No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night I completed my wiring harness for my HID's. No pictures of it because it's a massive mess of wiring, but it all works!

Two switches installed on my gauge surround (both LED's). One wired for halos. One wired for HID's. Both are wired from the ignition, so no morons can come by and drain my battery for me.

Also installed brand new throttle cables. Still seem to be a bit sticky, but I need to throw the carbs back on to be sure... Stupid return cable...

Tonight I'll be tossing the carbs back on, adjusting the throttle cables, and syncing. Kat... needs... to... be... ridden...
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Comment

• Day 3 of fork overhaul attempt. Ended up pulling the fairing off to get better access to stuff. It makes things easier to reach, but they're still horribly stuck. Hard to even tell what exactly is supposed to turn when it's this stuck. Everything soaking heavily in PB Blaster again tonight. Time to go open a thread in the mechanics area...

On the plus side if I end up not being able to resolve it, all I have to do is slap on the front wheel and it'll still roll into a trailer to go to a shop.

Comment

• Got the new throttle cables lubed up with some fluid film, installed them into the carbs and spent about an hour trying to get them properly adjusted.

Everything works as it should once again

The problem... I'm pretty sure I flooded my Kat when attempting to sync the carbs one last time before full reassembly. Battery thrown on the charger. Waiting until after sports tonight to sync.

Question: Is it necessary to have those stupid little ring-clips on the rubber vacuum plugs for carbs #1, 2 and 3? I'm getting tired of using those things! They've nearly worn through my vacuum plugs (cuts everywhere!)
        - Aaron

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
          Got the new throttle cables lubed up with some fluid film, installed them into the carbs and spent about an hour trying to get them properly adjusted.

Everything works as it should once again

The problem... I'm pretty sure I flooded my Kat when attempting to sync the carbs one last time before full reassembly. Battery thrown on the charger. Waiting until after sports tonight to sync.

Question: Is it necessary to have those stupid little ring-clips on the rubber vacuum plugs for carbs #1, 2 and 3? I'm getting tired of using those things! They've nearly worn through my vacuum plugs (cuts everywhere!)
          I lost two of em when I synced my carbs. Never had a problem but could be as the rubber caps dry out. Harbor freight has the long medical type locking holding tool (Arsenic knows what they are called). He said it is much easier to remove and install the spring clips using that tool.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
            I lost two of em when I synced my carbs. Never had a problem but could be as the rubber caps dry out. Harbor freight has the long medical type locking holding tool (Arsenic knows what they are called). He said it is much easier to remove and install the spring clips using that tool.
            Kelly Forceps is what you're looking for I think. Cyber Poet referenced them a long long time ago (which is how I know about them).

Glad to know those rings aren't necessarily needed... they're so pointless..
            - Aaron

Comment

• Because I'm getting the oil warning light below 1500 RPM, I've decided the bearings are kinda worn.
              So I'm changing to Mobile 1, 10-40 synthetic…really don't like the price.

Comment

• Back at the fork overhaul project today.

This time with hex sockets (picked up a cheap set last night that I won't cry over if I break) instead of hex keys. Got 1 more fender screw out, but it was mangled badly enough I can't reuse it (it started stripping right as it finally started to release). Totally stripped another fender screw too after that. So, the score is both "front" screws are out, but only 1 of them reusable. Both rear screws stripped and still solidly stuck. Soaking them in PB Blaster again with the plan being to next cut a notch (not sure my rotary tool will fit, bit I also have a metal hand saw) and try to use a straight blade bit.

"Left" side handle bar bolt wouldn't budge. The hex socket was bending, so I quit. That's also soaking in PB Blaster another night. The PB Blaster does go down in there, so I'm thinking that if I keep at it this way I may eventually have success. A better quality hex socket may also help, but we'll cross that bridge if I break my current one. The "right" side handle bar *did* break loose today. It was a very poor fit on my hex key, but the hex socket fit perfect. Relatively drama free compared to everything else in this fork project.

Started soaking the right side upper fork mount bolt in PB Blaster as well since a quick try with the hex key resulted in just a bending tool. Probably going to be more of the same, and no rush there since I don't actually want it fully loose until either the fender is off or the other side handle bar is also off...

