Do you use counter-weighting to lean the bike more agressively than is necessary? Employ manual/hand scuffing? Slowly scuff the tire edges by gradually getting deeper into turns?
    Ride like your life depends on it.

I ride like normal, just a little slower in the turns for the first while. Like you said you have to lean to wear them in properly so that's all I do.
    Kyle

Comment

Some will take some low grade sand paper and scuff the outer edges of the tire.

Comment

get on the bike
        start it
        rev it to about 4 grand drop the clutch while having the front brake engaged.
        then rock bike side to side

Comment

Comment

Get some sand paper or a scotch brite pad and scuff the tires that way. I have used both methods and it works really well. It gets the residue off the tires and lets you worry about other things like riding.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Ride carefully, gradually and slowly increasing your lean angle...

I've heard that scuffing is not the only part of breaking in new tires...
              There's something about heating the rubber so that the tire "sits" on the rim better.
              So, that being said, scuffing it without actually running the tire will not be as efficient.

Aramis

Comment

Originally posted by Aramis
                Ride carefully, gradually and slowly increasing your lean angle...
                And that's all there is to it!

Comment

Yep, just get on that sumbitch and start ridin'
                  "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Giddyupp and start riding and increasing your lean angle.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I use a wire brush, works really well.

Tokalosh

Comment

I read on another forum that wiping down a new tire with brake cleaner will get rid of the mold release.

Comment

Plus if you use sandpaper on it before you have a chance to really get on and break those tires in, you can have some interesting conversations about why you dont have any chicken strips but yet the middle of your tire looks brand new

Comment

Mine are scuffed within 20 miles usually. Start out with a slow weave and increase the lean angle progressively. Building heat in them as you weave helps, but don't ever try to drag knees after 5 minutes with a new rubber!
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                              get on the bike
                              start it
                              rev it to about 4 grand drop the clutch while having the front brake engaged.
                              then rock bike side to side
                              For once, I agree with duffy...lol. That is how I do it. I don't pull a huge smoker cuz I don't want to take a pile of life out of my tire, but I heat it up and lean it from side to side so that when I hit the road, I am not concerned about a slippery tire. From there I just gradually break it in in the corners.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X