Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

May have found the perfect headphones...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have found the perfect headphones...

Dude, I think I may have found the perfect headphones for an in-helmet system. Plantronics .Audio 90

Poly, formerly Plantronics & Polycom, is now an HP brand. Learn how HP and Poly collaboration solutions can create more meaningful meetings for your workforce.

112db sensitivity, so they should be usable even with a lot of wind noise. They've also got a mic built in, so with some modification they should be the perfect solution for those of us wanting headphones and the ability to talk. I'm going to order a set and see what I can do to get them in the helmet. I'll post up another article (or reply to this one) when I get this done if it's even possible. I'll be using CP's article as a basis, but there will be differences I'm sure.

Let me know how that goes. I have had super bad luck with Plantronics. I do alot of gaming and use comms like teamspeak and ventrillo, and the quality of sound is great and the guys say my voice comes across much clearer with plantronics, but they just don't last. I went through 3 sets (warrantied) where the wiring would go faulty. 2x at the control for volume/mute....1x at the headset where one speaker would cut out. I bought a cheap set for $20 because i was tired of the bs and they have been working great.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

thats not a bad price either.. good find!

Comment

Cool beans... let me know how it goes on the disassembly/install process... Just be sure to measure first -- you may have a hard time shoe-horning a 4cm speaker into a typical helmet opening.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, it could be a challenge. I just took some measurements and made a circular template with my Scorpion EXO-700 helmet and the 4cm diameter will fit within the ear hole, but depth could be an issue. I'll just have to get a set and find out...

I'm also sitting here looking at my Sony MDR605PL headphones thinking, "If I can get that driver in there, I'm sure the plantronics will work too, right?"

EDIT: Just did a little research on the Sony's and found that they are indeed a 40mm driver, just like the proposed plantronics model. I did a quick dis-assembly on the Sony's as well and found that they are 11-12 mm deep. I think based on that I should be able to find/make a suitable model (probably a scotch tape roll) to test with.

EDIT 2: A test fitting with some post-it's (full pad, 40mmx50mmx10mm thick) and I think it will work. There was very light if any contact at all with the outer portion of the ears, and I don't think 1-2mm more of thickness will make a big difference.

Comment

I found that these work great with my full face helmet

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

I am interested in knowing as well. Corey and I were thinking of getting those lil 2 way radios so we could converse on our long trips, but didn't want to spend all the money on Chatterbox's or something like that, those look like they may work alright, wonder how they would deal with the wind noise.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                I am interested in knowing as well. Corey and I were thinking of getting those lil 2 way radios so we could converse on our long trips, but didn't want to spend all the money on Chatterbox's or something like that, those look like they may work alright, wonder how they would deal with the wind noise.
                If you wear ear plugs wind noise won't be a problem AND you will be able to hear the sound better. As far as hooking it up to the little two way radios... shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to see about making some adapters to connect to various things, since it's got the dual plugs. One of those things is going to be an adapter to plug in to the headset jack for my cell phone, which I believe is the same as the headset jack for most 2 way radios.

Comment

Originally posted by escahoe

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...eadphones_hear

I've used these and to tell you the truth I really didn't like them. Really hurt putting my helmet on and especially taking it off.

Personally, I prefer these.

MD86 turned me on to them and they are AWESOME !!!
                  Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                  Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I just epoxied in the earbuds that came with my MP3 player, as long as I've got it cranked up to about 3/4 volume or more I can hear the tunes terrifically, even the quiet ones

Doesn't help those of you who want a mic, though
                    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Originally posted by JACKAL
                      Originally posted by escahoe

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...eadphones_hear

I've used these and to tell you the truth I really didn't like them. Really hurt putting my helmet on and especially taking it off.

Personally, I prefer these.

MD86 turned me on to them and they are AWESOME !!!
                      Not to be an ass but, did you actually disassemble the headphones and remount the speakers in the helmet? I did some testing with some hard pieces approximating the dimensions last night and it seemed to work fine, and didn't have a hard time getting the helmet off and on.

Comment

I wasn't talking about wind-noise for the speakers, I was talking about wind-noice with the mic, and how well the mic would pick up speech with the wind-noise.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I wasn't talking about wind-noise for the speakers, I was talking about wind-noice with the mic, and how well the mic would pick up speech with the wind-noise.
                          OIC... Well, isn't that what the little foamy-thingy on the end is for?

Comment

Originally posted by TemtnF8
                            That foamy thing is good for about 5mph of wind noise reduction.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              Originally posted by TemtnF8
                              That foamy thing is good for about 5mph of wind noise reduction.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              So basically, we just add another foamy thing for ever extra 5mph.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X