X

Frame Sliders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Sliders

Do you have 'em? If you do, where are they (on the bike) and how hard were they to put on?

Thanks!
    Nobody looks back on his or her life and wishes they had spent more time at work.

I put a set on the bike and I had to drill the frame.

The damage on the bike was already there when I bought the bike.
    DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME!!

Comment

I did mine over the winter. I used Vortex sliders for a Honda F4i. Here is the thread http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...737&highlight=

Comment

There's been debates on drilling into the frame and if it compromises the integrity of the frame. Some say yes, some say no. You can make a bracket that attaches to the frame and put the sliders on that way.

That being said, I know sliders have saved many bikes here on KR.

Comment

I thought there was a company that was looking to make a bracket for sliders to fit on the 98+ kats without a need for drilling. That was a while ago though, and still haven't heard anything.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

We cut the frame and installed Yami YZF (5") frames sliders on mine. We cut the front with a hole saw then drilled a hole in the back just big enough for the bolt to go through. We inserted a steel sleeve through the front hole and then bolted the sliders in place through it. The theory - you can really tighten the bolt down and not compress the frame. I decided it was worth the risk to save some paint. I chose the long one so that it will hopefully protect my turnsignal as well. They could turn out to be the best $36.00 investment I've ever made. ???
            Attached Files
            ~ Lisa
            2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
            2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Yeh Medieval that guy has been here, But I don't think he sold too many of his sliders though..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I am thinking that if you could make a bracket that would bolt around your frame that you woukdn't need to cut drill or weld anything. But that is just my thought..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
                  Yeh Medieval that guy has been here, But I don't think he sold too many of his sliders though..

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10669

Most people just make the bracket themselves or just drill and save themselves the extra cash.

Comment

i see NO difference between building a bracket & drilling into the frame.
                    the problem is if you drop the bike the FRAME MAY GET BENT. on most modern bikes the frame 'savers' are mounted to the motor and are to save the frame.

i just drilled the frame.

tim

Comment

dito, I drilled the frame, welded a nut and didn't tap the tubing so that the slider will tear away when the nut is forced from the frame. Hope I never get to test it!

Comment

masrapido made a bracket for his sliders. BearKat can attest to the advantages of having frame sliders. I drilled and mounted sliders on his bike and when he had a boo-boo, the plastic didn't have damage and only thing broken was the tang off the front brake lever (which we fixed with a pretty pink hair tie!!!!).
                        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                        MSF Rider Coach 27028
                        MoPowerSports.com
                        Torco
                        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I've watched this debate rage back and forth for years. SpecialK who has torn apart more wrecked Kats than most of you have probably seen in your life has always had the final word in my book: Kats that have frame sliders and go down at significant speed (30+ mph?) end up having the slider be an external force on the frame causing it to twist and rendering it trash. In the same type of wrecks, those without frame sliders end up having the fairing grind away, but in the process, the frame goes undamaged.

If you are going to use frame sliders as drill-thru or even bracket-solutions, do yourself a favor and find the weakest bolt that you can (one with a particularly weak shear value). This way, if the bike falls in a parking lot, it will hold, but if it goes down at speed, the slider will simply shear away (hopefully before the frame twists)... or go the other route and reinforce that frame member.

Personally, I just go in the habit of not wrecking

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Check out www.TOPENDZ.com They have sliders designed for Katana, they aren't cheap, but u don't have to drill.
                            www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

The original manufacturers for those are:
                              Online store for frame sliders, crash protectors and all sportsbike crash protection. R&G Racing are Design leaders in the manufacture of performance motorcycle parts, crash protectors, frame sliders, exhaust protectors, and fork protectors.

Naturally, I've sent them an email to see if what kind of deal I can get for everyone as an authorized dealer... but I'm not sure that these would be any less likely to damage the frame than other bolt-over sliders.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X