X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
    $2400 for registration?!? Jesus! Is that per year?? $109 here.
    Yes that's per year. Just to license it from May 16 to June 16 was $215.... Which is all I did for now because I'll be working like crazy from the middle of June until September.

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
    Wow, that's crazy. I got my Katana because it costs me nearly nothing at all to keep. It was $1 to buy, registration is $42 a year, and insurance is $150 a year. I spend more than that on maintaining it each year.
    Yup... Wish I could pay that little for my Kat to be ridden. It's just not the case in Saskatchewan.

Provincial Government controls everything here, so prices have risen from $1400 per year in 2011 (when I purchased my Kat) to $2400 this year.

They're projected to go up another 10% in the coming year, so I think it's time to sell it and forget about newer sports bikes. Sad to say, but it's true.

What do you guys think? 1989 1100 GSXR?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
      Yes that's per year. Just to license it from May 16 to June 16 was $215.... Which is all I did for now because I'll be working like crazy from the middle of June until September.

Yup... Wish I could pay that little for my Kat to be ridden. It's just not the case in Saskatchewan.

Provincial Government controls everything here, so prices have risen from $1400 per year in 2011 (when I purchased my Kat) to $2400 this year.

They're projected to go up another 10% in the coming year, so I think it's time to sell it and forget about newer sports bikes. Sad to say, but it's true.

What do you guys think? 1989 1100 GSXR?
      this is sad how can they charge you that much. just plain robbery.

Comment

• Put my Kat up for sale yesterday boys.

If she goes, she goes. Not going to hang on to it for another 20 years to get antique plates at a reasonable price of $133 a year.... $2400 a year is just too much for me!
        - Aaron

Comment

Put my Kat up for sale yesterday boys.

If she goes, she goes. Not going to hang on to it for another 20 years to get antique plates at a reasonable price of $133 a year.... $2400 a year is just too much for me!
          I just don't see how they can charge more than the bike is worth a year just to drive it its ridiculous is it just something about that bike or isn't that expensive for any motorcycle I live in Ohio where it's like $25 a year

Comment

• I pay $300 a year in Michigan and I thought that was kinda high. $200 a month is pretty ridiculous.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

$2400 a year is just too much for me!
              Insane!
              I only pay for tags in FL and its like 25 bucks a year.
              Could your age or driving record have an impact on that price?

Comment

• Age does not have anything to do with it unless you're in that "new" category. When you're new/inexperienced, they might offer you a little higher liability insurance on your plates ($1.5 million instead of 1.0 million) just because it's more likely that you'll be in several serious accidents due to inexperience of driving. The higher liability insurance makes the plates cost slightly more, but not by a lot.

I'm 25, so I'm just outside of that "inexperienced" category of 18-24.

Previous history does play into it a little, we have an integer scale for your driving history (-10 to +10).

My current score on this scale of -10 to +10 is zero. I was previously at a -6, giving me no discount on my plates (pay full price), but after 3 years of zero accidents (only ones where I'm not at fault), I reset to zero (0) on the scale. The lowest my score has ever been is -6 (you get -6 for an at-fault accident).

For each year you don't have an accident, you get a +1. The exception is that after 3 years, if you're lower than -3, you reset to zero if you've had zero accidents (at-fault).

Each point on the positive side of the scale is worth 2% off your plates. +10 therefore gives you 20% off your plates.

Otherwise, no. There's nothing else to affect your plate prices.

At $2,400 this year, and an estimated 5% (minimum) to 10% (maximum) increase next year... I'll be potentially looking at $2640 for my plates.

EDIT: You fellas are all lucky that you don't have to pay what I do. I would ride my Kat 6+ months of the year if I could pay as little as you do.

AND THIS IS ONLY FOR A 600 CC!!!

Increased CC's = costs more. A 1000 GSXR is likely to cost up to 20% more than my 600 Kat. Age also affects the price. I've heard of guys with a 2015 1000 GSXR paying nearly 3,000 for their plates.
                Last edited by Aaron-71; 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM.
                - Aaron

Comment

• This cost is just for plates?!
                  When I got my new plates for the Kat it was $220 out the door for two years. Its only about $25 to renew for a year after that.

