X

click/pop/thump sound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• click/pop/thump sound

hey pepople..i need a problem diagnosis...as you know someone backed into my bike...this has nothing to do with that..happened before i was hit.

whenever i launch the bike, there is like a single pop/click sound..noo matter how slowly i ease out the clutch. hard to describe how it sounds really.....it doesnt come from the front...its most like under me or rearward. its a very predominant thump as i can feel it as well. it sounds like it comes from the left(shifting side)..im about 97-98% sure that it has nothing to do with engine. i also sometimes hear it at low speeds when i am going very slow and in 2nd gear only(when i am at a lower rpm in 2nd than i should be..maybe 2-3k) it will thump and thump but the thumping goes faster and faster..not matching the engine speed..sort of matching the wheel speed...like a rock caught in the tire or something... which leads me to beleive it has nothing to do with the engine. any i deas? i tried to be as descriptive as possible.

Chain taking up the slack and/or slapping the swing arm.

Check the chain slack & tension.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Check your cush-drive. It may be worn out. Easy to do, just rotate the sprocket fore and aft to check for play. Any more than about an eighth to quarter inch of play could mean it's time to replace the rubber "cushies". Cheap and easy. Hope you find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet_Hair View Post
        Check your cush-drive. It may be worn out. Easy to do, just rotate the sprocket fore and aft to check for play. Any more than about an eighth to quarter inch of play could mean it's time to replace the rubber "cushies". Cheap and easy. Hope you find it.
        +1

had that happen on the busa last year. Cost of parts was about $65. At first I thought it was the chain bouncing off the swingarm.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Newb Question

What and where is the cush-drive? I am having similar sounds, like clunking when under driver power, I especially hear it it the lower gears. I can feel it in my left foot as well. I know I am due a chain and sprockets change this winter.

Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scottysags View Post
            What and where is the cush-drive? I am having similar sounds, like clunking when under driver power, I especially hear it it the lower gears. I can feel it in my left foot as well. I know I am due a chain and sprockets change this winter.

Thanks

the rubber bushings you see in the wheel are what could be worn.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I replace my cush drive pads every time I change sprockets. Figure since they're rubber, they're actually more of a time-driven item than a mileage-driven item, typically good for about five years before the rubber is simply too hard & worn to work well (smearing them up with red-rubber grease at time of install will increase that time-frame).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X