X

Suppose you have a brand-new tire that found a nail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppose you have a brand-new tire that found a nail

Juggling the high cost of a new tire vs. the risk of riding on a plugged motorcycle tire is a tough question, but it is one of safety.

This has not happened to me, but what would you do under that circumstance?
    Replace the tire with a new one; unload the old one
    0%
    Have an internal plug installed and ride on
    0%
    Have an internal plug installed and ride with caution
    0%
    Ride like your life depends on it.

I would repair cause I'm poor, but I would so ride with apprehension it wouldn't be funny

Comment

I would replace the tire. I much rather pay $100 for a tire than be on a freeway have a blow-out, lose control and down the bike.
      Let me think - - new tire or new bike, new tire or new bike, hummm hard question, I think I'll pick the new tire.!!
      DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME!!

Comment

New tire.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocool61
          I would replace the tire. I much rather pay $100 for a tire than be on a freeway have a blow-out, lose control and down the bike.
          Let me think - - new tire or new bike, new tire or new bike, hummm hard question, I think I'll pick the new tire.!!
          very unlikely it will ever happen. At the most, it might deflate at a slow to medium rate....not a "blow out". Pieces of tire all over the road...that is a blow out. Blow-outs usually come from a tire that has been re-capped...like on a truck. Or running at low pressure and the tire heats up to extreme. Don't go by what you see on tv....Hollywood exaggerates to extreme.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

+1 mojoe, u dont see too many actual blowouts where it happens in a split second...unless ur me

Yeah,if u can afford the new tire, I'd do it and get it over with.

Comment

NEW TIRE!!!!! u only got two of them. Any one who plugs a tire on a bike and rides with it are nuts. Some shops will not plug a tire because they don't want to be responsible if something happens.
              Same goes to car tires. At the dealer I work for we will not plug a tire if :
              nail is with an 1.5 inch from the side wall
              tire has a low thread
              tire has a run-flat
              www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

No suppose to it, I got my new sportec M1 in april, and got a nail in it in may!! Definatly change the tire!!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I had a Pilot Power on my Tuono that had seen a whopping 3 weeks of pavement. It picked up a nail. Plugged it. Rode a gentle 60 miles on it (I was out of town and went riding with friends). As soon as I got home I replaced it.
                  -Steve

Comment

It happened to me last year. Brand new Bridgestone $200 600 miles.
                    It's now hanging on my garage wall plugged and patched from the inside. But I won't ride on it.
                    Bike is sold

Comment

It happened to me, too.

New tire. Don't risk it.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

speaking of which....

I was out riding the twisties up in north Wales with some friends and reaching speeds of 80-90 mph, when my friends Ninja zx10's tail got all out of shape in front of me.
                        He controlled the situation rather well and pulled over very white faced. Only to discover he had ridden over something that caused a 3 inch slash in his tyre.

Then back home I decided to check my air, only to discover a 4 inch nail logged in it. Not even the "Ultra Seal" I put in when I bought the tyre could stop it from deflating. After repairing it myself it's still holding out and that must have been two weeks ago. I can’t afford a new tyre just yet and hoping that the "ultra seal" ( http://www.ultrasealuk.biz/flashintro.html ) I put in will see me through until I can afford a new Metzler road tech Z6 tyre.

I know what you all thinking.......

But walking is out of the question.

Tokalosh

Comment

Safety first, bite the bullet and buy the new tire.
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

It depends on where it is....

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              Originally posted by zerocool61
                              very unlikely it will ever happen. At the most, it might deflate at a slow to medium rate....not a "blow out". Pieces of tire all over the road...that is a blow out. Blow-outs usually come from a tire that has been re-capped...like on a truck. Or running at low pressure and the tire heats up to extreme. Don't go by what you see on tv....Hollywood exaggerates to extreme.
                              I only said a blow out 'cause it happened to a friend of mine while he was riding his TLR. He had a nail on it, got the patch, and BOOM. The thing was actually in pieces. What I said was like a worse case situation. Even that I know that it is very very rare.
                              DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME!!

Comment

Working...
                              X