X

You take the tailgate off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You take the tailgate off?

Ok, so yet another hauling question, and i didn't find anything searching. Does anyone remove their tailgate when loading there cycle into their truck? I hadn't even thought about this, until i was on a 4X4 Site, and someone on there said it was a good idea? anyones thoughts? thanks guys/girls/ and other.

For street bikes, I do remove my tailgate...mainly because I load myself, and my truck actually increases in height as you go further back to the tailgate, so removing it actually saves me a couple of inches in height to overcome. What I did was take some 2X8s and make a little landing that hooks in between the bumper and the bed, resting on the bumper. This gives me a good solid base to ramp up with. Again, I load alone...if you have people to help you, removing the tailgate probably isn't necessary.

Comment

Right, if ur loading and unloading alone.. every inch you can save is helpful.. all the times i've hauled bikes before, I was able to find a nice bank to backup to and just ride on or push it off.. not always the case depending on where you are going though. but keeping the tailgate on allows you to use a bed extender and gain some more space for hauling your gear and what not.

Comment

i keep my tailgate on,the same reasons as above.

Comment

Yup, that's why I leave it on for dirt, and bought this neat little bed extender...

Comment

I have a Ranger so I need to keep the tailgate on 'cause the bike rides on the edge of it. Hmmm...never thought about those chinzy little cables holding all that weight. Might have to rethink this...
            My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

no need to remove it if u have this.. wide enough to load / unload urself.. just ride it up/ roll it off

Die MOTORWORLD bietet Eventlocations in allen Größen und für jeden Anlass: Kunden- und Mitarbeiterevents, Roadshows, Tagungen, Konferenzen

Comment

You said Load.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

funny funny.... NOT !!

Comment

Only if it won't shut and the rear wheel isn't resting on it.
                    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Nope, I leave mine on.

Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Haha, I shut mine. Put it in a little sideways, use four straps to hold it down, and slam the gate shut. Never had a problem, and it rode without a single problem for 3 hours back there one day. I have a big hill at my house though that I can back my truck up to in order to unload it. I can usually drive around and find some sort of slope to load/unload it too if I'm in a different town.

So, I suppose it's whatever is most convenient for you?
                        2002 R1
                        Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

i have to keep mine on as the bike wil nto fit with it off.
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by naskie18
                            Nope, I leave mine on.

Hey, nice looking bike!! I really like the color...haven't seen it before, is it "custom"?? 8)
                            My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
                              Hey, nice looking bike!! I really like the color...haven't seen it before, is it "custom"?? 8)
                              Thanks I think its a factory color, just either goofy lighting or my camera being funky. Some better pics of it can be found here

Nick
                              Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Working...
                              X