X

Tinted visors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinted visors

So, I made a no no and cleaned my tinted visor with soap from a gas station that took the tint off (only a few months old). Is this common? What is the proper chemicals to use on the visors?

Or, is the product just crappy?

Just curious,
    Rob

Hmmmm....If you need to use soap, I think dish soap is gentle enough.

Personally, I use the stuff that people use to clean their glasses with (do you guys know what I'm talking about?). I wear contacts and obviously have backup glasses so I get it for free from my optometrist...they just wonder why I need so much

Comment

Depends on the brand and how's it's put on there. I have a Nolan visor with irridium tint that takes serious effort to scratch (i.e. - stones, etc) -- it doesn't care about windex, dish detergent, etc. The tint is applied as a metallic microscopic mist vaporized in a vacuum at high temp onto the plastic...
      But a lot of brands have much thinner or less effective mating techniques, such as film-based or spray-based coatings.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a tinted visor (Vega Altura), and I have put two little scratches on it in the past two months. I bought a glass rag (kind of like a really fine microfiber rag), and some automotive glass cleaner (I think ArmorAll makes it)...and seems to work really well for me. But, it scratched after nailing a june bug, and walking in the door one day grazed it
        2002 R1
        Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I use Uvex plastic safety glasses cleaner and optical wipes or ragged out 100% cotton t-shirts. Cotton won't scratch the plastic. Never use paper towels!

Comment

I think djhowie had a similar problem with his mirror'd visor as well.

+1 on the paper towel thing, expecially the cheap ones, Ouch!!!

Comment

On the subject of visors, one of my buddies is in the detailing business. He does striping, window tint, compounding...etc, etc. He told me he uses windo tint. You can get it in blue, smoke, red, yellow...etc, etc. He just applies it to his visor, and when it gets scratched he peels it off and redoes it. He claims his visor pretty much last forever cuz the tint protects it. It is like new when he peels it off. I think I am going to try it myself.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                On the subject of visors, one of my buddies is in the detailing business. He does striping, window tint, compounding...etc, etc. He told me he uses windo tint. You can get it in blue, smoke, red, yellow...etc, etc. He just applies it to his visor, and when it gets scratched he peels it off and redoes it. He claims his visor pretty much last forever cuz the tint protects it. It is like new when he peels it off. I think I am going to try it myself.
                Now thats a good idea. I'm gonna try that. Looks like I'll be going to Autozone to see what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  When you try this could you keep us posted on your results??
                  Thanks.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I use shoei tinted-smoked visor. There is no tint on it, the glass it's self is dark so I clean it just like me clear visor- paper towel & glass cleaner or some miled soap & water
                    www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

I've have my green iridium visor on my cl-14 for almost a year now. It has a few scratches, but not a single one from cleaning. I just use water and a rag, sometimes a drop of dish soap. Get the whole visor wet and let those bugs soak up the water and get all juicy, then gently wipe it all off. Once all that dirt/bugs is soggy, it should just wipe off without scratching.
                      '01 TL1000R

Comment

I keep a pack of Windex wipes in my tank bag when out on rides. Works great!

I use to just use the window squeegee at teh gas station, but I used one in TN somewhere that was full of sand or something and ruined a visor.
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Baby Wipes!!!!!!!

As for the window tint trick, I was under the impression that it would not adhere to plastic. Never understood why, that's just what I was told.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I wish I could ride w/ a smoke visor.. but riding so much at night, its not worth the hassle, even though its not hard, to swap out visors every time I leave work when its dark or dusk.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                              I wish I could ride w/ a smoke visor.. but riding so much at night, its not worth the hassle, even though its not hard, to swap out visors every time I leave work when its dark or dusk.
                              Have you thought about a pinned visor? They take inserts that simply snap into place on the inside of the visor to provide the tint... I know the stock visors for some brands take them (my Nolan for example).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X