X

There goes the clean record.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There goes the clean record.

Okay so after 5 years of spotless riding I finally got a speeding ticket and what sucks is that I was doing only 15 miles above speed limit .

Few questions:

The ticket does not have a fine amount on it? Is that normal.

The ticket chows a court appearance date and address whete I have to go. Do I have to go to the court? If I dont what recourse I have? Why wasnt I charged the fine up front? Like it happens when yure in a cage. For the record I was doing 75 in a 60 zone. Also the date is like for a month and half from now.

Lastly does this go on my cager record or does the motorcycle tickets stay seperate from the car record (guess what I mean is that will this ticket affect my car insurance....)

Any infor appreciated.

If you do not show a ticket amount, you will most likely have to go to court and the judge will assign the fine amount. Depending on what state you are in, the officer may have had to assign a court appearance in lieu of a just a setting ticket fine amount. Also, yes, your ticket will reflect on your license no matter what vehicle you are driving, your license has motorcycle endorsement, not a seperate license itself. Sorry to hear about your ticket.
    2000 Kat 600
    "Fast Blue"
    Pic in Profile

Comment

Kulbiker -

Yep, it's normal for the fine amount to not be written on the citation, as the total fine amount is usually based upon a certain dollar amount for each mile above the limit. Contact the pertinent court for info.

No, you usually can handle a ticket through the mail without appearing in person. Just make sure you handle it before the appearance date. Again, contact the court for any other info. There should be a phone number or address somewhere on the citation.

Some jurisdictions allow the ticket to be dismissed from your driving record with a fine payment, a plea of no contest or guilty and the attendence of a safety class or "defensive driving" class. An attorney can advise of the ramifications of doing so, as well as what happens if you plead "Not Guilty" and decide to go to trial.

Depending on the court's regs, the officer may have given you a court date well in advance so that you can have a little time to decide what to do with the ticket. Just don't take too long... AND DON'T IGNORE IT. That could end up in other charges / warrants / fines and fees tacked on.

A moving violation is a moving violation, regardless of whether it occurred in a cage or on a bike. Contact your insurance agent for whether it affects only your bike insurance rates or both bike and cage.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
      2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

I would blame Need4Speed for the ticket because of his "when was your last ticket Poll"!!!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

uuhh,,uumm,,hhmm.. woops!

Comment

I have probably gotten 30-40 tickets since I have been driving (24 years). None have ever made my insurance rates go up. I have been with the same broker for about 15 years. Never a mention of my tickets. I am not a good guy to give advice for tickets. Sometimes they just tick me off so much I get this idea in my head I am not going to pay it. But I usually change my tune when I get a notice it has an extra $200 tacked on for failure to pay....or they suspend my license.....or the bailiff shows up with a court order saying I have 10 days to pay or they seize and auction off my vehicle. I know someone that happened to....they actually towed his car away from work for a bit over $2000 in tickets. He had to bid on it at the auction to get it back. It was worth maybe $12-13k....cost him $7k and change. So be careful for that...lol.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

It all depends on the juridiction.
              In Florida, the fine is listed on the envelope that the ticket came with, if you want to automatically plead guilty and simply mail in the ticket with payment (or with a request for extension of payment).

Personally, I call the lawyer...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you can opt for driving school. Do it online. Its SUPER EASY to cheat. Yes cheating gets you no where but come on...u dont need 8hours of school to tell you not to speed DUH!!
                " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Okay so here it is:
                  I am not going to contest....i was speeding and she caught me fair and square. I respect that part of a cops job....just that I dont have the friggin time to go to the stupid court and do all the stuff.....!

Can I talk to the court and they will tell me the fine on the fone and I can send the payment directly by mail?

second I dont have a lawyer (at least dont know one yet)....is there any particular one or can yu just walk into the nearest office and ask for what to do....are there lawyers fee involved.....do not beat me up if these quetions sound stupid....I am new to this town also.

I never knew tickets can be such a headache......in the last town I lived I got two ticket for speeding in the cage and they had the fine written up front and I just send the payment by mail end of story....is it because it is a big city or just that they have different rules in different places?

THANKS A TON FOR THE REPLIES GUYS>.....lov this place!

Comment

Originally posted by kulbiker
                    Okay so here it is:
                    I am not going to contest....i was speeding and she caught me fair and square. I respect that part of a cops job....just that I dont have the friggin time to go to the stupid court and do all the stuff.....!

Can I talk to the court and they will tell me the fine on the fone and I can send the payment directly by mail?
                    Unless someone has a clue what jurisdiction you're in, we can't tell you. Call the court and ask them.

second I dont have a lawyer (at least dont know one yet)....is there any particular one or can yu just walk into the nearest office and ask for what to do....are there lawyers fee involved.....do not beat me up if these quetions sound stupid....I am new to this town also.
                    Most areas have a single lawyer that specializes in speeding tickets -- but he may be hard to find. Call around the bike shops and ask other bikers what they do.

I never knew tickets can be such a headache......in the last town I lived I got two ticket for speeding in the cage and they had the fine written up front and I just send the payment by mail end of story....is it because it is a big city or just that they have different rules in different places?
                    As I said before, it varies by jurisdiction.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well , I had one where the fine wasn't written , but there was some sort of scale on the back . I called the courthouse and they told me what I owed . Another one I had had "court" checked , no fine amount . I called , and I HAD to appear . 100 miles away . THAT was a wasted day . Call 'em .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

never JUST pay a ticket. Even if it costs you an extra 100 bucks for the lawyer, it helps not having anything on your driving record. An important point to remember is that when a police officer pulling you over sees you have a clean record, they are much more likely to let you off with a warning.

Second, most insurance companies only check your driving record when you first join. So the rates will go up when you switch insurance compainies, or add another vehicle.

DONT just pay it.

Comment

Working...
                        X