X

Biker Wave

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biker Wave

I really don't know about anywhere else, but here in Phoenix there's a "biker wave" that consists of sticking your hand at a 45 degree angle downward (as if doing a hand signal for left turn) and opening the hand. Is this a global thing??
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Here it seems to be done with 2 fingers rather than the whole open hand.
    "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

I just knda do the peace sign thing.... or the A-Hole sign. Depends on my mood
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

That's pretty much how we do it here in FL. Either 2 finger down or the upside down hand open deal. It may very a bit person to person though.
        92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

There's no set way to officially do it.. but normally sportbikers will put their hand down and give the peace sign or just a flat palm for a second.. Harleys will normally put it more straight out, and then give you the finger!

Comment

First wave......then if they don't wave back...

Comment

I don't wave to Harley's ... they don't like me
              Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

I wave to everybody.....twice to those who don't wave back! (they HATE that....)

Comment

I'll wave to most bikers, but alot of times H.D. riders don't wave back :flipping:
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I wave to all bikers. Hand out with the 2 finger thing. Most wave back or even wave first.

Comment

I've somethimes thought about that wave. The arm out at 45 degrees, two fingers extended usually in the sideways "peace" sign from the 1960's.

What does it say to you? To me its says everything is cool, I (the waver) am cool, I am relaxed, I am going "with the flow."

I never have that emotion. I never feel that way about myself. I couldn't give that wave. Sort of like a white college educated young man being overly caught up in rap music. That music with all its anger and hatred against mainstream society. It doesn't make sense for a person who wants to participate and lead in the mainstream to have a permanent conflict with it. It would be out of character for middleclass people to be too deeply into rap beyond a certain age.

The wave tells me the guy is self satisfied even though he is quite mature and has probably accomplished little in his life. Anyone who continuely faces up to challenges in life and struggles to overcome them, and strives to achieve more than he has in the past will never give you a "cool" wave.

The raised sideways held hand (sideways to minimize wind resistance), with fingers pointed upward, lifted a litte from the handlebar in the beginning stage of a military salute is the only wave I can give.

I have more than a little preconceived notions about the "wave", and I'll probably learn that many people who I respect give the wave all the time.

As for Harley riders, remember that they don't run Offenhauser engines at Indy anymore. Harley is on the wrong side on demographics.

Comment

I've seen a few different ones , from just turning one hand upside-down on the bar , to a lull-on hand up wave , to the down-low peace sign (kind what I do) . It's all the same thing .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Corey and I got the A-Hole sign a few weeks ago from some guy on a custom.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Waving doesn't work down here. We ride on the other side of the road, so when we pass we'd either have to wave with the throttle hand (which could give interesting results) or wave manically with the left hand so that the other rider could see it.

We just nod instead. Much easier.

Nodding can even been done in the twisty bits, but normally people don't nod/wave to each other during twisty bits.
                            fulcrum (aka David)
                            Blue 2004 GSX750F
                            Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                            If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

I rode down to the river today and a guy was loading up his wave runner onto the trailer, and he gave me the peace sign. So as long as you're not on 4 wheels, waving can come from anywhere

Comment

Working...
                              X