No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started stripping off all the fairings for the first time, only had the bike for one week.
    Also started cleaning the stock exhaust getting ready to paint also going to start rejetting the original carbs. The service manual really helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      Ha, I've got the opposite. Installed a rebuilt shock back in January and had my springs and emulators arrived in the mail Thursday. Soooooooo looking forward to getting those in!! Definitely feels odd having one end working so much better.
      I did not have money to do the emulators. I was lucky and found someone with the spring set that sold their bike before even opening them. I could not pass on getting them for $70. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has done springs and then emulators later to hear how much difference there is.

Comment

• adjusted the valves, kinda pissed, the new gasket i bought was not the right size so i used the old one and some permatex, so far no leaks. gonna sync carbs again this next weekend.
        1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

• Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
          I did not have money to do the emulators. I was lucky and found someone with the spring set that sold their bike before even opening them. I could not pass on getting them for $70. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has done springs and then emulators later to hear how much difference there is.

ZukiFred's bike has springs, no emulators. Badfaerie's bike has both. I've ridden both. The difference is significant.

Emulators make the slower speeds nice and smooth, the faster speeds you get a much more responsive front end.

Springs stop the massive over all drop on the front end. That dip where they compress and stay down low until you release the front brake, as an example.

Emulators fix how the movement between extended and compressed feels. They make the bumps feel like a smooth road, instead of the OEM suspension transferring the feeling of the bumps to your hands and butt.

Springs are definitely a good start. Emulators are worth the extra when/if you can.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            ZukiFred's bike has springs, no emulators. Badfaerie's bike has both. I've ridden both. The difference is significant.

Emulators make the slower speeds nice and smooth, the faster speeds you get a much more responsive front end.

Springs stop the massive over all drop on the front end. That dip where they compress and stay down low until you release the front brake, as an example.

Emulators fix how the movement between extended and compressed feels. They make the bumps feel like a smooth road, instead of the OEM suspension transferring the feeling of the bumps to your hands and butt.

Springs are definitely a good start. Emulators are worth the extra when/if you can.

Krey
            Good to know. I think I am going to ride mine this year and then plan on doing emulators over next winter. If we get another winter like we had this year I will still get to ride and see how they are.

Comment

• Rear brake lever rubber pad installed today. That was tough going. Lots of prying with a screwdriver. Probably should have lubed it up first, but wasn't sure what would let it slide now, but then dry underneath it and not let it slide later. It's certainly not going to fall off...

Lights all work now, but I'm confused. The new left rear turn signal bulb I got had the correct part number, but was too big to fit, so I just tossed it into my spare light bulb bin (it was only $0.88, no great loss). The turn signal pods look just like factory from what I can tell from the diagram/pictures, I don't think a PO has swapped them. Anyways, the bike had a spare "brake light bulb" (supposedly) that it came with. That was small enough to fit in the turn signal space, so I just went ahead and put it there. The light that was in the spot originally was a small 12v/23w unit, the factory part number replacement was a large 12v/21w, and the supposed taillight bulb was tiny 12v/10w. I didn't look to see what the right rear turn signal has yet, but the 10w bulb very closely matches the right rear in intensity (I can't see any difference)... Kind of glad I didn't try and do an LED upgrade, who knows if any of them would have fit this mutt.

Comment

• New rear tire on new/used wheel to replace old wheel. Painted wheel to match, and re-installed back on bike.

As far as the old wheel, I noticed the bearing was bad when I took it off. So I thought I'd replace the bearing, popped out one side, then attempted the other and it wouldn't bang out. Heated it, hit it with everything possible. Decided I'd cut it out, (a blog post with similar problem suggested it with the right tools. I repair surgical instruments for a living, so I have a shop with various tools to cut, machine, and what not.) So I tried to cut it out, and that didn't even work. The bearing was fused to the wheel or something. Literally pieces chipped out, and others stayed connected to the wheel. Found a wheel on ebay and went from there.

Comment

• Finished putting the bike back together after a fork seal replacement. Replaced the seal two eves ago. Put it all back last night and then came back and torqued everything this eve. Can't wait for Friday to go ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by 90KatSix View Post
                    As far as the old wheel, I noticed the bearing was bad when I took it off. So I thought I'd replace the bearing, popped out one side, then attempted the other and it wouldn't bang out. Heated it, hit it with everything possible. Decided I'd cut it out, (a blog post with similar problem suggested it with the right tools. I repair surgical instruments for a living, so I have a shop with various tools to cut, machine, and what not.) So I tried to cut it out, and that didn't even work. The bearing was fused to the wheel or something. Literally pieces chipped out, and others stayed connected to the wheel. Found a wheel on ebay and went from there.

I feel your pain on this one. I just had a wheel bearing replacement go very bad on one of my cars. Everything was fused together and some of the parts had been discontinued. Ended up buying a whole rear subframe assembly and basically swapping out whole corner... Blah.

Comment

• Noticed fresh oil on the collector end of my headers. Checked oil cap and drain plug, both tight. Checked oil level and all looks OK. Will need to pull off RH fairing and power wash everything. Let it run for a while and see what, if anything, is leaking. Grrrr...
                      sigpic
                      '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

• Got my horn working. Since I bought the bike last August you could hardly hear it. There is an adjustment screw that needed adjusted a bit tweaking.

Comment

• Got my rear brake pads in the mail!

Just waiting on the front pads, and then my SS brake lines from G&J.
                          2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                          - Aaron

Comment

• Took a small ride. Mid 70's today. Had some wow moments with scenery. Colorado blue sky with white clouds, pine forests backed by snow covered peaks. Could smell the pine trees while riding. Only did 85 miles but they were great! Oh, and then lubed my chain.

Comment

• Oil change and install eBay windshield. Windshield mounting holes didn't match. Big surprise.
                              http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

• Experimenting with Plastidip

.. to be continued

Comment

Working...
                                X