X

Hit and Run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run

my bike was hit sitting in its parking space and the driver ran last night.. i have 2 questions..

1.)the bike was on its side for many many hours...what should i do or worry about before i start the bike for the first time?

2.) I got the driver information from a witness. police called, report filed...i only have liabilty insurance..it tore up my rear light, turn signals and left side of the fairing ...should i even have the false hope that i will get any compensation?

any advice is greatly appreciated

That stinks, but at least you have a witness to the incident. Make sure you document all damages - take plenty of pictures of the damaged areas. Because your bike was lying on it's side for quite a while, more than likely the carbs flowed fuel into the engine - drain the oil and refill before attempting to restart the bike. Also keep all bills for the oil, filter, etc to add to the claim. Good luck!
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

So long as the crankcase was not cracked then the motor will be fine.

As far as getting any comp. out of it, it's a long shot. The police will have to prove the witness statements to the vehicle and driver. If that can be proven then the driver's insurance can be billed or you can go after the money by a civil suit.

Personally I would be thankful more was not broken. I know that it is a major bummer that your bike was hit. And it's going to be a major bummer to your wallet. Keep in contact with the law enforcement agency that took the report and they may have something for you.

Comment

That really does sux. Some people are just rat bags. I backed into an old bomb of a car when i was working at the pub after closing up. I left a note and saw the bloke the next day to fix him up . Cost me $700 ( the whole car was not even worth $700) which the bloke spent over the bar in a few days. He was happy
        One day we all will meet our maker, and be judged.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the bike
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

guy in my apts had his bike backed into by a Hummer .. in his office parking lot .. he saw it happen .. but the driver was gone before he could get close enough for a positive id .. other than big ugly vehicle .. with liability you get nothing .. so hoping the witness got good info is your only hope .. good luck
            so many roads so little time

Comment

If it was on its side for a while I would change the oil, just incase gas somehow got mixed with the oil and I would also change the spark plugs.

Comment

Sucks that your bike was hit. At least you weren't on it. These are the reasons, however, that I advocate full coverage on a bike. It's too easy for someone to damage it and take off. With fairings at over $300 in most cases, the $250 deductible I have on mine is nice. Not to mention theft covereage. And with full coverage only costing me $276 a year, not having it is a brainless decision in my opinion.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Sorry to hear what happened. You might also want to post your legal questions on some of the online legal help forums to find best course of action.
                  sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

that sucks. I hope u get some of your money back if not all of it, but I don't see that happening. Good luck!
                    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Sorry to hear what happened

Comment

Working...
                      X