How bad is it...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is it...

to run with poorly adjusted valves?

After almost a full year of work on my 1992 Katana 600 (it was $300 for a reason) I finally got it back together and running fairly well. The only problem is that the valves are quite noisey. I know I need to do a valve adjustment soon, but can I get away with putting it off until winter? Apart from a slightly rough idle it runs fine, but I'm curious if this is the kind of thing that's going to cause lasting damage if I let it go for another ~1k miles?
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Pretty sure mine could do with an adjustment too, will be interested to hear the response...
    1992 GSX750f

Comment

Without knowing your bike's history, it's hard to say. But, IMO, doing your valves is something that ought not wait. I left mine go for a season and nothing bad happened. Still wish I had done it sooner. You've got a rough idle? More likely that it's a carb issue than valves.

Be prepared to adjust valves, service your chain tensioner, clean sync your carbs.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

given you have screw type adjusters (i dont know) valves are pretty easy to adjust. hardest part is getting everything out of the way (tank, coils, wiring, etc) beware you dont strip the allen nuts and bolts holding the valve cover down. I think there is a pair (one each) hid front and back too. Cyber sells the adjuster tool for like $5, a good investment
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Difficult to say without knowing the bikes history but from your post i guess you have doubts as to if its been done recently so you should get it done BEFORE you have problems imo

If its a locknut & screw head you risk, scored cams, worn followers, damaged valve seats & at worst bending or dropping a valve by not doing it

Its not to much of a job to do if you have the slightest mechanical knowlage, a few decent tools & a manual, half a days work maybe or call it a day if you do an oil & filter change, gap the plugs & sync the carbs , not worth leaving it imho
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Heck, mine were in spec at the last service interval and one popped on the Dragon leaving me stranded and f'd for a couple hours. Luckily I had a good 10 people riding with me (thanks guys!!!) who waited for help...

Do them... Now... Its easy...
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Working...
            X