No announcement yet.
X

Katana with a Gixxer engine anyone????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually, here is a pic of the 95 1100 Kat as it was sold in sweden.
    we all have things we would do if we won the lottery. one thing I would definately do is track down which countries the kats were sold to up until 97, and I would go there and bring one of each back from years 94-97.

[img][/img]
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I do not know about the rest of the group but I was curious. So then my 1100 with a few mods is very undercarb'ed... humm Thanks
      William the Wild1
      Red 1992 1100 only dumped once by a little old lady, in 7K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild1_Robertson
        I do not know about the rest of the group but I was curious. So then my 1100 with a few mods is very undercarb'ed... humm Thanks
        Not really. You won't get much more hp by adding bigger carbs. It goes a bit beyond that. More gas equal more rpm. so there are some subtle changes in the engine. The crankshaft is different in the 2. Both are interchangeable between each other, as long as you swap the clutch basket with it. The one in the gix has a straight-cut gear driving the clutch basket, and the kat is cut on an angle. This causes a bit more friction than the straight one, which robs you of a bit of hp. not much, but a bit...maybe 5-7 hp. The gix also has more heavy duty spring on the valves to help with the higher rpm (I think..more than a few told me yes, a couple told me no). the kat redlines at 10,500...i think the gix is 12...possiblely 13. So just adding bigger carbs won't give you a thing....well not much anyway. The Canadian kat has 136hp, and the US model I believe is 128hp. I am not 100% sure on that, but that number seems to be familiar. So ya. maybe you are a bit undercarbed, as all US bikes are due to EPA policy...and Cali is even worse off. Their carbs are 2mm below the other states on some models. But I don't think it is enough to be concerned about to go through the trouble of swapping carbs unless you are going all out. You can make up the difference in torque between the Can and US model by dropping a tooth on your front sprocket for much cheaper. You can also jet the carbs you have, although I was told through several sources that the kat jetting is hard to beat and will work just fine if you add a header.

Comment

Yes, I know pics need to be posted, and I will do it tonight when I get home. Didn't have time to do it last night. I'll tell you this much though. That freaking thing can move, and Corey found out that it can wheelie as well.

He was tuning in the carbs, and they were running to rich, and it was bogging down. Well he hit the throttle kinda hard, trying to get over the bog, and all the sudden it kicked in and WHAM! Up goes the front end!

I think I am gona have to rebuild the front with some better springs until I can invest in a gixxer front end.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Pics posted in the pic and video forum.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

WOW WIWOWOWOWWOWOWWW
              ------------------------------------------------------
              Lean in Lean out.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
              2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
              2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
              2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

and I would go there and bring one of each back from years 94-97.
                So when do we leave :P
                'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

Originally posted by MTFYR
                  ahhh.....spoken like a true 1100 fan. i think we will get along just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    Originally posted by MTFYR
                    ahhh.....spoken like a true 1100 fan. i think we will get along just fine
                    Sweden is nice in the summer

94 red: http://www.blocket.se/view/4827350.h...l=0&c=1&city=0

95 black: http://www.blocket.se/view/5023753.h...l=0&c=1&city=0

95 red: http://www.blocket.se/view/4911048.h...l=0&c=1&city=0

Bikes are pretty expensive though... 1 USD = ~7.30 SEK. 1 mil = 10 km
                    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

man....the 2 red ones are sweet. how much do the 2 red ones come to in canadian? i can't even read what is says. 35,000 kr is what in US or Canadian?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        man....the 2 red ones are sweet. how much do the 2 red ones come to in canadian? i can't even read what is says. 35,000 kr is what in US or Canadian?
                        35,000 SEK = about 4,780 USD or 6,000 CAD... (7.32 SEK/USD, 5.83 SEK/CAD according to xe.com)

The dollar is quite weak at the moment, but bikes are expensive over here. Cheapest in Europe is probably Germany - a lot of Swedes buy vehicles there.

Check out these places:
                        MotoScout24.de search
                        Mobile.de search
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

The black one doesn't do it for me, but if I could get either of those red ones delivered here for $6000 Cdn, even both for $10,000, I think I would do it. Unless someone else has imported that model to North America, they would definately be one a kind.

Comment

If you are really serious about it, I'll hold an eye on the ads... have no idea how much shipping could be, though. I have a friend that used to import old cop cars from the US, he got good deals on shipping since he filled an entire container every time...

The real deals are made in off-season though, especially in northern Europe..
                            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                              If you are really serious about it, I'll hold an eye on the ads... have no idea how much shipping could be, though. I have a friend that used to import old cop cars from the US, he got good deals on shipping since he filled an entire container every time...

The real deals are made in off-season though, especially in northern Europe..
                              I am semi-serious about it at the moment...as I am seriously considering it. However it won't happen soon. I plan on moving as soon as my shit is settled here...and I am not sure to where yet. So it will probably be next year before I actually go for it. When the time is right, I will probably take a vacation to Europe to look for a bike. I would visit europe with a bike or 2 already planned to look at, buy it if it is what I want.....then spend a week touring around over there on the bike (if I can legally do so). Then ship it home. I have always wanted to visit europe, so this would kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

Not a bad idea. But the easiest way for you to do some touring here would be to lend a bike, since the temporay registrations may take some time (and you would need to get insurance too).

Here is how it works in Sweden: http://www.vv.se/templates/page3____3387.aspx

And in Belgium: http://www.belgium.be/eportal/applic...=6062#anchor_4
                                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X