X

New experience I was totally not prepared for

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New experience I was totally not prepared for

So in the time I spent in MSF, reading these forums, and talking to friends about motorcycles, this scenario never entered my mind.

This past weekend, I rode up to Skyline Drive in Virginia. It was an awesome trip, great scenery, and my first real road trip. The day's total was 440 miles, of which 110 miles was the scenic drive where speed limit is 35.

The second half of the scenic section was pretty deserted. I hadn't seen another car or bike for about 10 minutes when I came around a corner and found a black bear standing in the middle of the road. I put the brakes on, and came up about 60 feet short of him.

He was pacing back and forth across the road, and as I looked him over, I got to thinking that he definately looked big enough to mess me up, but also small enough that mama might still be around. So here I'm trying to keep an eye on him while I scan around for a possible mama bear. I'm concerned because the road is too narrow (and ditches too deep) to easily whip the bike around if he came towards me, and I've got ear plugs in so I might not be able to hear any growling. I don't feel comfortable that a car coming from behind me would see me in time to stop.

I stayed like that for a couple minutes, hoping some big SUV would come along and scare him off. No luck. So I decide maybe I'll scare him off by flashing my lights at him. Well, that got him to stop pacing and he just started staring at me. Damn. Well, might as well try the horn.

Honk honk.

Damn, didn't get that new horn installed. This wimpy little stock horn is so weak that .....uh oh. Now he's walking towards me. Well that's no good. I start backing up and turning to be able to attempt a quick exit when he stops about 40 feet short of me. Looks at me for 10 seconds, then wanders off into the woods.

So what else could I have done with wildlife that could potentially eat me?

Well, if you'd invited others from the forum to go with you to Skyline, you'd have safety in numbers. But noooo......

Love that ride. I'd like to hit it again before the fall...

Last time I was up there, I saw a lot of deer, so as the saying goes: Where there's dinner, there are diners...
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

You can't outrun a bear but your bike can. At 40' however he would have had you half digested by the time you got the bike turned around. And even with earplugs in you can be darn sure you'd hear a bear growl. I'd have turned around and put a little more distance between myself and the beast and then just waited it out. Things like bear spray (pepper spray) are great if you're hiking and it's your only defense but on a bike your best defense is the distance you can put between you and bear.

Comment

why would you think flashing your lights would scarce the bear? and taking a chance that you would attract the Bear's attention toward you putting distance between you and that bear should have been your first and only actions,little bears big bears a bear is a bear and giving them space is the way to go
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I'm so very, very relieved we don't have bears in this country!
          1992 GSX750f

Comment

I've been told that bears don't like loud noises and movement. If you rev your engine, honk you horn, and try to wave your arm and jump around, that should scare it off.

Otherwise, maybe you should buy a pistol and carry it with you when you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post

I'm so very, very relieved we don't have bears in this country!
              No, but you do have swishy, inbred monarchs.

Just kidding, I got that from a show I saw years ago.

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
              I've been told that bears don't like loud noises and movement. If you rev your engine, honk you horn, and try to wave your arm and jump around, that should scare it off.
              ...or attract its attention and spark its interest...

Personally, If you can rev your engine, you've nothing to worry about because you can zip outta there quickly. Bears aren't fast enough to catch you on your Kat. -They ride Harley Sportsters.
              Last edited by Nero; 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Very helpful info for anyone that ever encounters this situation:
                guy fights over salmon with bear and kicks the bear in the nuts

Comment

Well, back in high school the flashing headlights scared off one bear, although I was in a pickup truck which is a bit more intimidating to start with. I also know that shooting a bear with a pistol is a bad idea. A guy in my hometown shot a bear with his .45 and it chased him down and mauled him for it. My biology teacher had pictures of strips of the guy's cheek hanging down below his chin. Pretty disturbing.

In retrospect, I probably should have turned around and headed back right away. I guess I figured the headlights and horn would be enough to scare it off. The minute the horn didn't work, I started making for the hills.

And yes, I've been duly chastised for not inviting others with. I thought of it, but I half expected to get tired and turn around before I even got to skyline. Next time I'll do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    -They ride Harley Sportsters.
                    that's one of the funniest things I've read so far this week!

Edited to add: Not sure you'd want to be mauled by one of them either.... but to each his or her own.

Comment

All the more reason to CCW.....

Comment

Comment

carry a fish in a tank bag next time you go for that ride. If throwing food doesn't distract him, the smell after a day in a tank bag might
                          Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                          Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

OMG!!!

Originally posted by JACKAL View Post
                            carry a fish in a tank bag next time you go for that ride. If throwing food doesn't distract him, the smell after a day in a tank bag might
                            Jackal, that's just so wrong in soooooooooooooooooo many ways!!!

You're terrible man!

Comment

Originally posted by Lxpony View Post
                              All the more reason to CCW.....
                              A large CCW. Keep the .22 and the butterfly knife at home.
                              =USAF= Retired

Comment

Working...
                              X