X

Cornering question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornering question

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem. When I take tight corner, I frequently end up scraping the tip of my boot on the ground. To compensate I'll drop my heels when I turn, but I've never had that problem before.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Move your foot so that the ball (or the toes) are on the peg instead of the midfoot on the peg

Comment

Cloven

This post Voluntarily deleted.
      "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

How fast are you taking said corner?

Comment

Yeah I have this problem too. And I am on the balls of my feet, and I have Raask rearsets on my Kat........Maybe I should slow down....
          1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
          2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
          Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Re: Cloven

Post voluntarily deleted.

=-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ive learned and was trained to ride w/ the ball of my foot on the peg, even on long rides it feels awkward to me to have it any other way. You'll get used it.

Comment

I've been working on putting my balls on the pegs, I actually started dropping my heels like you would riding a horse and that seems to help.

How fast are you taking said corner?
                There's one particular corner I enjoy that's on my way to work. It's a 90 degree corner, but not like an intersection, the road just curves around a little wider than normal. I usually hit that corner doing about 35 - 40 and accelerate to about 50 before I come out the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
                  There's one particular corner I enjoy that's on my way to work. It's a 90 degree corner, but not like an intersection, the road just curves around a little wider than normal. I usually hit that corner doing about 35 - 40 and accelerate to about 50 before I come out the other side.
                  Ok, if all of that is true--and don't get me wrong, 90 degree turns can be taken at 40--you should be close to scraping pegs on the Kat, as well as the centerstand.

I know this from experience. I have a downhill left 90 degree turn that at 40 meant a hard folded peg and a centerstand scrape. As far as toe scraping, I remember doing that at 15mph with my heel hooked on the peg.

If you have your TOES on the peg, which is where you need to be on the Kat for hard twisties, then you should be dragging the sliders on your boots, as well as the sliders on your knees.

Think about working on your body position. If what you say is accurate, you are at the point of kneedragging, and you should practice using the proper technique.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

It's a 90 degree turn, but it's wider than you might expect. Besides I don't have a center stand ... the guy that sold the bike to me had taken it off. I've yet to scrape the pegs but getting close (I just got a new rear tire and trying to wear off the panty lines). I've been working on keeping my ball's on the pegs. I grew up on a ranch, and have spent most of my life riding horses .... which means I'm in the habit of resting the spot just behind the balls of my feet (towards the arch) on the pegs and dropping my heels ... but that's only getting me so far.

Comment

I would say I usually keep my boots in the 'normal' position...I mean, that's why they made indents under my boot so they would rest easier with less slip...but when I turn, the toes go to the pegs...but I wouldn't keep it that way, you should be ready to shift or brake before you should hard turn imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
                        It's a 90 degree turn, but it's wider than you might expect. Besides I don't have a center stand ... the guy that sold the bike to me had taken it off. I've yet to scrape the pegs but getting close (I just got a new rear tire and trying to wear off the panty lines). I've been working on keeping my ball's on the pegs. I grew up on a ranch, and have spent most of my life riding horses .... which means I'm in the habit of resting the spot just behind the balls of my feet (towards the arch) on the pegs and dropping my heels ... but that's only getting me so far.
                        Yes...thanks.

Re-read my post, though. You need to change your riding style, and if what you say is true, you need to learn about body position because you are dragging pegs, bodywork, and knees.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Horse Bang!

Comment

I used to ride horses alot as well, and you're always taught to push down on your heels for better stability.. of course w/ bikes, its a whole nother ball game, so it'll take some time to get used to different styles of "riding"

Comment

I'll side with BISQ on this one.

Resting the arch of your foot on the pegs just sounds damn weird to me! At any rate THAT is the certain reason your toes are hitting. Let me tell you though... If you don't start getting the balls of your feet onto the pegs for aggressive riding, as you start taking corners even faster or at more angle, you'll eventually fold your foot under the bike (and that won't be a pretty sight)!
                              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                              X