X

advice on how to ship fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on how to ship fairings

so i'm trying to sell some fairings, and i can't seem to figure out how some sellers on ebay are able to ship fairings for that cheap... i have the two main pieces and two rear pieces, and the box i have gets quotes from fedex, ups for like 90, and usps is even more... anyone have any suggestions on how to lower the cost? a buddy of mine had said he had heard of people shipping stuff on a greyhound bus, but i don't know how reliable that is....

Originally posted by joeyz34 View Post
    so i'm trying to sell some fairings, and i can't seem to figure out how some sellers on ebay are able to ship fairings for that cheap... i have the two main pieces and two rear pieces, and the box i have gets quotes from fedex, ups for like 90, and usps is even more... anyone have any suggestions on how to lower the cost? a buddy of mine had said he had heard of people shipping stuff on a greyhound bus, but i don't know how reliable that is....
    If you ship via Greyhound, your fairings are liable to get hacked apart by a psycho with a knife.........
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

um... well alot of the time people will sell and item on ebay and post there shippin super cheap cause they roll the price into the item....

like a racing seat going for 300 bucks shipped....

they will sell it for like 280... 20 shipping....

or 20 bucks... 280 shipping....

so it hard to compare your cost to others somtimes..... search though cyberpoet did a great writ up on shipping....
      THE EMAIL BANDIT
      F4 I stunted out
      Cbr900 (low and stretched)
      MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Originally posted by FastJetta97 View Post
        um... well alot of the time people will sell and item on ebay and post there shippin super cheap cause they roll the price into the item....

like a racing seat going for 300 bucks shipped....

they will sell it for like 280... 20 shipping....

or 20 bucks... 280 shipping....

so it hard to compare your cost to others somtimes..... search though cyberpoet did a great writ up on shipping....
        yeah, I saw CP's post, but it wasn't too much help for my situation

Comment

There's no dirt-cheap way for you to ship front upper fairings for a 98+ because of their size via any of the standard carriers that you'd immediately think of (UPS, FedEx, USPS) without a larger account with them -- all will get over-sized surcharges on the box size that will eat you alive.

What you need to think of is people who transit slower and haul bigger packages. Greyhound isn't a bad choice, but my first instinct would be to call Joel Bachman over at FreightQuote and ship it via ground freight terminal-to-terminal. Since it won't be heavy (compared to volume -- your box & packing materials will probably weigh more than the fairings themselves), and it can be stuck atop other stuff in a big semi trailer, it should travel fairly cheap.

Far more critical, IMHO, is how to prep & package the fairings to ensure they won't get damaged. You're going to need a lot of bubble wrap and a lot of popcorn, plus a really sturdy box (or more than one).

You might also want to give a yell out to Bob Brown at EmpireGP.com and ask him how he ships his oversized fairings normally (they plastic weld & repaint fairings as their primary business).

Q: Is the buyer paying for the shipping? If so, leave it to them to choose how they want it delivered...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've shipped plastics UPS before. The key is to get the box as small as possible. Suit boxes are good choices. Then just make sure to bubble wrap it up as much as possible.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
            X