another tire test

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another tire test

tim

Cool. Good link. Just wish I'd see someone do a comparo for something other than the typical superbike situation... Then again, that is the name of the magazine

PS - good to see Jonathan working again... he was one of my favorite testers at Bike [uk]...

EDIT: Actually, the test says he's 16 at the time -- so it has to be an older test, right? I think he's 19 or 20 now...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so i take it by looking at the test the Michelin Pilot power tires are pretty damn good. Is the sportec m1 similar to the Z6 ROADTEC? Cause thats what i eneded up ordering and they will be here today. I went with those due to opinions i asked for here. The guy at the dealer told me the pilot power was the best right now, but i hadnt heard anything about it. OF COURSE up until now
      " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
        so i take it by looking at the test the Michelin Pilot power tires are pretty damn good. Is the sportec m1 similar to the Z6 ROADTEC? Cause thats what i eneded up ordering and they will be here today. I went with those due to opinions i asked for here. The guy at the dealer told me the pilot power was the best right now, but i hadnt heard anything about it. OF COURSE up until now
        There is a radical difference between the Z6 and M1 tires -- the M1 are track-oriented hyper-grip tires, about 3 times grippier that the Z6's, but get about 3 to 4 times less mileage before they are toast under most conditions as a result. If you were riding a 120 HP 1k motorcycle, the M1's would be superb -- on a Kat, the Z6 sport-touring tires is the better tire for almost all uses (exception: track days and any time you are canted over past 40 - 45 degrees). Naturally, this is all just IMHO.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use the M1's and they get real stick when they get up to temperature. Yes they will not last longe enough but they will do you for the riding season.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

ARGGGG i just got my tires ..they sent me pilot power tires ????????? my reciept to my email showed metzeler and they send me these. what irony. SHould i just keep these tires ? i know its my decision, but this is my first tire change and going from the macadam to ANYTHING will be much better anywya.

I also just noticed the rear tire is 180/55/17 when i ordered 160/60/17. Is this too big for the kat ? I've heard you actually lose some agility with bigger tires..at least on the kat
            " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

ARGGGG i just got my tires ..they sent me pilot power tires ????????? my reciept to my email showed metzeler and they send me these. what irony. SHould i just keep these tires ? i know its my decision, but this is my first tire change and going from the macadam to ANYTHING will be much better anywya.

I also just noticed the rear tire is 180/55/17 when i ordered 160/60/17. Is this too big for the kat ? I've heard you actually lose some agility with bigger tires..at least on the kat
              (A) Send 'em back. Make them pay shipping to eat it, and contact your credit card company to immediately file a dispute on the charge. A 180/55 can not be mounted safely (and won't normally fit within your swingarm at all!) on your 98+ Kat.

(B) Let us all know who screwed up your order this badly.

Sorry.
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The website was www.americanmototire.com .

Im going to take the tire to my dealer and see if they'll swap me sizes.I know they have this exact model tire, but after the review i think i'll stick with this brand and save me another 3 weeks, if not longer, in waiting time.

Comment

The website was www.americanmototire.com
                  Really? Many of us (myself included) didn't have any problems with them at all...

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

um..im a dork i didnt pay attention..the tires i recieved were not pilot power..they are these.. http://americanmototire.com/index.ht...rget=d110.html Are these comparable to the Z6 at all?

Comment

um..im a dork i didnt pay attention..the tires i recieved were not pilot power..they are these.. http://americanmototire.com/index.ht...rget=d904.html Are these comparable to the Z6 at all?
                      I haven't tried the pilot roads (and probably never will on the Kat), but still, a 180/55 is definitely wrong for the Kat. Even if you stuck with the pilot roads -- my guess is that the orders for you and someone else in your zip code got swapped. Contact 1-800-949-1794 or email them at [email protected] to get the situation resolved. IMHO Metzelers or Pirelli Diablo or Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

Good Luck!
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i updated the link in previous post to what i got. i didnt notice the link go to the right tire

Comment

Still, the same advice applies.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok American tire called me today and they are shipping out the right tires 1day shipping (AZ to CA)and sending a return tag for the other set at their expense. So im definately happy. Now i will be able to ride this weekend AFTER 1 month..ARRRGGG

Comment

I ordered from them a couple months back . I liked them well enough . Now after hearing your story , I'll make sure I order from them AGAIN when need be !
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X