No announcement yet.
X

It's back to everyday commuting duty!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's back to everyday commuting duty!!!

Long story short.

Bought 91 Kat 600 last July. Found this place. Took everything apart, upgrade, maintenance, riding bike everyday.

Found 01 Kat 750 parts bike w/ 4K miles. Swapped engine into my Kat and other parts and pieces. Send fairings and tank to be painted. Took longer than expected, didn't come out like I pictured it, guy ended up reducing his price alot.

Went on ride on BRP, got off parkway, played chicken with a guard rail (we'll call it a draw).

Busy as heck with coaching baseball, finally got all the parts I needed and got time to put bike back together.

Ended up spray bombing the replacement LH main fairing, and I'm actually more pleased with the outcome than I am with the other pieces done by a "real" painter (wrong color choice, too much metallic, not evenly applied etc) YES I'm anal, and YES I learned my lesson I'll do it myself next time.

Still have to install the replacement fender. I already painted it and cleared it, need to wet sand and rub it out when I get time.

Paint on LH fairing is Duplicolor Truck/SUV "ultra silver" 3-5 LIGHT coats then I cleared with 2-3 light coats, a medium to heavy coat to finish it off. Would have looked even better if I wet sanded it out, but i wanted to ride.

Notice the broken front fender and the "battle wound" on the LH side of tank.

I took the chance to add some flush mounts up front and I also added some of the rear turn signals that mount using the license plate bolts.

Next up is replacing the front master cylinder and all the crush washers, the front fender, and wiring in the newer switch gear I have.

Rodimus went on a painting spree a while back and his results didn't turn out that great (some prep issues, mostly application issues with the DupliColor rattle can I suspect). I had kept suggeting he get an airbrush set-up and use that to paint with "real paints".

Then a month or three later, on a lark, he retried spraying a small fairing piece (3rd eye panel) with some engine paint and it came out phenomenal. Now he's in the process of redoing his entire bike with that paint... I was personally amazed at how well it came out. No clue if the engine paint will have the right UV inhibitors in it to last, but it goes on quite thick, smooths out fast on it's own and has a very, very high gloss factor to it once it sets up -- I suspect he won't even have to clear it in. Hopefully he'll post more on the whole thing once he's done with the rest of the fairings.

Good luck on your project!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Marc are you referring to this???

It came out Ok- like the other Kat needs a Final Prep Sand and some Blemish removal- but overall- Damn it came out tons better

Comment

Yup, that's what I was talking about!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That shot is really sanding down the white paint that was there. Spraying 3 medium coats (waiting to dry between each one) and very little fine sanding afterwards- there are some missprays in the job that i need to address- but overall the Engine paint went on like butter- i did a month long test of the same Dupilcolor Flat black that is on the D&D Pipe and Mid on the 750's Belly fairing and the only time the paint budged was when i dropped the belly fairing to do the oil change a couple weeks ago. That paint has been on for a month.

Great Looking Kat Ctandc, if you are wondering what i used i went with Duplicolor 600 Degree Engine Paint available at your local auto parts store

I also used it to paint the Nasty Swingarm of the 1200 dollar special- that came out sweet as well

Comment

as long as it rides, who cares how it looks. i'd rather have an ugly bike to ride than a pretty one that sits in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukifan View Post
              as long as it rides, who cares how it looks. i'd rather have an ugly bike to ride than a pretty one that sits in the garage.
              i'd rather a pretty bike to ride

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
              X