X

running highbeams all the time???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running highbeams all the time???

I was told by my local dealer that driving with my highbeams on during the day puts way too much strain on charging system and will kill my battery and generator. Is this true ? I've only killed my battery because o constantly left my parking lights on by accident. I obviously drive this way cause cages still cant seem to see me and my hyperwhite lights. Driving with highbeams , around here anyway, seems to help tremendously.
    " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

i have had my high beams on for 10 months now and i have never had a problem with them . and as far as i know there will not be as long as the bike is running . and the drivers licence hand book it has a section that says it is a good idea to use high beams at all times

Comment

Never heard of that one before.

Comment

Don't talk to the dealer, talk to the mechanic.

I've always ridden with highbeams. Never had a problem.

Comment

Ok..i figured the guy was full of it. As i had not had problems myself.
          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

I keep mine on high, night and day. Never a problem.

Comment

I have ridden with my highbeams on for the last couple of years. I have not had any battery/charging troubles, but I do keep it on the Battery Tender if I can't ride for more than 3 or 4 weeks.

I love having people switch their rearview mirrors in the daytime.
              If my headlights are annoying to them, I know they see me.

Comment

Highbeams during the day here as well. No battery problems either.
                Keith Paton
                Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
                13 GSXR750

Comment

Bikes are designed to use high beams during the day and low at night....I even think my manual says so..

Comment

High beams all the way in the day time, never had a problem.. even on my old yamaha, 81, still ran high's and the battery lasted its expected lifetime.

Comment

The 98+ stock bulbs are 55 watts per side on low beam, 60 watts per side on high beam; this is referred to as 55/60 normally. The extra 10 watts between the two bulbs on high beam will not make any significant difference to your charging system if it is healthy and as Suzuki designed it.

On the other hand, if you are running over-powered bulbs (say a 70/100 or a 100/130), the difference could be enough that with a poorly-running charging system you could have issues.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

High beams during the day, always, and I have never had a problem.

Not only is it legal to do so here in Massachusetts, it is also highly encouraged by the MSF.
                        "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Only problem here in N.Y. is the driver in front may think you are trying to piss him off and have a road rage episode!!!!LOL

Comment

We have low beams? haha, mine is always on hi, and no problems. It's an aftermarket bulb, but I don't remember what it is. Has a blue tint to it instead of dull yellow like the stock one...and still, never a battery problem.

I would think being seen is more important than replacing my battery a little early anyways.... Good Luck!

TJ
                            2002 R1
                            Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Originally posted by Macka
                              High beams during the day, always, and I have never had a problem.

Not only is it legal to do so here in Massachusetts, it is also highly encouraged by the MSF.
                              it is NOT legal in oregon. yes... i have been pulled over for having the on high ( on my old ninja )

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X