Comment

• I had no idea it was like that in Saskatchewan. in Ontario we pay tax on purchase then it's like 100 a year or less for registration.

Insurance was 2400 until I turned 25 now it's just 1300, and could be 750 if I insured my car as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                      This cost is just for plates?!
                      When I got my new plates for the Kat it was $220 out the door for two years. Its only about $25 to renew for a year after that.
                      Yup, this is just for plates, but it covers the mandatory minimum liability/insurance coverage required by the provincial government.

I also have a package policy (extra insurance on top) to reduce the cost of a claim, and increase my liability insurance in case I'm ever in a lethal accident... the cost for this increase in insurance is $131.00 a year.

Plates are $2400. Extra insurance (bare minimum package) is $131.

I wish I could pay as little as $300 a year, every year for plates. This isn't the case.

This is why the Kat is for sale and I want a 1985 Black Suzuki Intruder... antique plates are $133.33 a year, no matter what kind of bike or how big it is.

Antiques in Sask are defined as anything that's 30+ years older. So 1985 is exactly 30 this year.

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
                      I had no idea it was like that in Saskatchewan. in Ontario we pay tax on purchase then it's like 100 a year or less for registration.

Insurance was 2400 until I turned 25 now it's just 1300, and could be 750 if I insured my car as well.
                      Yeah we're a little backwards in Saskatchewan. The provincial government sets the bar for everything. There are ZERO private insurance companies that can supply their own insurance.

There ARE private firms (cherry insurance, schultz gareau insurance, knight archer insurance, etc), but they all HAVE to run their insurance policies through the provincial government (Saskatchewan Government Insurance - SGI). Because SGI controls everything, it doesn't really matter who you get your insurance through, it's ultimately through SGI.

But that's our public-way of doing everything. Government controls it all... it's pretty much communism (at least according to the Texans I've had discussions about Saskatchewan with).
                      Last edited by Aaron-71; 06-05-2015, 10:03 AM.
                      - Aaron

Comment

• Sounds like you need to move to eastern Canada Aaron...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

• Oh 2400 for plates and insurance is nothing. I'd keep on riding.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                            Sounds like you need to move to eastern Canada Aaron...
                            Haha it's certainly an option!

Keep the Kat and move, or sell it and don't. Hmmmm.... priorities

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
                            Oh 2400 for plates and insurance is nothing. I'd keep on riding.
                            Not for me man. Our weather here + my construction work schedule only lets me ride probably 60 days total in summer.
                            - Aaron

Comment

• [QUOTE

Not for me man. Our weather here + my construction work schedule only lets me ride probably 60 days total in summer.[/QUOTE]

that's ONLY $40 a ride. what's the problem?
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Well, both the fork seal project and spare key project keep taking small steps forward.

Got my fork seal driver in (slick piece of engineering it is), hope to get some time in on that repair this weekend (hopefully). Tomorrow it will have been 1 month since my last ride (and 1 month since I started taking the bike apart for the fork seal replacement)!

I went to the key shop that told me they'd cut my keys for me. Of course, that guy wasn't there, so I had to talk the woman who was there into giving it a try. They don't have settings for motorcycle keys, so she had to basically figure it out herself and was concerned about not being able to guarantee success. After 2 years of trying to get keys made for this bike, I don't expect guarantees on anything anymore and finally convinced her that I have no problem settling for "best effort of an expert" and wouldn't hold her liable if it didn't work.

For those unfamiliar with the backstory, none of my local key cutting places can get motorcycle key blanks. The local motorcycle shops can order key blanks, but can't cut keys. To top it off, most places won't cut a key blank that they didn't order.

Anyways, the gas tank/storage compartment key cut went fine (and tested fine when I got home). Glad to have that, since that's the one I was most concerned with. If I break off or lose the ignition key, I can punch that out and replace it pretty easy. The gas tank and storage areas don't look so easy though. However, she was unable to even attempt the ignition key cut. The blank I got from Suzuki doesn't even have the same grooves as my ignition key. Apparently the ignition switch was already replaced in the past with something aftermarket. Sigh, so the project continues (and in the meantime I have a spare $16 Suzuki key blank...).

Comment

Working...
                                X