X

Riding in the rain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in the rain

It happens to everybody, especially in the south with the hot, humid summer days. We're out riding on a sunny day, and out of nowhere a rain cloud forms and dumps a ton of water on you.

They say that the first 15 minutes are the most dangerous with all the oils, dirt and other debris washing off the road. I'm also told that you can ride pretty much normal (within reason) in the rain, provided all your movements are smooth.

Is there anything else to watch out for? So far I've done okay when I've been caught in the rain, but I'm always leary of it...
    Keep the rubber side down!

Manhole covers and painted lines like the double yellow or crosswalk markings are very slippery.
    Kyle

Comment

quick thoughts:

hope for no necessary emergency manuvers
      drop speed to speed limit or maybe 10mph under
      get in tune with the feel of the bike in case of hydroplaning/skidding.

try to get to cover asap and wait it out

almost nothing worse than riding drenched, puts the chill in ya quick.

make sure you have reflectives on, cagers visibility of you will drop fast, and they probably would not be expecting bikes on the road in the rain.

Comment

Re: Riding in the rain

Originally posted by JDS
        It happens to everybody, especially in the south with the hot, humid summer days. We're out riding on a sunny day, and out of nowhere a rain cloud forms and dumps a ton of water on you.

well (in the south) it happens every day at about the same time.

tim

Comment

I try to also ride about a gear above what I normally would ride at, to make sure I dont deliver too much power to the back wheel
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Same here, I pulled out of a parking lot when It was raining and gave it a little to much gas. Almost swung around and threw me off. The rear tire breaks loose much easier when the road it wet.

Comment

I have a rain cover for when I hit the rain. It attaches to the front fairing/rear grab bars and has a plastic window for the headlight and I am completely enclosed from the knees up. there is a hole to stick your head out and a hood to go over the helmet.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe that sounds pretty cool. Does it work good? When I get back home to washington I might need something like that. but how bout a pic Ive never seen a street kayak lol.

Comment

Down in florida it rains almost everyday in the summer. CP and i ride alot in the rain. I have a full rain suit under the seat that i will pull out if its getting close. do not tail gate make slow smooth turns and stay off the throttle. put rainex on the helmet it helps clear when moving faster than 35. mainly be patient. Biggest pain is cleaning the bike afterward.

joe
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoNViCT
                    Mojoe that sounds pretty cool. Does it work good? When I get back home to washington I might need something like that. but how bout a pic Ive never seen a street kayak lol.
                    hehe....I was just kidding around, CoNViCT. I wasn't expecting someone to say it was cool....I was expecting more like, "wtf are you talking about". But your interest has made me wonder if I should not design on and run out and patent it.

Comment

Mojoe I was just trying to envision that at speed. Thinking about how you see those guys wearing t-shirts blown up to their shoulders. You would look like a big ballon once the air gets under there.
                      92 Katana 600 Project bike
                      Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        Originally posted by CoNViCT
                        hehe....I was just kidding around, CoNViCT. I wasn't expecting someone to say it was cool....I was expecting more like, "wtf are you talking about". But your interest has made me wonder if I should not design on and run out and patent it.
                        You dont normally ride like a bat outta hell in the rain anyways, so if you can design it so it attaches securely, why not!! I'd buy it!

Comment

And remember - water puddles cover up pot holes... big ones.
                          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                            And remember - water puddles cover up pot holes... big ones.
                            for sure...and even if there is no pothole, the puddle can be pretty deep. I hit a big one at night and it scared the living crap outta me. I am sure it cut my speed intantly by 30% and my back tire started to hydroplane off to the side. When I exited it and hit the pavement again, it gave the bike a snap and straightened out, but it was pretty tense. It was one of those moments where all you can do is go, "whew"!

Comment

And clean the crap outa your pants.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X