X

Max miles expected for kat600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max miles expected for kat600?

About how many miles does the average GSX600 get? Under nomal operating conditions, and regular mantance? I have a 2000 600 and I was just wondering how long my baby will last.... -Steve

You can get 50 -100 if you take care of it.

Comment

What is the most you have ever seen on a 98+ 600 machine?

Comment

i believe a former member from a former site had passed 50k on a 98+ before he trashed it

most bikes die due to mishap

if you treat it right, it will last a lot longer than you'll keep it

Comment

except for the size of the valves and the bore, there is not much difference between the 600 and the 1100....and I put over 120k miles on my 1100.
          Unless you beat the crap out of it, the motor should go for as long as you want to keep the bike. In most vehicles, the motor usually outlast the body, providing you keep the oil fresh and don't abuse it too bad.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Masrapido had (I think) 90,000 kms on his, which is 56,000 miles before it went.
            Kyle

Comment

It's just like anything else.. cars or bikes.. if u take care of them, they will treat you right.. you'll have routine maint. and parts that just wear out like anything else.. but if you ride it right and keep up w/ reg. maint and oil changes, there's no reason you shouldnt go well over 50,000 and like the others said, 100K is not inconceivable, although most people dont keep bikes that long.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                Masrapido had (I think) 90,000 kms on his, which is 56,000 miles before it went.

thanks for mentioning, i forgot about that pre98 kat with lots of miles,
                owned by our bad-hair spanish friend.....

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                  56,000 including a LOT of hard riding (I'm pretty sure he posted many track days on his Kat)

Comment

I have over 40K on my 91 and it still has excellent compression numbers and runs like a champ. I flog it on a regular basis when I am home to do so!
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Always keep the oil fresh and stay away from the redline as much as possible and it will last you probably as long as you want to keep it.

Comment

well ive had my bike fora year, its a 93 and has 35000+ on shr, all i do is keep up on the 12 point inspection before riding and make shure you know your bike the older it is.

my bike was beaten up and all stock parts, and i have put about 500-700$ into the bike
                        full exhaust
                        fender elimator kit
                        chain and sprocket 530 stock
                        basic oil changes every 2-3000 miles
                        and the 12 point inspection before every ride.
                        tire pressure, chain tenstion, lights, tire wear, etc.
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        Lean in Lean out.
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                        2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                        2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                        2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

IMO, if one can only get 50K miles out of one of these motorcycles, they are abusing it, or they had an accident... i have a friend with an '82 GS650 (first generation kat) that has over 75,000 on it with only a top-end overhaul, and i personally own a CB750 (honda) with nearly 50K that has never had *any* rebuild work done to it--- it needs and will soon get a carb rebuild, but runs strong otherwise, all the way TO THE REDLINE, almost everytime i ride it... oil and filter is changed at 1,500 mile intervals--- oil is cheap... i have run the piss out of this bike for 4 years, and have scraped up hard parts to prove it (much less clearance than a kat)...
                          YMMV, but if you take care of your bike, it will take care of you... dont skimp on service/adjustment intervals, keep oil fresh and carbs clean, and RIDE IT REGULARLY...
                          a

gather 'round, children

Comment

I knew a courier in England who got about 135k miles out of his before it was ready to give up the ghost -- and that was with no major repairs... he could have probably gotten 200k out of it if he hadn't needed to ride it through every conceivable situation (such as tons of potholes, salt-strewn winter roads, snow, ice, etc) with minimal maintenance at that.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              I knew a courier in England who got about 135k miles out of his before it was ready to give up the ghost -- and that was with no major repairs... he could have probably gotten 200k out of it if he hadn't needed to ride it through every conceivable situation (such as tons of potholes, salt-strewn winter roads, snow, ice, etc) with minimal maintenance at that.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              I believe it. Like I said, 120k+ on my 92....and I will be honest, towards the end I knew I was going to restore it, so I neglected alot of the maintenance. 7-8k miles between oil changes....cuz it would burn a quart every 4-500 miles. The last time the valves were adjusted was probably at 75k or so. I changed the plugs once when I got the bike with 7k miles on it....and again at maybe 50-60k or so. And the last20k miles I put on it were about as hard as one could do. Brake burns in 2nd at redline....even past redline a few times. The last one I did at night was so intense that it look like one of those sparklers you see on the 4th of July coming out my exhaust. aside from tires, brakes, oil changes and chain/sprockets....I never put a cent in the bike. I am sure if I kept the same attitude towards keeping it up to par as I did when I first bought it, I could have put 200k on it. The motor still ran good except that it smoked and burned oil (needed a ring job) when I parked the bike.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X