X

Trailering question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering question

Thanks guys for the great oil filter and oil change info. This is one of the most informative boards I visit. I have another question. I will be trailering my Kat to Florida next month for the yearly family vacation. Do you recommend covering the bike for the trip down and if so, what do you use??

I would not cover the bike while trailering it. The cover could flap and cause scratches and other damage. I would just leave it uncovered the cab of the truck will provide a lot of protection.

Comment

I agree. Covering the bike isn't going to do much for it, and unless the cover is shrink-wrapped on there, it'll flap somewhat and probably damage the paint. If you must have it covered, I'd suggest buying an enclosed trailer
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Thanks, those were my exact concerns.

Comment

You could have someone else drive, and you could sit on the bike in the trailer and make vroom-vroom sounds. Thats what I'm gona do.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

OK, as a Floridian, I have to tell you, that unless you are permanently moving here, it is totally uncool to trailer your bike here... Ride it here and pull the truck behind you if necessary... Or leave your truck in Valdosta and ride the rest of the way :P

<Sick of visiting "trailer week" at Daytona>

=-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Florida question: I will be visiting Florida next month. Traveling ALL the way down south to Miami. Which is preferable (for speed and time concerns): The turnpike or the interstate?

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Originally posted by Accidental
                Florida question: I will be visiting Florida next month. Traveling ALL the way down south to Miami. Which is preferable (for speed and time concerns): The turnpike or the interstate?
                Where are you coming from and what speed do you like to average?

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

besides if u cover it up while trailering..people wont be able to stare at your bike and wish they had one too!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    I will be coming from I-75 (from Georgia) and I will want to be averaging 83-85 with many 90+ bursts to make good time. (Sorry for the hi-jack)

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      I will be coming from I-75 (from Georgia) and I will want to be averaging 83-85 with many 90+ bursts to make good time. (Sorry for the hi-jack)
                      Stick to I-75 all the way south to Naples/Fort Meyers and then cross Alligator Alley. Avoid both the Florida Turnpike and as much of I-95 as possible, as both are extremely heavily patrolled for speed (esp. I-95).

On I-75 southbound, your likely speed trap locations are:
                      First 15 miles into Florida (i.e. between the Florida border and the I-10 cross), especially the first 3 miles. Day and Night.
                      Alachua/High Springs exit to the last Gainesville exit - about 10 miles (local police). Most times of the day and night.
                      All three Ocala exits -- about 3 miles long (local police). Usually late morning/evening, plus randomly as the local police use that stretch to move about the city.
                      One sweeping down-hill right hander about 6 miles prior to the Hernando-Pasco county borders (no exit closeby; next exit is Blanton road; in zoom mode in MapQuest, it's one of the few places the I-75 is visibly split). Usually manned sporatically after dark until about 3:30am by state troopers.
                      CR-56 exit (from mile marker 276 to mile marker 274). Usually mid-afternoon and 7 to 11PM.
                      Brandon exits (from mile marker 258 to 254, cops in the medium under the overpasses). Usually mornings and late afternoon.
                      First and last 15 miles of the Alligator Alley (i.e. - within 15 miles of the toll plaza's). Day and night.

In general, you shouldn't get any hassles doing 85 through most of Florida on this route (exception: Alligator Alley first & last stretches), and if you pass through this route between 10pm and 7am, you can expect to see minimal police presence everywhere except those spots I listed as night or day & night.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Goodness CP, thank you for the thorough information. I appreciate your time with this matter and will use your advice during my trip (printed). Ill make note on my roadmaps and in my head about these areas.
                        I am really looking foward to visiting Miami as I have never been there before.
                        Cheers.

Go Vols! UT '05 Grad

Comment

Goodness CP, thank you for the thorough information. I appreciate your time with this matter and will use your advice during my trip (printed). Ill make note on my roadmaps and in my head about these areas.
                          I am really looking foward to visiting Miami as I have never been there before.
                          Cheers.
                          KNOW THIS ABOUT MIAMI:
                          If the bike isn't locked down to something permanent, it's history. Nobody I know in the Miami-Dade area has owned the same bike over a year because of the theft.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK, as a Floridian, I have to tell you, that unless you are permanently moving here, it is totally uncool to trailer your bike here... Ride it here and pull the truck behind you if necessary... Or leave your truck in Valdosta and ride the rest of the way
                            I lived in Boca Raton for quite awhile and just trailered 2 bikes down last winter so one of my old buddies could ride to the keys with me
                            The best/quickest/shortest way for you to get to Miami from Georgia is to take I-75 down to the Florida Turnpike, continue down it and cross over to I-95 in the Lake Worth/Palm Beach area, then continue on down to Miami on I-95. You can speed all you like, b/c everyone else will be!
                            '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                            X