Biker Wave

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biker Wave

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
    I really don't know about anywhere else, but here in Phoenix there's a "biker wave" that consists of sticking your hand at a 45 degree angle downward (as if doing a hand signal for left turn) and opening the hand. Is this a global thing??

same here in Co most bikers use it even the HD'ers
    William the Wild1
    Red 1992 1100 only dumped once by a little old lady, in 7K miles

Comment

just show 2 fingers for a victoy! 8)
      West of Germany
      greetz Carsten

Comment

Here in MA it seems people are pretty cool, I get about a 70% wave return (100% of that on those non-HD bikes, and occasionally a scooter too.). Of those that dont, it is usually HD's, solo, with ape hangers.....what's up with that anyways? Do they really think they are better? Or are they afraid they may lose control of the bike if they remove one hand for a sec? In their defense, when they are in a group they are much more willing to show the "wave". Although I should make more note of how many fingers are actually out.

Comment

The majority of riders wave around here - arm down with either the palm open or two fingers out. Sometimes the HD riders will snub you, but more are friendly than not. I try to always wave!
          ~ Lisa
          2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
          2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Yeah we wave down here in SoCal. I give the hang loose sign or the peace sign. If I am railed over in a corner on Palomar, you get the pinky wave if anything.
            1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
            2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
            Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

I wave to the geeks on the scooters...
              It freaks them out

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                I've somethimes thought about that wave. The arm out at 45 degrees, two fingers extended usually in the sideways "peace" sign from the 1960's.

What does it say to you? To me its says everything is cool, I (the waver) am cool, I am relaxed, I am going "with the flow."

I never have that emotion. I never feel that way about myself. I couldn't give that wave. Sort of like a white college educated young man being overly caught up in rap music. That music with all its anger and hatred against mainstream society. It doesn't make sense for a person who wants to participate and lead in the mainstream to have a permanent conflict with it. It would be out of character for middleclass people to be too deeply into rap beyond a certain age.

The wave tells me the guy is self satisfied even though he is quite mature and has probably accomplished little in his life. Anyone who continuely faces up to challenges in life and struggles to overcome them, and strives to achieve more than he has in the past will never give you a "cool" wave.

The raised sideways held hand (sideways to minimize wind resistance), with fingers pointed upward, lifted a litte from the handlebar in the beginning stage of a military salute is the only wave I can give.

I have more than a little preconceived notions about the "wave", and I'll probably learn that many people who I respect give the wave all the time.

As for Harley riders, remember that they don't run Offenhauser engines at Indy anymore. Harley is on the wrong side on demographics.

motorcycling is not transportation in the physical sense to me. it is the thrill of pushing myself or riding 'the pace' taking in the environment. even in a group ride i like the fact that it is really just me, my bike and the road i'm on - sharing the stories at break time - learning from others and helping those who you can. even wrenching on my bike in the garage puts a smile on my face. this is why i ride - i wave in recognition to others that we share a common passion, it is just the 'hello' i would say if we weren't riding.

tim

Comment

I regret writing all that about the wave. I am really not that pre-judgemental about people I don't know. After all, its just a wave.

I've seen one other sportbike rider on the road so far this year. Mostly I see Harley riders, so maybe I overly associate the wave with them.

But I certainly had no basis in concluding that anyone who gives the wave has probably accomplished little in life. Oncoming bikes are going so fast that I really haven't had time to study the wave. Just because I don't feel comfortable giving it doesn't mean I should have a disfavorable opinion of those who do.

The wave that I see most often is the left arm held at maybe 22 degrees up from straight down. The arm seems to be alongside or behind the rider. How does it get there? If the rider had both hands on the grips, it takes more effort to let the wind drag that arm back, and then bring the arm forward against the wind back onto the grip.

It seems the easier way is to just lift your fingers upward while keeping your palm and wrist close to the grip. Mine is the lazyman's way, I guess.

Finding just one Katrider who gives the wave means I've found one person that I respect who gives the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by scrape
                    Of those that dont, it is usually HD's, solo, with ape hangers.....what's up with that anyways? Do they really think they are better? Or are they afraid they may lose control of the bike if they remove one hand for a sec?
                    Yep, they're afraid they'll vibrate right off the bike if they let go :P I always wave to sportbike riders...if I see a cruiser I'll watch them and if they wave first I'll wave back, if they don't they're probably a Harley rider.
                    --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
                    --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

My unique wave

I hate when people dont wave back, so I came up with my own special little wave that really makes them notice me- I yank up my shirt, and pinch and pull my left nipple while I lick the palm of my glove. Makes for the most unique looking "hello" in the valley!

Comment

I 2 finger low wave, and usually get wave back. I don't wave at intersections or on turns.

Comment

Two fingers dropped just below the handle bar is it for me. I've had all kinds of riders wave and not wave. The first wave I ever got was from a Harley rider. Sometimes I'll give/get a nod if the left hand is busy (turns/instersections) and sometimes I've missed a wave - like I notice them waving as they pass in which case it's too late to wave back for them to see.

Hell, I've even given the 'wave' to those little scooter things. They NEVER wave back...probably just wondering what the hell I'm doing
                          '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
                          PurpleonBlack

Comment

I just lower my hand and use two fingers. Most riders wave back, but some won't - those are not any particular type of rider either.
                            Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

harrye wrote;
                              I've somethimes thought about that wave. The arm out at 45 degrees, two fingers extended usually in the sideways "peace" sign from the 1960's.

What does it say to you? To me its says everything is cool, I (the waver) am cool, I am relaxed, I am going "with the flow."

I never have that emotion. I never feel that way about myself. I couldn't give that wave. Sort of like a white college educated young man being overly caught up in rap music. That music with all its anger and hatred against mainstream society. It doesn't make sense for a person who wants to participate and lead in the mainstream to have a permanent conflict with it. It would be out of character for middleclass people to be too deeply into rap beyond a certain age.

The wave tells me the guy is self satisfied even though he is quite mature and has probably accomplished little in his life. Anyone who continuely faces up to challenges in life and struggles to overcome them, and strives to achieve more than he has in the past will never give you a "cool" wave.

The raised sideways held hand (sideways to minimize wind resistance), with fingers pointed upward, lifted a litte from the handlebar in the beginning stage of a military salute is the only wave I can give.

I have more than a little preconceived notions about the "wave", and I'll probably learn that many people who I respect give the wave all the time.

As for Harley riders, remember that they don't run Offenhauser engines at Indy anymore. Harley is on the wrong side on demographics.
                              You just answered this question without even knowing it.

If I met you on your bike, and I knew that these were your feelings regarding fellow bike enthusiasts, then likely I'd just ride by you without any acknowledgment. However, because I wouldn't know your true feelings, I'd likely give you the 'ole, "2 down at 45".

Do you get it? It's about fellowship and comradery.

That's kinda why KR is so successful. It's just an extension of "The Wave".

Thanks Ringo
                              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

That's kinda why KR is so successful. It's just an extension of "The Wave".
                                That's AWESOME!!
                                Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X