Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Toy of the week: GSX750F headers - JetCoated :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy of the week: GSX750F headers - JetCoated :)

Just got these back 750 headers back from JetCoating...

I'll install them sometime this coming week and get the carbs tuned on a dyno/gas-analyzer set-up.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Gee to you get a cute girl with every order???
    Sign me up!

Or is that really you?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Gee to you get a cute girl with every order???
      Sign me up!

Or is that really you?!?!?!
      That's my long-term gf... I guess 13 years qualifies as long term

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yes, yes it does...
        (thats longer than I've been married...)

Comment

what exactly is jet coating? is it like ceramic or something? Once my oven is done (doing the wiring now), I am going to attempt ceramic coating on my headers. May I ask what that cost you to have done? I would like to know for reference as to what the going rates are.

btw...it looks good....the header I mean. I have nothing to say about your gf because I am not in a habit of making any comments to a man about his woman. I find it distasteful to do so....but if I was sure you would not come back to read this post, I might mutter something to the other guys like, "wtf is she doing with him?". j/k
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Congrats man. All looks good. Question: What years 750 headers would fit my 05 600?
            > Vince <

05 Katana 600
            97 Mustang GT
            95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              what exactly is jet coating? is it like ceramic or something?
              It's an aluminum+ceramic coating (JetCoat is just a brand name that's commonly known -- I didn't really get "JetCoat" brand), with the heat resistance provided by a high ceramic content and the strength/coloration provided by the aluminum content.

Advantages: permanent coating (should never need repainting). Low heat transmission increases exhaust output speeds in theory, lets engine run cooler. Keeps the headers from rusting (obviously any pre-existing rust/paint/etc must be sandblasted off before application).
              Disadvantages: not as durable against contact abrasion as chrome/steel/nickle plate coatings.
              this normally requires an extreme high-heat oven to bake on (depending on compound, 1000 to 2000 degrees is common set temp), meaning most home kits can't do it... I know mine was set around 1480 degrees.

Once my oven is done (doing the wiring now), I am going to attempt ceramic coating on my headers. May I ask what that cost you to have done? I would like to know for reference as to what the going rates are.
              $175 in silver, $150 in black, including sand-blasting/prep, etc. He noted that with the 4-into-1 collector, they tend to have issues getting even coverage between the pipes and my powdercoater was happy once I told him that he could readily overspray the collector joints since they aren't visible and it would just provide better coverage for me He also noted that the permanent flanges (whatever you want to call the rings that bolt the header down to the block) tended to be an issue because during spraying they wanted to move about, knocking down the coating before it could set.

btw...it looks good....the header I mean. I have nothing to say about your gf because I am not in a habit of making any comments to a man about his woman. I find it distasteful to do so....but if I was sure you would not come back to read this post, I might mutter something to the other guys like, "wtf is she doing with him?". j/k
              Obviously she sees something in me you can't
              After all, the real world experience is radically different than an online presence

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by vdaily89
                Congrats man. All looks good. Question: What years 750 headers would fit my 05 600?
                98 - 05 Kat 750 headers will bolt right on, but you will normally have to get your carbs adjusted/tuned afterwards, because the 750 headers have a 23% larger diameter opening, thus significantly more flow, and cause the fuel-air mix to go leaner than desirable (esp. given the stock bike already ships lean).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

For a second there I thought you got a girl jetcoated

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                    For a second there I thought you got a girl jetcoated
                    You mean like this:

Caution: not work/child safe (nipples exposed)

=-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Holy NWS!

Comment

this normally requires an extreme high-heat oven to bake on (depending on compound, 1000 to 2000 degrees is common set temp), meaning most home kits can't do it... I know mine was set around 1480 degrees.
                        My oven is running 6 3000 watt elements in 74 cubic feet. I should have no problem reaching 750 degrees. At least I better. It is kind of a pita to wire up cuz when running at full throttle to preheat, I will drawing 82 amps. Most powder coating only need between 300 and 425 degrees, so I am fine for that.
                        There is a ceramic coating here http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/ceramics.html
                        that can be done in my oven. 500 degrees is minumum though. The final curing will happen when it is in use. The heat of the exhaust will finalize it.
                        It is a bit more expensive than what you paid just to buy the stuff, but it is sold by the quart, which can do maybe 3-4 exhaust systems if you are experienced enough not to waste when spraying. Maybe even 5 or 6.

This is the chrome look:

[img][/img]

These are other colors available.

[img][/img]
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          98 - 05 Kat 750 headers will bolt right on, but you will normally have to get your carbs adjusted/tuned afterwards, because the 750 headers have a 23% larger diameter opening, thus significantly more flow, and cause the fuel-air mix to go leaner than desirable (esp. given the stock bike already ships lean).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Thanks again. Would a stage 1 jet kit take care of the carbs, or does it need to be actually tuned?
                          > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                          97 Mustang GT
                          95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

These are other colors available.

I wanted color (Blue or Red to be specific), but my guy only offers the extreme-high-temp stuff in two basic choices (black, and silver -- as you can tell from the pic I got silver), which is what he has available in the 1400 degree duty heat range... (Note the post-cure polishing requirement -- do you have a vibratory tumbler or other applicable method available?).

Even the eastwood color stuff you were pointing at (Cerakote Exotic Color coatings) are only intended for medium-high heat duty applications, such as intake manifolds, automotive brake calipers -- for that, the place I use has a wide variety of colors.

Meanwhile, I think it would be cool if you started your own coating operation for part time $$ and amusement

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks again. Would a stage 1 jet kit take care of the carbs, or does it need to be actually tuned?
                              Because of the non-standard results (i.e. - you're not working with a "known" combination of intake & exhaust, unlike the stock config), it would have to be actually tuned for best results -- figure if I could get away without doing it, I would... Use of a stage 1 jet kit is advised because of the range of tuning that can be done with the stock kit is limited. In theory, once I get mine tuned, I should be able to just turn over the settings and you could configure yours the same way -- but the reality is that I will have ground out the weld seams on the header and that will result in a somewhat unique configuration unless you grind yours out very similiarly and use exactly the same brand of jetkit I use (Ivan's Performance Products).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X