Not a bad little project. The only thing that really bugs me is I hear this tick-tock of a clock due to the carbs sitting there not being used... If it was a FI bike, I'd not have any pressure at all, but those pesky carbs make me nervous whenever the bike has to sit for unknown lengths of time!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
                  Back at the fork overhaul project today.

This time with hex sockets (picked up a cheap set last night that I won't cry over if I break) instead of hex keys. Got 1 more fender screw out, but it was mangled badly enough I can't reuse it (it started stripping right as it finally started to release). Totally stripped another fender screw too after that. So, the score is both "front" screws are out, but only 1 of them reusable. Both rear screws stripped and still solidly stuck. Soaking them in PB Blaster again with the plan being to next cut a notch (not sure my rotary tool will fit, bit I also have a metal hand saw) and try to use a straight blade bit.

"Left" side handle bar bolt wouldn't budge. The hex socket was bending, so I quit. That's also soaking in PB Blaster another night. The PB Blaster does go down in there, so I'm thinking that if I keep at it this way I may eventually have success. A better quality hex socket may also help, but we'll cross that bridge if I break my current one. The "right" side handle bar *did* break loose today. It was a very poor fit on my hex key, but the hex socket fit perfect. Relatively drama free compared to everything else in this fork project.

Started soaking the right side upper fork mount bolt in PB Blaster as well since a quick try with the hex key resulted in just a bending tool. Probably going to be more of the same, and no rush there since I don't actually want it fully loose until either the fender is off or the other side handle bar is also off...

Not a bad little project. The only thing that really bugs me is I hear this tick-tock of a clock due to the carbs sitting there not being used... If it was a FI bike, I'd not have any pressure at all, but those pesky carbs make me nervous whenever the bike has to sit for unknown lengths of time!
                  That is why I used fuel stabilizer every fill up all year.
                  Remember you can still start her up and get some fresh fuel through. If you are really worried you can add some stabilizer, let it mix a while and then run it to make sure the fuel with stabilizer makes it into the bowls.

Comment

• Kawi ZZR vs Suzuki GSXF?

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                    My friend's ZZR was running like crap. Thought it might be the carbs because it was sitting all winter, even though he had put StarTron in it. Right before the teardown commenced, I got the idea to use my IR thermometer to look at the exhaust. # 2 header pipe was cold. Hmmm, wonder why ?

The spark plug galley was full of water from a spring washing. Unlike my 750, there isn't a drain hole in his ZZR plug galleys ?? Seems silly. I figured they must be plugged up but after looking it over, there just aren't any drain holes.

Blew the water out with compressed air and all was right again.
                    How would you compare the ZZR to a Katana?
                    On paper they look almost equal. Just wondering.

Comment

• Got my Kat running correctly thanks to 92xjunnker. I read through the Kat Service Manual much too fast the first time through and installed the throttle cables incorrectly! Reps to 92xjunker for kicking me in the arse.

Now they're installed properly, the Kat runs and lives like it should. The throttle snaps back!!! Hurray!

Now just to reassemble the Kat and enjoy it while I can this summer. HID's FTW!!!!!
                      - Aaron

Comment

• Installed the new Lithium Iron Battery.
                        Works great and is so small.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                          Installed the new Lithium Iron Battery.
                          Works great and is so small.
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Definitely digging that battery man...

Wish I had a battery with dual posts. Would be so nice for my HID's and Battery Tender to just leave them connected on the second terminals.
                          - Aaron

Comment

• Fixed my fuel petcock with a rebuild kit. Finally works for the first time ever since owning the bike. Feels good!

Comment

• Kicked it over and screamed at it lol

Finally got the rest of the paint for the frame so that process can begin. Debating whether to get cheap stuff from autozone for the tank and belly pan or if I should spring for the good stuff. Think I can get away with a touch up can and cover those two pieces?
                              '88 Suzuki GSX1100F streetfighter project

Comment

• Bought myself a self-tapping piggy back drain plug for a temporary fix until my new pan comes! Finished mounting up the custom exhaust that I made, bought some clips and bolts for the fairings..Getting the tires mounted on Friday so I'll finally have a roller, fabbing up my custom chain guard/License plate bracket.

How do I take the dash off..jeez. I really want to paint it but the one bolt looks like a total pain in the arse. I just want to paint the plastic..D:
                                Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                                ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X